REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   An Education (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609319-education.html)

6793026 03-19-2010 07:05 PM

An Education

I did a search and nothing came up so here goes.

Yes, this was a film people don't usually go to the theaters for but since it got nominated, i had to go and see it.

Movie is actually based on an memoir of Lynn Barber about her being a British chick that got hit on by an older man while waiting for the bus to go home back in 1960s. Carey Mulligan played the role of Lynn (who got nominated for best actress), she did pull off a really cute Audrey Hepburn look.

Long story short, girl gets hit on by an older man who showed the world to this girl. He took her to eat, drink, dance and traveled Europe and finally purposed to her.

It was such a great movie, the acting was decent, wasn't Meryl Streep in Doubt or Mo`nique from Precious but she was on par with Sandra Bullock I would say in Blind Side. The script was great I thought, the ending and the setting (1960s) theme tied it into together.

Not for those who's looking for action. This is the second British Film I saw which i enjoyed, "Happy go lucky" was also great last year. Same type of film so if you're not into boring movies, you might want to skip this.

Acting 8/10
Script 8/10
overall 8/10

Ronin 03-19-2010 08:03 PM

Loved this movie. I saw it just before the nominations were released since I saw the trailer and heard the buzz about it.

I thought they tried a little too hard to make Carey Mulligan look like Audrey Hepburn in here but I guess that was the style of all the socialite women at the time since it's set in 1961 and that's the year Breakfast at Tiffany's was released. She wasn't on my radar before but after this movie, I have to say she is possibly the best actress in that early to mid-20's age range. That and she's SMOKIN'. Anyone else think she was just insanely gorgeous at the Oscars?

The only reason her performance here isn't more talked about is because Jenny is a regular girl and it doesn't seem like a huge stretch for Mulligan to play her whereas, for example, Mo'nique went through a complete transformation from stand-up comedian to her role in Precious. It's just like Peter Sargaard. It's only because you imagine that's the kind of dude he really is...and especially since this is like the second or third movie where he's that sort of rakish English pimp.

Fantastic script. The story is about a lot more than what you see on the surface...a lot about growing up, a lot about why we bother with school and such. It's only a boring movie if you can't watch a movie that doesn't have explosions. This is about characters and a strong story so if you thought Transformers 2 was a good movie, then yes...skip this.

For me, this was only behind Up in the Air, The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds on last year's best pictures. 8.5/10