REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Lowering springs or coilover sleeves? And why? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607404-lowering-springs-coilover-sleeves-why.html)

GTX 03-02-2010 03:17 AM

Lowering springs or coilover sleeves? And why?

Hmmm...I want to lower my wagon, but not sure which route to take.

I've found two sets of springs, made by the same company...about the same price. One is a 1.8" all around drop, the other is a 0-4" coilover cup/sleeve kit...

Which one is better and why? (I understand that the coilover cups give me adjustment...I just don't get why anyone would go with static springs if you can go adjustable for the same price...)

Thanks,
T.

Cillu 03-02-2010 04:26 PM

You just answered your own question in that last sentence.

If I were to choose coilover sleeves or lowering springs, I'd choose the former because it costs the same AND you can adjust the height to whatever you want it to be.

bigpun1 03-24-2010 09:58 AM

coilover sleeves usually give you a shit ride, unless you actually spend the money and get some good ones. my suggestion is but some h&r,eibach springs

neilb33 03-24-2010 10:50 AM

Adjustable sleves are "ok" but its usually a hassal trying to get a solid ride height all the way around...not to mention it really takes a toll on your alignment

IMO If you were to find some drop springs with a variable spring rate it would give you the best of both worlds really, you get a smooth comfortable ride but still have aggressive handling characteristics under heavier loads + you dont have to worry about any rubbing or clearance issues with your tires..

The real question is..are you just wanting to look good or do you compete in autoX, drag...w/e?

Rich Sandor 03-24-2010 11:00 AM

For starters, coil over sleeves are dubious. If they aren't installed properly, they can break loose with disastrous results. Also, your shocks have a set valving. Shock valving and spring rates go hand in hand. If you change one without changing the other, you will get a shit ride.

It's better to get the shocks that are manufactured with coilover threads on them already. There are multiple benefits to this. Ease of installation, safety, quality, and adjustability.

If you are dropping your car, you want the spring rate to be a little bit stiffer, because now you will have less travel on the springs and shocks. If you kept the same spring rate, you would constantly be bouncing up and down and bottoming out. A stiffer spring rate will make for a harsher ride. Strong helper springs, and lower tire pressures can make life bearable on bumpy roads.

tckm 03-30-2010 12:35 AM

id go with springs&struts
i know they arent adjustable, but neither are sleeves after about 1 year or 2
they seize up and are a bitc h to adjust

get koni yellow shocks
they rebound rate is adjustable i think

IMiR 04-27-2010 07:18 PM

I'd definitely go with the springs...if money is an object, it's not worth getting low-grade coil-overs, they're simply annoying as hell to adjust and in the long run, are totally unreliable and likely to freeze up on ya.

Mugen EvOlutioN 04-28-2010 10:22 AM

do u have $1500?

if so coilover

do you only have $300 dollars to blow?
than springs

if u can allow $1000 on suspension

than springs and struts

done

pinoy.solsi 04-28-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6928814)
do u have $1500?

if so coilover

do you only have $300 dollars to blow?
than springs

if u can allow $1000 on suspension

than springs and struts

done

i dont think he is looking for a full coilovers..

i got coil sleeves with new shocks. ride isnt bad cost me 500$

FN-2199 04-28-2010 12:09 PM

My shock & spring combo ran me about $540 altogether- Koni Yellows w/ H&R race springs. Don't go coilover sleeves. They ride like absolute shiii compared to coilovers or any logical strut/spring combo.

Mugen EvOlutioN 04-29-2010 12:09 PM

just buy whatever you can afford, simple as that

if you only have $3 bills? well stop looking because u aint getting any. Springs will be your only choice.

!Aznboi128 04-29-2010 12:14 PM

i went from tokico and eibach ride was pretty good, now I'm on tein ss on the lowest settings and it still feels great :D