REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   edelbrock turbo kits for civics (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609024-edelbrock-turbo-kits-civics.html)

toehead 03-16-2010 08:40 PM

edelbrock turbo kits for civics

i've got a d16y8 engine in my 99 civic and rather than doing a swap i was thinking of boosting the stock motor cause i've heard it can be a fun setup and d series motors are cheap to work on. i've looked into an edelbrock kit that i've heard some good things about and was hoping for some input from some of you guys

godwin 03-17-2010 12:27 AM

Kits are convenient, you don't have to think too much and you save on shop cost.

Good option if you don't know anything and just taking it to a shop to get done.

Phil@rise 03-17-2010 10:11 AM

I highly doubt a company as reputable as Edelbrock would sell a bunk kit but keep in mind it will be a smog legal kit so it will have some limitations with performance past posted claims.

toehead 03-19-2010 09:45 AM

ya i've heard that they are wastegated to 7 or 8 psi when you get them. I plan on doing all the work myself but this is the first car i've modded and i'm trying to avoid too many major screw ups. would it be cheaper for me to build my own setup. i'm not looking for super amounts of power out of this car, just a little more kick in the pants.
this is what the kit comes with

PERFORMER X STREET LEGAL TURBO KITS INCLUDE:

Garrett ball bearing Turbo preassembled with exhaust manifold and elbow, including coolant and oil lines.

A new intake manifold preassembled with secondary fuel rail and four additional injectors

Preassembled Russell fuel and oil lines with adapters

Large bar and plate style intercooler with TIG welded cast aluminum end tanks.

Edelbrock boost gauge by Auto Meter with A-pillar mount pod

Ceramic coated Turbo piping and high flow air filter

O-ring sealed compressor inlet/outlet pipe flanges

All gaskets, adapters and instructions

TiAL blow-off valve

it says at the bottom of the page that civics need a map sensor voltage clamp but thats the nly thing missing. i'm guessing the prices are in US dollars but procivic.com wants $3464.95. there are cheaper kits there but they don't come with nearly as much stuff

Phil@rise 03-19-2010 11:41 AM

A boost controller will allow for more boost

Muskys SS 03-22-2010 09:57 PM

Looks like a decent starter kit. I'm interested to see how well the MotoTron ECU Controls the fuel enrichment.

Super Dipper 03-26-2010 03:14 PM

we installed one of those kits on a 99 si about 4 years ago with the piggy back fuel management it comes with.

The car has been beaten up and been through 4 owners since that time and its still running strong. The kit is nice bc it includes everything needed in an install and it is literally a bolt in affair. Also got to maintain the ac and power steering, so that was a bonus.