REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Brake Screeching (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609081-brake-screeching.html)

gearshifter 03-17-2010 11:46 AM

Brake Screeching

I have some disk brakes on my car, but I don't know why they screech when I brake... Maintenance was done not long ago...

Can anyone point to some tips?

Thanks!

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-17-2010 11:54 AM

sometimes brake pads make noise

hawk HPS makes noise after they are down to 50%

TOPEC 03-17-2010 11:57 AM

what pads what rotors what car?
its possible a piece of rock is stuck between the pad and rotors causing the noise.

Phil@rise 03-17-2010 12:00 PM

Cheap or worn pads its also possible that the pads weren't properly dressed/seated before installation.
I got my favorite can on Wurth stop squeal that I use on cheapo pads when customers wont opt for the good ones. Keeps the cheapos from coming back to bitch after a couple of weeks thinking its my fault they are cheap.

1990TSI 03-17-2010 12:01 PM

what maintenence was done?

changing an upper control arm won't help your brakes from being quiet.

if you mean you had your brakes serviced recently, what was done? just pads? pads and rotors? front and back?

we need to know waaaaay more than what you've given us.

some things to consider...
if you just changed pads and didn't replace or machine the rotors, they will most likely make noise.
If you just replaced the front brakes, the rears can still make noise if they are low.
If you didn't install them right, they can make noise.
I assume you did them yourself, as if you had a shop do them, you're retarded for posting here, just go back to the fucking shop.

also, my computer is running slow, can you point me to some tips?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6864269)
sometimes break pads make noise

hawk HPS makes noise after they are down to 50%

Honda retard, BRAKE PADS. and hawk BRAKE pads can make noise at any time not just after 50%

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-17-2010 12:07 PM

ok.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im speaking personal experience regarding Hawk ones, ran two sets before and they did not make any sort of noise for the first couple thousand kms. It occours when they are down to 50-60% than they start screeching really bad.

TOPEC 03-17-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6864298)
ok.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

im speaking personal experience regarding Hawk ones, ran two sets before and they did not make any sort of noise for the first couple thousand kms. It occours when they are down to 50-60% than they start screeching really bad.

u know brake pads have clips that scratch the rotors to tell u they're worn right? thats y u hear the noise when it's "worn" down

and he's making fun of u if u didnt catch it....

godwin 03-17-2010 01:20 PM

Another possibility (if the recent maintenance is indeed brake service) is the OP didn't bed in the pads properly and now running on glazed pads.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-17-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6864382)
u know brake pads have clips that scratch the rotors to tell u they're worn right? thats y u hear the noise when it's "worn" down

and he's making fun of u if u didnt catch it....

thank you

yes im well aware of that (brake pads clips), apparently both times when they make noise it was taken apart completely, inspected...still lots meat left

:(

skyxx 03-17-2010 02:33 PM

Brake squeal is the most common "issue, complaint" of any driver/customer. It can be dust build up on the anchors or wherever the caliper makes a contact. The material of the pads can also be part of the noise. It doesn't matter what brand of brake pads they are as well. Rotor scores/grooves and dust build up on them can also make your brake squeal.

You can try and "solve" the noise by adding "copaslip" to the backside of the pads and parts of the anchor that the caliper rides on. Or "Disc Brake Quiet" to the back of the pads and "antiseaze" to the anchors. Also, check if your car has spring clips or not. If you're missing the "clips", they may be the culprit. Oh and one more thing. Always remember to lubricate your caliper pins.
(I just realized I made a mouthful of tips that you made not understand. :lol)

example
http://www.portcharlottevillas.com/b...springclip.jpg

GabAlmighty 03-17-2010 07:40 PM

If they're still working stop complaining.

hchang 03-17-2010 08:05 PM

I highly doubt that this is your problem, but when I forgot to let go of my handbrakes once or twice, the brakes would screech. But this would be an obvious problem, which you should've noticed right away, so most likely isn't your problem.

Maybe the handbrake isn't all the way down?

Just a thought...

skyxx 03-17-2010 08:06 PM

You brake warning light would be on if you didn't let it go all the way down.