REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   suspention question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609853-suspention-question.html)

Pinoy_Crx 03-24-2010 03:40 PM

suspention question

hey guys just have a question about my suspention i have koni yellows with tein s tech i got them installed last september and my question is if i adjust the struts to be more stiff would the ride comfortability be more rought i just want it to handle well in corners but i dont want to change the settings if it will make the ride rought thanks in advance

Pinoy_Crx 03-26-2010 10:14 PM

Cmon guys noone knows
Posted via RS Mobile

Rich Sandor 03-29-2010 04:03 PM

Simple answer: If you increase the bump/rebound resistance, the shocks will be more resistant to moving when you hit a bump or pothole, and the vibrations will be passed along to the chassis. It will handle flatter through smooth fast corners, BUT it will handle worse over bumpy roads or bumpy corners.

In-depth answer: Suspension tuning can be very complicated. How you setup a car suspension will always be a compromise between:

Very soft, comfortable, absorbs bumps well on bumpy roads but doesn't handle well at higher speeds in smooth corners.

and

Very hard, firm, uncomfortable, skips around over bumpy roads, but handles like a race car on smooth roads.

On a scale of 1 to 10, (1 being softest, 10 being hardest) where do you think your car is now, and where do you want to be?

Pinoy_Crx 03-30-2010 09:01 AM

Well the Shop who installed it said they left it at middle And I want it to be good at cornering but I don't want to sacrifice too much of the smooth ride that ms again for your reply
Posted via RS Mobile

-EuroRSN- 03-30-2010 09:26 AM

something called trial and error!

Pinoy_Crx 03-31-2010 11:11 AM

????
Posted via RS Mobile

Rich Sandor 04-05-2010 07:17 PM

^ What he means is, you can adjust the suspension to be a bit firmer (to handle better) but if it's too firm, you can dial it back to be a bit more comfortable.

Trial and Error. Try one setting, and if it's not good, try another, until you're happy.

FN-2199 04-05-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -EuroRSN- (Post 6886157)
something called trial and error!

+1

Experiment! Yellows are fun to play around with. You can adjust it to how you like, whether you want tight+bumpy, loose+comfortable, or even a mix of both. Have fun and tweak it!:thumbsup:

Phil@rise 04-06-2010 10:31 AM

and the front doesn't need to be the same damping as the rear you can experiment with that as well.

SumAznGuy 04-06-2010 11:21 AM

left doesn't have to equal right side either.
Posted via RS Mobile

frojoe 04-07-2010 09:13 PM

There won't be any "out of the box" setup answer for you. Also, someone else's shock settings might not be ideal for yours. The ride height can be adjusted by the strut/knuckle lower sleeve or by adjusting the preload on the spring, but adjusting the preload should ONLY be done to corner-balance the car to get equal weight distribution. This preload can also affect the stiffness of each corner, so the damping setting adjustment won't be completely equal if your preloads aren't equal.

Since you have the adjustment, you should:

1) if you're going to get a corner balance, do it first to get the weight distribution equal
2) then adjust the ride height to get it where you want for looks, etc
3) adjust the damping on each individual shock to get everything balanced when driving

Trial and error is the only way!