REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Interesting reading. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/608174-interesting-reading.html)

zulutango 03-09-2010 08:08 AM

Interesting reading.

Special note here on 2 items...the fraudulent listing ofthe real owners....and the operation contrary to restrictions. Both subjects have been discussed here in the past. Some posters disagreed with what was offered from our perspective and experience.

Lessons learned from ICBC's 2009 fraud files
The high cost of lying is the lesson for March's Fraud Prevention Month

VANCOUVER, March 9 /CNW/ - A driver crashes his car then claims it was stolen; an owner sets his car on fire then gets a bill from the Fire Department; and drivers, old and new, pay the price for not telling the truth. The high cost of lying is the lesson learned from these stories from ICBC's 2009 fraud files, which are released to coincide with March's Canadian Fraud Prevention Month.

"It was stolen before the crash"

One owner called police to report a stolen car - two hours after it was
involved in a crash. He told police it had been stolen two days earlier
but he just now noticed it was missing. His story fell apart when ICBC's
Special Investigation Unit (SIU) was able to confirm that he called a
taxi minutes after the crash from a nearby location. He ended up pleading
guilty to driving while disqualified, hit and run, public mischief and
fraud and was ordered to pay almost $50,000 for the cost of damages.

Another driver totalled his boss's truck then lied to police about it
being stolen. End result: he was fined $4,000 because, as the judge said:
"When someone abuses the insurance system, they are effectively
defrauding their fellow citizens."

"It was stolen before the fire"

Two hours after his car was destroyed by fire, the owner called police to
report it stolen. Evidence presented in court led to a confession that he
had set fire to the car himself to collect the insurance. He was
sentenced to 12 months probation, 100 hours of community service and was
ordered to pay the Fire Department almost $1,000 to cover part of the
cost of putting out the fire.

"Yes, I'm the principal operator"

A recent crash teaches us all a lesson about the importance of correctly
answering the annual insurance renewal question: "Are you the principal
operator?" Falsely declaring someone else as the principal operator saved
one owner a few hundred dollars in premiums on a brand new vehicle, but
it was totalled in a crash and now the owner is out of pocket about
$50,000. Please check your policy to ensure you don't make the same
costly mistake.

"A learner learns the hard way"

A young driver learned an expensive lesson about the perils of ignoring
the requirements of the Graduated Licensing Program and then lying about
it. Driving without an experienced driver over 25 in the car is not
allowed for "Learners", but that was the case when the young driver
crashed her father's car. To make matters worse, she lied about being
alone. Witnesses told a different story which, resulted in a court-
ordered payment of $26,000.

Insurance fraud is not a victimless crime; it costs each of ICBC's 3.1 million customers about $100 to $150 per year - that's why ICBC invests upwards of $8 million in fraud prevention each year.

ICBC investigated more than 2,800 cases of alleged fraud in 2009. ICBC takes all allegations seriously and follows up on all tips and information. The public can help by reporting suspicious, exaggerated or fraudulent claims to ICBC's fraud tips line at 604-661-6844 or 1-800-661-6844, toll free from anywhere in the province. Tip information is confidential and callers can remain anonymous.

Gnomes 03-09-2010 03:19 PM

I have always wondered about lying about principle driver. How can ICBC prove that I drive my car less than 50% of the time?

zulutango 03-09-2010 03:39 PM

Quite easy to prove...talk to neighbours, fellow workers, sit back and videotape the vehicle use, run checks on driving infractions etc. I have turned in quite a few that I encountered. I see the car all the time, its slammed and had an earbleed sound system in it and is registered in mummy's name. If I can do that, ICBC and a PI with a camera can do even better. It's considered to be fraud under the criminal code and they also go after the real owner in Civil court..huge fines upon conviction...tens of thousands of dollars.

Greenstoner 03-09-2010 11:20 PM

Nice and interesting read indeed
Posted via RS Mobile

Dragon-88 03-10-2010 10:13 AM

Nice read.. Need more Fail stories.

c32 03-10-2010 10:34 AM

cool now i should realy think twice befor driving my car into the ocean.

seekerbeta 03-10-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6851401)
Quite easy to prove...talk to neighbours, fellow workers, sit back and videotape the vehicle use, run checks on driving infractions etc. I have turned in quite a few that I encountered. I see the car all the time, its slammed and had an earbleed sound system in it and is registered in mummy's name. If I can do that, ICBC and a PI with a camera can do even better. It's considered to be fraud under the criminal code and they also go after the real owner in Civil court..huge fines upon conviction...tens of thousands of dollars.

that takes me back to that Top Gear Episode.

zulutango 03-10-2010 01:58 PM

The one where they were firing the cars off the edge of the cliff trying to hit the house trailer? One of my favourites.

netfreak 03-12-2010 11:33 AM

It kills me how stupid the people are who try to get away with fraud. My dad works for ICBC and used to work with the PIs and attend court. If you claim to hurt your neck in a car accident, you better not be playing football the next day. They will be watching you. They have also used people's facebook status/comments against them.

sulos 03-12-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6853230)
The one where they were firing the cars off the edge of the cliff trying to hit the house trailer? One of my favourites.

there was an ep about the best car for a 17 year old. youtube it, it is pretty funny.

I have told this to people but it would be nice to be sure. If you are lying about something on your insurance papers, lets say the principle driver and the car is in an accident your insurance is void right?