REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Acura NSX, powered by a LS7 motor! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610033-acura-nsx-powered-ls7-motor.html)

TypeRNammer 03-26-2010 03:51 AM

Acura NSX, powered by a LS7 motor!

http://www.0-60mag.com/blog/alex-ber...ew-on-trees-2/

:eek:

Teh Doucher 03-26-2010 04:04 AM

very naice

Great68 03-26-2010 05:53 AM

http://www.0-60mag.com/wp-content/up...010/03/221.jpg
:agree:

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-26-2010 07:06 AM

sweet baby jesus

typ. 03-26-2010 08:00 AM

wow. bawler.

skillznrice 03-26-2010 08:17 AM

woah http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Y...1032210186.jpg

Mancini 03-26-2010 08:22 AM

Over the top. Love it!

originalhypa 03-26-2010 08:36 AM

Look at that fabrication!
Wow.

Having tasted the sweet flavour of a big US v8, I can appreciate what these guys are doing. The NSX engine compartment is too limiting for proper turbo cooling, and the small 6 cylinder can only make so much power in NA form. Enter the LS series, which doesn't weigh much more than a Honda v6 with quad cams.

This is the way Honda should have released the NSX during the final makeover. A true supercar killer.

shenmecar 03-26-2010 08:46 AM

put that thing in the hands of the stig and it can very easily beat the Gumpert.

Tegra_Devil 03-26-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 6880044)
Look at that fabrication!
Wow.

Having tasted the sweet flavour of a big US v8, I can appreciate what these guys are doing. The NSX engine compartment is too limiting for proper turbo cooling, and the small 6 cylinder can only make so much power in NA form. Enter the LS series, which doesn't weigh much more than a Honda v6 with quad cams.

This is the way Honda should have released the NSX during the final makeover. A true supercar killer.

i actually believe the LS7(with all required components i.e. tranny) is actually LIGHTER than the the nsx 3.2L

Quote:

It doesn’t hurt that the new LS7 and Porsche transmission weigh 35 lbs. less than the original engine and tranny.

originalhypa 03-26-2010 09:17 AM

That wouldn't surprise me that much.
The LS7 with it's forged and titanium bits and pieces is supposed to be under 500lbs fully dressed. The C30 is no slouch either, with all it's Ti bits. Google tells me it's around 425lbs for the engine alone, so we're really close in weight.

But power to weight?
The LS7 kills all, and I love it.
:D

edit: The LS7 wins in price too, with google telling me a complete c30a longblock from Honda is $23,000.
Wow!

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-26-2010 11:10 AM

gotta love googles' usefulness

1990TSI 03-26-2010 11:25 AM

timpo is rolling in his grave.

r.i.p. little guy

skyxx 03-26-2010 12:55 PM

Where did Timpo go?

godwin 03-26-2010 01:32 PM

The typical problem is LS7 can only fit longitudinally. The NSX took the earlier Ferrari mold opting for a latitudinal fit. If you don't mind butchering the layout and minor distribution it is fine.

Oh and G50 is ancient, it is used because it can be handled being flipped upside down. If "money is no object" was true, they could have use a Hewland or a Quaife.

Would be more impressive if they managed to fit the LS7 and a gearbox they way the chassis was designed to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 6880100)
That wouldn't surprise me that much.
The LS7 with it's forged and titanium bits and pieces is supposed to be under 500lbs fully dressed. The C30 is no slouch either, with all it's Ti bits. Google tells me it's around 425lbs for the engine alone, so we're really close in weight.

But power to weight?
The LS7 kills all, and I love it.
:D

edit: The LS7 wins in price too, with google telling me a complete c30a longblock from Honda is $23,000.
Wow!

originalhypa 03-26-2010 01:55 PM

haha, good call godwin.
This setup is reminiscant of the old days of MR setups with v8's, like the venerable Pantera.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-19...eveland-st.jpg

Such an amazing car to drive, but so tough to work on. Cooling was such a challenge in that car.

Interesting comment about the G50 though. I always thought that the options were really limited with a transaxle that can hold the power. But like you said, if money was no object they may have used something different. I wonder if it's been strengthened in any way?

edit: I reread the article and it mentions this.
Quote:

The ethanol-drinking block is mated to a Porsche G50-50 5-speed box, custom built by California Motorsports and geared for road racing — this is considered Porsches strongest transmission… ever. Obviously, no cost has been spared thus far, so why not blow $8,000 on a Tilton triple disc carbon-carbon clutch with a 9 lb. flywheel? Pocket change.
So chances are, this is a very strong setup. Amazing that they're tuning for e85 too, although not surprising as it's the witches brew nowadays for big power builds.

LOL, I had to subscribe to that mag too. It's such a wicked read, and a great mix of new, and custom rides.

godwin 03-26-2010 03:38 PM

If money is truly no object I would go for the "McLaren F1" replica called 6012 by Xtrac but it is close to 100kUSD (well 50k pounds but what's the few thousand between friends).. without accessories (another 20k worth). It will be able anything you add on the LS7.. quad turbo etc. It makes it a heck lot safer if you ever get rear ended.

Honestly I think the best match will be the one from the latest Ford GT is from Ricardo and that's about $6000USD .. I rather go with that one especially if you are mating it with an American block.. no to mention it is a lot newer/lighter too. G50 is 70s technology.. it is just like comparing the old NSX engine with the LS7.. all the tolerances and strength had been improved drastically.

Yes G50 can be strengthened, there is a huge kit car market for them.. typically around $4000 a pop.. but in the end it is still old.

This type of modification is quite common recently eg the new Hennessey Venom.

As for servicing.. I really dig the LeMans setup for rear engined cars.. ie the whole drive train is a cartridge that you can just unbolt and swap out.. one example is the Carrera GT. No need for Lambo's awkward fish, lift and shift the whole thing out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 6880464)
Interesting comment about the G50 though. I always thought that the options were really limited with a transaxle that can hold the power. But like you said, if money was no object they may have used something different. I wonder if it's been strengthened in any way?

hal0g0dv2 03-26-2010 03:54 PM

nice set up