REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Can I be at fault if I was rear-ended? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/608556-can-i-fault-if-i-rear-ended.html)

Jeremy617 03-12-2010 12:42 PM

Can I be at fault if I was rear-ended?

I was just rear-ended on knight street bridge going southbound this morning. Somebody hit their brakes quite hard in front of me as they were coming in my lane from the marine drive on-ramp. I had to brake quite hard, but no so hard my ABS kicked in, and was able to come to almost a full stop. Just in time for the mustang behind me to slam into me.

I've had my N for 4 days so I'm worried somehow ICBC is going to find a way to assign me some fault and take away my license... I wasn't speeding, but I probably could have braked sooner/smoother as traffic was slowing up ahead, but I didn't really feel at any time i was so close that i wouldn't be able to stop in time, and that was the case, as I was able to.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but i figured the local police would know if i'm in danger of being partially at fault.

SumAznGuy 03-12-2010 01:00 PM

In this case, the person behind was following to close and didn't have enough time/room to stop which should make it 100% their fault.

Inaii 03-12-2010 01:02 PM

I think the only way you can be assigned fault is if they prove you braked for no reason, or you changed lanes in front of the person, causing them to hit you.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken please :)

jlenko 03-12-2010 01:07 PM

You can get nailed for partial fault if you hit the person in front of you... moreso if you hit them two times, as in a recent post on here..

underscore 03-12-2010 04:01 PM

unless you cut him off, you were driving perfectly fine. the fact that you didn't hit the car in front of you, even after being rearended, to me means that you should be just fine.

zulutango 03-12-2010 04:10 PM

Assuming your brake lights were functioning and based on what you posted, I can't see how you would be at fault. Lesson you learned is that you were almost following too close yourself but your ABS saved you this time. Note to self...drive so that I can stop in the clear distance ahead...at least 2 second gap to allow for my reaction time alone.

underscore 03-12-2010 04:14 PM

^ he said the ABS didn't kick in.

zulutango 03-12-2010 08:08 PM

Me bad...I read "no so bad"...as just that instead of "NOT so bad". Please accept my apology for that but the rest about being lucky this time still holds. Glad you were able to be not responsible for the crash.

anti-vip 03-14-2010 06:28 AM

abs kicked in yo!.....the mustang is at-fault..

TOS'd 03-14-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g_i_g_g_i_t_y (Post 6859281)
abs kicked in yo!.....the mustang is at-fault..

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6856988)
^ he said the ABS didn't kick in.

Seems to be the mustang is 100% at fault, unless you some how missing some details.

SomeOtherAsian 03-14-2010 11:59 AM

I cant see anyway its your fault.
This happened to me before. The other person was at fault.

hchang 03-14-2010 08:12 PM

99.9999% of rear ending accidents is the one who rear ended the person in front's fault.

I don't think ICBC takes into consideration how long you've had your license for, but correct me if I'm wrong.

But if you're found partially at fault, be sure that its under 25% at fault, or else your insurance would go up as well.

But I'm pretty sure you're safe.
Good luck!