REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Getting a demo vehicle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609412-getting-demo-vehicle.html)

Selanne_200 03-20-2010 05:30 PM

Getting a demo vehicle

Hey guys, I've never gotten a demo vehicle before so i can use a few pointers. First off, how much would you expect to get from buyin a demo vehicle? The one particular model I'm looking at is a 2009 model and only has 4700 km on it and in mint condition. Plus do you have to pay freight and pdi on the car as well?

Derek128 03-20-2010 06:27 PM

what car is it?

usually when ppl test drive a demo.......... they beat the shit out of it

Phatmobile 03-20-2010 07:13 PM

demo = used car + engine not break-in properly

how much is the particular one you looking for can save you?
demo still sell as "new" so I'm sure dealership will charge you freight and pdi as well; I could be wrong thou.

hirevtuner 03-20-2010 07:15 PM

i think demo could be less a pst or something

well look on the bright side, a demo car = you are not buying a lemon cuz every function works with new car warranty

Selanne_200 03-20-2010 11:42 PM

This is for a 2009 Toyota Highlander. It was a manager demo and not a public driven demo. I did the numbers and it'll save me about 6k overall incl. taxes and all.

bcedhk 03-21-2010 12:32 AM

Bahaha so you think managers would baby the car when they drove it? i've seen BJ managers driving their demo's and reving the shit out of it.

I would get a demo if it was a big discount on a leasing deal...

HondaGuy 03-21-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne_200 (Post 6869943)
This is for a 2009 Toyota Highlander. It was a manager demo and not a public driven demo. I did the numbers and it'll save me about 6k overall incl. taxes and all.

Suggestions:
1.) Since its a demo car (manager car), and been driven by someone else it would be good to see if they can offer you few free maintenance services along the way. I remember my toyota suv's first visit wasnt expensive so ask for first 3-4 visits free. ;)

2.) If free services dont work, ask for Toyota OEM accessories. Since its a Highlander ask for stepbars, bullbar, more mats :D, optional audio equipment if available.
OR
Ask for a case of motor oil, tranny oil, etc. if available.

3.) If all else fails, ask for more money back.

Good luck with the highlander, wanted one too...but couldnt afford it.

alphabet 03-21-2010 09:51 AM

Definitely try to squeeze more out of them.. They can give it :D

benwang 03-21-2010 10:20 AM

usually it is customers test drive the demo cars and telling you its the managers car. the salesman can just lie to you its managers car so it may let you feel more comfortable to buy the car.

no_clue 03-21-2010 10:39 AM

customers test driving the car don't abuse the car as much as lot boys.

Isn't Toyota offering big incentives because of the accelerator incident?

thumper 03-21-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_clue (Post 6870266)
customers test driving the car don't abuse the car as much as lot boys.

Isn't Toyota offering big incentives because of the accelerator incident?

i've said this story before, but i would be more worried about the people who offload cars from the transport ships at the dockyards... i had a classmate who told me a story of how he learned to drive standard doing that job :o

Selanne_200 03-21-2010 12:16 PM

Yea I'm gonna see if they can throw in the accessories for free on top of the discount. I'm not sure if the manager drives the shit outta it but at least it's a white middle-aged woman if they're not lying to me. The mileage on it is also very low <5000 so makes me believe em that it wasn't a cust demo car
Posted via RS Mobile

Selanne_200 03-21-2010 05:37 PM

So I closed the deal today after a third visit. I managed to save 6300ish as a trade in value for the discount so I save on the taxes too. Plus the factory warranty starts on the day that I take delivery of the vehicle. They wouldn't budge too much on top of that other than they waived the premium for the paint and paid for half a stepbar
Posted via RS Mobile

Hehe 03-21-2010 07:41 PM

If you are leasing, yes, if you are buying, no

hchang 03-21-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne_200 (Post 6870682)
So I closed the deal today after a third visit. I managed to save 6300ish as a trade in value for the discount so I save on the taxes too. Plus the factory warranty starts on the day that I take delivery of the vehicle. They wouldn't budge too much on top of that other than they waived the premium for the paint and paid for half a stepbar
Posted via RS Mobile

That wasn't such a bad deal.

I think that you could've pushed for more if you kept on going.

Anywho, congratulations on the new car! Hope you enjoy it!

Teriyaki 03-21-2010 07:48 PM

Guess Toyota dealers are still sitting high and pretty at the moment.

Hope it was a lease, demo cars are beaten to death

Selanne_200 03-21-2010 11:41 PM

Yea I prob could've bargained for a bit more but I was pretty sick and tired of bargaining at that point. Thank you for everyone that chipped in with their comments! I hope I won't regret this, especially since i'm gonna be coming from a 330i into the highlander