REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Travel Destinations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607974-travel-destinations.html)

choda 03-07-2010 02:51 PM

Travel Destinations

So I'm looking to send my parents on a vacation which they really deserve. I'm thinking of sending them out later in March to early April. This trip is mainly for my mom who is in her mid 50's and still working (my dad is retired so he doesn't need it as much! =P) so I'm looking for somewhere good that would cater to people of that age.

I'm a student, so I don't have much money to send them somewhere far and expensive, but I want to send them somewhere where they can relax. I was thinking maybe a cruise or somewhere in souther US or the Carribean? Anyone have experience and where would you guys suggest?? I've been looking but am getting frustrated not knowing where the best place would be! Any suggestions would be great!

raygunpk 03-07-2010 03:00 PM

A cruise is a perfect idea. I've been on a couple and there are a lot of people around your mother's age, and they're always having a good time.

non serious answer: dad to thailand. send mom to 89blkcivic's house.

ToyotaPowah 03-07-2010 03:04 PM

While this is a very nice gesture, make sure that your mother can get time off of work before booking anything. If you're thinking a trip in a couple of weeks, she may not be able to.

Do you think they'd like an Alaskan cruise? They leave from Vancouver so you'd save money on the airfare. Also, there are usually a bunch of good deals on all-inclusive resorts & airfare in Mexico. If they like to gamble/party you might want to consider a trip to Vegas. Almost any time of the year you can find wicked deals on airfare/hotel packages in Vegas.

Fafine 03-07-2010 03:06 PM

do they still have those vegas deals like 2 days for 99bucks?

murd0c 03-07-2010 03:07 PM

with the Canadian dollar being so high right now I think a good place would be Hawaii. With the cheap flights it would be a perfect mini getaway.

SMDBICH 03-07-2010 03:24 PM

Send them back to their home country to visit relatives

punkwax 03-07-2010 03:33 PM

www.travelbestbets.com

MG1 03-07-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunpk (Post 6848047)
send mom to 89blkcivic's house.

As long as she likes being tied up and shit.......... no problems.:D

Japan, perhaps? Aging population. They'll fit right in. Onsen (hot springs), ftw!

StylinRed 03-07-2010 04:58 PM

really depends on your budget

im sure in the end anywhere would make them happy

if they're originally from another country, sending them back there would be great like SMDBICH suggested

Paris... every lady wants to go to Paris; but its about $3k (taxes included, taxes are like 1500) for 2 people to go for a week (flight + hotel)

godwin 03-07-2010 05:14 PM

If you want great deal.. get those repositioning cruises.. eg when the cruise ships move from winter -> summer runs.. should be in the 300 range for the Mexico to YVR ones.

you! 03-07-2010 06:15 PM

we need more info on ur budget, etc etc

choda 03-07-2010 06:52 PM

Thanks for all the input so far guys! I'm looking to spend around 1,000-2,000 on the trip, I really don't think I can send them back to Iran for a week seeing as how it would take them a day to get there =P. I've looked at some deals to Anaheim and Arizona but what the heck is there for them to do there? Maybe I should look into Florida? Is it hurricane season?

Edit: 1k-2k for both including tax preferred! What? It's hard on a student budget!

Meowjin 03-07-2010 07:11 PM

vegas. if not carribean.

Manic! 03-07-2010 07:15 PM

Alaska cruise. My parents went and loved it.

JSALES 03-07-2010 07:44 PM

send them on a cruise to mexico, my parents just arrived home yesterday and they enjoyed it

Greenstoner 03-08-2010 02:01 AM

go to banff and enjoy the nice air there... its very relaxing .

sometimes you dont need to go too far... there are places you can always go locally

even a bed and breakfast on sunshine coast would be a nice little get away

syee 03-08-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choda (Post 6848407)
Thanks for all the input so far guys! I'm looking to spend around 1,000-2,000 on the trip, I really don't think I can send them back to Iran for a week seeing as how it would take them a day to get there =P. I've looked at some deals to Anaheim and Arizona but what the heck is there for them to do there? Maybe I should look into Florida? Is it hurricane season?

Edit: 1k-2k for both including tax preferred! What? It's hard on a student budget!

Hurricane season is in the summer in Florida. I just came back from a cruise to the Bahamas back in December and that was fairly cheap. (it's under $200 per person for a 3 day cruise to Nassau) Before you do book a cruise, make sure they don't get seasick easily. It'll be miserable for them if they're constantly feeling nauseous.

Anaheim/LA has lots to see, but of course it's all $$$.

Honestly you'll have to figure out what your parents are like. If they're frugal like my parents and don't like to spend money on stuff, then I'd put them on a cruise. That way everything is paid for and they don't have to put in any more money (except for the tips). If they don't mind spending some money, then Anaheim and LA has tons of things to see (Disney, Universal are the two main ones. I'd also highly recommend the WB studio tour as well) but of course, they'll cost a few $$$. You could also add in a cheap cruise to Mexico from LA too if you want them to experience a bit of both. They have Mexico cruises for pretty cheap from LA or San Diego.