REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   warning to modified cars (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610582-warning-modified-cars.html)

rental_metard 03-31-2010 01:09 AM

warning to modified cars

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up, the VPD are targeting any car with an exhaust. I was just pulled over for being too nosy apparently. I pulled up beside him at the intersection of Hillside/Cook and I was pulled over before we hit Hillside/Cedarhill rd, the car was still cold as I had just left the Hillside/Quadra area so I was taking it easy and I may have hit 2500rpm but that was enough to determine that my exhaust was illegal and needs inspection. Anyone that has been around my car knows its not loud especially compared to some of the cars that I've heard on the road and especially when the engine is cold and below 2500rpm. He mentioned there had been complaints recently of loud cars, thats a pretty general statement and almost like he was accusing my car of the one causing the complaints. I'm only in that area maybe once every two weeks, and I know the frequency of cops at the Hillside/Quadra area is high so I put put it around.

I'm so irked right now, what a fucking waste of my time. Go out and arrest crack heads / hookers / drug dealers instead of giving working people unneeded citations.

[/rant]

Super Dipper 03-31-2010 01:03 PM

ha, if your exhaust is loud, then what would mine be defined as? ugh. never ending.

oldsnail 03-31-2010 01:41 PM

i live by that area and have not been or seen cars pulled over for that reason.

i was pulled over in vancouver for being 'too low' with my old sw20.. had to get a stupid vehicle inspection done for it is not really a violation ticket.

Great68 04-01-2010 06:11 PM

Shitty deal.

I do hear a lot of loud cars blast up hillside from quadra to cook.. It's pretty discriminate of the cop to only pick on you, especially if you're driving normal.

cleanEK 04-01-2010 07:03 PM

And it begins.....:(

Azriel_Strife 04-02-2010 09:29 AM

I was issued a VI about 4 weeks ago for my FD in richmond. At the time I had a presilenced midpipe installed, which read 101db at idle. I have the stock cat, and a blitz catback on my car now. The exhaust reads 100db at idle, and the legal limit for a small car is 87db. 93db is for large trucks I believe, but some shops will let 93 slide.

Whats really rediculous is that I think the stock exhaust for an FD is over 87db. So there is no way to make them "legally" quiet. Pretty much any performance exhaust for any car is over 87db. Unless you presilence it and get a full baffled muffler, you're gonna keep getting pulled over.

The worst part about VI's is there is NO way to dispute them, and an officer can issue another one as you pull out of the shop when you pass. If you can convince the officer that he was wrong, he can decide to retract the notice and order, but that's your only option.

VI's are lame, and I truly believe the officer should have to PROVE there is something wrong with the car before being able to hand out a notice and order. I think it's criminal that they can just hand you a piece of paper that costs you $100 to get rid of with no proof other than the officers "judgement". lots of cops don't know the first thing about cars and how they work. For the honest hard working cops out there, I apologize. but I find too many cops are down on us performance car drivers, we are stereotyped for the cars we drive (young males driving sports cars). yes it's true most of the idiot drivers out there re in fact young males driving sports cars, but to assume we are all like that is retarded. I don't drive like an idiot, I don't go more than 10 over the limit when keeping up with traffic, i always signal, i don't rev the piss out of my car, there is no reason they should be picking on me other than i have a hot car and they immediately suspect i'm some street racer douchebag.

/rant

rental_metard 04-02-2010 11:06 AM

wow that sounds just like me. At least an FD is flashy so I can see why they singled you out. A vw hatch back is a grocery getter.

Regardless, is the exhaust only tested at idle and not at WOT? I would bet I would pass no problem if it was at idle.

Azriel_Strife 04-02-2010 11:14 AM

It's tested at idle and again at around 3000rpm in neutral. keep in mind your exhaust will be louder under load, this is why it may seem quiet to you when the car is parked.

Enraged 04-02-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azriel_Strife (Post 6891287)
Whats really rediculous is that I think the stock exhaust for an FD is over 87db. So there is no way to make them "legally" quiet. Pretty much any performance exhaust for any car is over 87db. Unless you presilence it and get a full baffled muffler, you're gonna keep getting pulled over.

add more mufflers/silencers, and then put in an electric exhaust cutout/dump off the downpipe. nice and quiet around town, stupid loud and lots of power at the track.

Azriel_Strife 04-02-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enraged (Post 6891405)
add more mufflers/silencers, and then put in an electric exhaust cutout/dump off the downpipe. nice and quiet around town, stupid loud and lots of power at the track.

the problem with that is you are not "legally" allowed to have a modified exhaust. Also, there is no room to fit a second muffler in the system of an FD without removing the cat.

Enraged 04-02-2010 12:09 PM

What about a silencer pipe (can't remember what the proper name is)? its a pipe the same diameter as your regular piping that is T'ed into the exhaust pipe, and is then capped. You have to tune the length of it. From what I remember about it, it tunes the exhausts resonant frequency, quieting the exhaust down.

looks like
______________> muffler
|_____(cap)

Azriel_Strife 04-02-2010 12:20 PM

I know what you mean, they use them in intake systems all the time. however getting one of these engineered would likely cost more than a full exhaust system. It has to be shaped in a certain way, and there is still no place to fit it in my car's case. It would also cause restriction in the exhaust flow path.

Enraged 04-02-2010 12:44 PM

look up varex mufflers

Great68 04-02-2010 03:39 PM

Quote:

Whats really rediculous is that I think the stock exhaust for an FD is over 87db. S

My MS3's stock exhaust is pretty loud, I'm pretty sure it's over 87dB...

Raid3n 04-02-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rental_metard (Post 6891392)
wow that sounds just like me. At least an FD is flashy so I can see why they singled you out. A vw hatch back is a grocery getter.

Regardless, is the exhaust only tested at idle and not at WOT? I would bet I would pass no problem if it was at idle.

lol, he actually means Burnaby not Richmond, it was at my house. the car wasn't driving when the VI was issued. the vi was issued based on a neighbor complaint

Revox 04-02-2010 06:42 PM

I recently got a magnaflow muffler installed on my car and it's quite loud and I've driven by numerous cops without getting pulled over. I also live around the hillside/cook area.

stevo911_ 04-02-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

I...which read 101db at idle

thats pretty ridiculously loud dude, thats what alot of racebikes are testing at under load

Mr.Jay 04-02-2010 08:19 PM

I can say from exp that his car is very loud

cops being able to give a VI based on someone else's jusgement is retarded

frojoe 04-07-2010 09:29 PM

This is unfortunate. I've never been pulled over in the Saanich area even tho my car came with an unfortunately loud and obvious fart can... guess I need to turbo it up to quiet it down!!

frojoe 04-07-2010 09:34 PM

... and I wonder if that purple Pantera that was once somewhere on the island ever gets pulled over?? :eek1:

Black SC2 04-19-2010 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frojoe (Post 6897412)
... and I wonder if that purple Pantera that was once somewhere on the island ever gets pulled over?? :eek1:

Still here. No it doesn't.

Victoria SiR 04-19-2010 09:47 PM

Course not, his wife is a Cop for fuck sakes.