REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   How much more authority do US border police have? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/608452-how-much-more-authority-do-us-border-police-have.html)

mistergaze 03-11-2010 03:02 PM

How much more authority do US border police have?

I was reading the thread on being to ward off a search on your car by telling them they are denied your conscent and i was wondering about the authority border cops have.

Mr.Jay 03-11-2010 03:40 PM

I try not to fuck with boarder cops since they are dealing with national security pretty much.

I'm pretty sure they can almost do anything they want

bikerman 03-11-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistergaze (Post 6855127)
I was reading the thread on being to ward off a search on your car by telling them they are denied your conscent and i was wondering about the authority border cops have. I know once they pull you in they can search your car but are they allowed to pat you down, make you lift up your garments to show any possible concealed weapons, ruffle through your jacket and your wallet, confiscate your cell and probably sift through all your text/photos behind your back?

If your talking about when your crossing the border then i think, by choosing to cross you are consenting to the full meal deal. basically signing your regular rights away.. but i also think CBP and pull over people within a certian distance of the border too for inspection.. Im not too sure about that one though.

Blinky 03-11-2010 04:02 PM

I'm pretty sure that if they "ask" to search your car, and you refuse, they can/will deny you entry into the United States.

bikerman 03-11-2010 04:40 PM

that too. ^ Like i said if you want into the us you gotta comply.

geeknerd 03-12-2010 02:38 AM

on a side note
out of the 4? times i got searched while entering US
never did they search my body/clothes pockets. even when i was wearing a fat jacket.

underscore 03-15-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6855212)
I'm pretty sure that if they "ask" to search your car, and you refuse, they can/will deny you entry into the United States.

same deal as flying. you don't have to go through the metal detectors or let them xray your bags, if you choose not to fly.

hchang 03-15-2010 10:33 PM

At the border crossing it says something along the lines that everyone entering the US must consent to a search of anything the Border Guard asks. So yeah you're signing away your rights by going through the border.

I don't think you even have a say to not consent them searching your car.

CRS 03-15-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6861814)
At the border crossing it says something along the lines that everyone entering the US must consent to a search of anything the Border Guard asks. So yeah you're signing away your rights by going through the border.

I don't think you even have a say to not consent them searching your car.

Sure you can, just like how they can say enjoy that 180 turn you're about to do to back to Canada.

It is a two way street. You either play the game by the rules or avoid the game all together and will not need to abide by the rules. Simple concept.

MarkyMark 03-16-2010 07:08 AM

So you can go to the border with a shitload of drugs and if they ask to search your car you can just say "oh nevermind just let me turn around back to Canada" ? Seems unlikely or everyone would do this.
Posted via RS Mobile

bikerman 03-16-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6861835)
Sure you can, just like how they can say enjoy that 180 turn you're about to do to back to Canada.

It is a two way street. You either play the game by the rules or avoid the game all together and will not need to abide by the rules. Simple concept.

When you are being inspected, you are already in the us, i think its a little late to even do turn around, your committed once your at that post. If they ask to search and you dont consent, id love to see how smooth that goes over. The time to reconsider was at that last exit in whiterock.

zulutango 03-16-2010 01:44 PM

If they turn you back I would expect that they would first call Canada Customs & let them know you are coming...and expect to be checked by them.

MarkyMark 03-16-2010 01:57 PM

Still, I'd rather be searched by Canada customs if I have a kilo of coke in my trunk rather than US customs... They take drugs a little more serious over there
Posted via RS Mobile

xilley 03-16-2010 02:52 PM

^LOL

CRS 03-16-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 6862616)
Still, I'd rather be searched by Canada customs if I have a kilo of coke in my trunk rather than US customs... They take drugs a little more serious over there
Posted via RS Mobile

Let's be honest here, if you were carrying a kilo of coke and you were caught. The police/law/customs are the LAST of your worries.

It wouldn't matter which side you are caught on.

hchang 03-16-2010 10:45 PM

^
No, I'd be hauling my ass back to Canada cause all I'd get would be a slap on the wrist.

MarkyMark 03-17-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6863525)
Let's be honest here, if you were carrying a kilo of coke and you were caught. The police/law/customs are the LAST of your worries.

It wouldn't matter which side you are caught on.

I'm looking at way less jail time in Canada
Posted via RS Mobile

CRS 03-17-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6863573)
^
No, I'd be hauling my ass back to Canada cause all I'd get would be a slap on the wrist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 6864154)
I'm looking at way less jail time in Canada
Posted via RS Mobile

You two clearly missed the point.

MarkyMark 03-17-2010 06:36 PM

Well has anyone actually cleared this up? Can or can't the US border patrol force you to let them search your car? Or can you actually say no and they turn you away back to Canada
Posted via RS Mobile

no_clue 03-17-2010 07:11 PM

Anyone here who thinks about being defiant towards border guards are morons. if you refuse a search at the border, clearly you are hiding something.

US customs aren't RCMP/VPD, they can ruin your life so fast. The kindest thing they will do is put you on the "list" and send you back to Canada. The worst thing they can do is detain you and dismantle your car to find out why you won't let them search it. Keep in mind you are already on US soil, and I don't think their first amendment stuff applies to Canadians. We are classified as "aliens"

slammer111 03-18-2010 03:52 AM

You'll notice that at all border crossings, you always physically cross the border first before reaching the Customs booth. They are basically searching you on home soil.

With that said, I'm way more afraid of US customs agents than Canadian ones. Ours don't have guns. :lol

tool001 03-18-2010 08:34 AM

u cant turn back, if that was the case all the people getting caught with drugs/guns and shit would just turn back when the boarder gards tell them that they will be searched..

riccof 03-18-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 6865625)
With that said, I'm way more afraid of US customs agents than Canadian ones. Ours don't have guns. :lol

CBSA Agents are now armed with Beretta PX4 Storms.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-ag.../menu-eng.html