REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   another speeding ticket question. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610266-another-speeding-ticket-question.html)

Ohkun 03-28-2010 09:39 PM

another speeding ticket question.

did quick search but did not find anything.

anyways, few weeks ago, I received ticket for going 20+ on 50 zone.

I know that officer's 'trained eyes' can tell if a car is traveling over 50km/h.

In court, what happen if officer can prove that I was doing 50+ but not 70+?

Would judge simply throw out speeding charge, or whould he just adjust ticket amount to lower one?

Ticket itself is actually for 20+ and I'm pretty sure that I wasn't doing 70+

sho_bc 03-28-2010 09:53 PM

I can do visual estimations 10km/hr +/- the actual speed being travelled, and spending a full day of doing nothing but speed enforcement, the margin of error comes down a significant amount as the day progresses. Your situation all depends on the evidence of the police officer involved. Many things could happen in the court room. If you're planning on disputing the offence (21+ km/hr over the posted speed limit), do so but be ready with a solid defence if the officer used a speed measuring device such as laser or radar.

Ohkun 03-28-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6883619)
I can do visual estimations 10km/hr +/- the actual speed being travelled, and spending a full day of doing nothing but speed enforcement, the margin of error comes down a significant amount as the day progresses. Your situation all depends on the evidence of the police officer involved. Many things could happen in the court room. If you're planning on disputing the offence (21+ km/hr over the posted speed limit), do so but be ready with a solid defence if the officer used a speed measuring device such as laser or radar.

thank you for your reply.

I'm pretty sure speed measuring device was not used.
(I should've asked but did not)

I was perpendicular to him when I traveled through intersection, and when he pulled me over 3~4 blocks away, I was traveling pretty close to 50 or below due to the traffic.

do you guys ever issue 20+ ticket when speed measuring device is not used?

ps. if office can't prove that I was doing 20+, does ticket gets thrown out?

sho_bc 03-28-2010 10:13 PM

If you plan on disputing, request disclosure. Then you will see what notes he has regarding the incident.

Yes, I've paced someone in order to obtain a known speed of travel. There have also been occasions when I have attempted to pace someone at a certain speed, but their vehicle was still putting distance between itself and mine, so I knew they were driving above that speed.

All of this information will be in the officer's notes.

seekerbeta 03-29-2010 08:42 AM

Call the officer and ask for disclosure of his notes from the offense, that's going to be the only way to tell for sure how he knew how fast you were going