REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   out of province visiter, have to remove tint? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610629-out-province-visiter-have-remove-tint.html)

Solo_D33A 03-31-2010 04:05 PM

out of province visitor, have to remove tint?

I just got pulled today, he say as long as I'm driving in BC, I can't have tint. :confused:
I'm from Manitoba, runs back and forth from BC and Mani about 3-4 time per year. Car's under Manitoba license, so is my Driver License. In Manitoba we're allowed to have 45 or 50% tint in the front sides.

He put a note on my file and let me go, but it got me wondering so you have to know all the laws and regulations of whichever province you drive in?:rolleyes:

As I travel to and from a lot sometimes by plane, sometimes by car, and I've got caught last time I'm in Richmond in January, and now again in March, but I haven't got caught in Winnipeg (you know, more nicer cops over there :thumbsup: ). Do I have to find proof of me haven't stayed for over 30 days? I do have one way airline ticket.....early March I think... then I drove back to BC...

Should I when I finish off school over there, transfer my car back to BC and territory Z it? or should I do out of province from Manitoba, my family have a house there also.

jackmeister 03-31-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 6888569)
I just got pulled today, he say as long as I'm driving in BC, I can't have tint. :confused:
I'm from Manitoba, runs back and forth from BC and Mani about 3-4 time per year. Car's under Manitoba license, so is my Driver License. In Manitoba we're allowed to have 45 or 50% tint in the front sides.

He put a note on my file and let me go, but it got me wondering so you have to know all the laws and regulations of whichever province you drive in?:rolleyes:

As I travel to and from a lot sometimes by plane, sometimes by car, and I've got caught last time I'm in Richmond in January, and now again in March, but I haven't got caught in Winnipeg (you know, more nicer cops over there :thumbsup: ). Do I have to find proof of me haven't stayed for over 30 days? I do have one way airline ticket.....early March I think... then I drove back to BC...

Should I when I finish off school over there, transfer my car back to BC and territory Z it? or should I do out of province from Manitoba, my family have a house there also.

technically you have to follow the rules of wherever you go, no matter what jurisdiction you're in. for example, if you're 18, you can legally drink in Alberta, but that doesn't mean you can drink legally in BC.

however, knowing that, cops really shouldnt hassle you too much about something minor like that unless they have reason to believe you're driving a Manitoba-plated car in BC for longer than a certain amount of time, which then you have to change to BC plates.

I think gas receipts would be sufficient proof? maybe you should get into a habit of taking photos of yourself and car whenever you go back and forth lol

zulutango 04-01-2010 09:06 AM

The fact that you are attracting Police attention means that they must suspect that you are possibly 'normally resident" in BC and maybe have not complied with the requirements to change your DL and Registration over the BC. If you are legitimately here on holiday and not working and go back to Manitoba within 30 days, then there should not be a problem.

With the computer databases available now it is easy to do a search to see if you and your vehicle have had dealings to indicate that you live in BC. There a number of ways to monitor what you are doing. I never required a legitimate out of province visitor to comply with BC laws unless it was a major safety concern.

If you are a BC resident then your Manitoba DL and registration and Insurance will not be valid so you must change over. Get into a crash and watch how fast your private insurance will not cover you. If you work here,have an address, get cable, phone, power, have a BC Care Card...anything to indicate that you really live here, you are breaking the law. You may have your parents living in a house in Manitoba but it's really easy for Police here to contact Manitoba Police and do an investigation to see if you really are living there or just using the address to avoid the requirements. I've done a number of them.

If this happens then you start from ground zero in BC..for your Dl and regsitration..depending on your situation it may mean walking until you pass the driving tests and pay for a no-discount policy on your car.

Solo_D33A 04-01-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6889860)
The fact that you are attracting Police attention means that they must suspect that you are possibly 'normally resident" in BC and maybe have not complied with the requirements to change your DL and Registration over the BC. If you are legitimately here on holiday and not working and go back to Manitoba within 30 days, then there should not be a problem.

With the computer databases available now it is easy to do a search to see if you and your vehicle have had dealings to indicate that you live in BC. There a number of ways to monitor what you are doing. I never required a legitimate out of province visitor to comply with BC laws unless it was a major safety concern.

If you are a BC resident then your Manitoba DL and registration and Insurance will not be valid so you must change over. Get into a crash and watch how fast your private insurance will not cover you. If you work here,have an address, get cable, phone, power, have a BC Care Card...anything to indicate that you really live here, you are breaking the law. You may have your parents living in a house in Manitoba but it's really easy for Police here to contact Manitoba Police and do an investigation to see if you really are living there or just using the address to avoid the requirements. I've done a number of them.

If this happens then you start from ground zero in BC..for your Dl and regsitration..depending on your situation it may mean walking until you pass the driving tests and pay for a no-discount policy on your car.

It was a routine seat belt check then he saw the tint...

I'm contacting Manitoba Insurance about this, I have my Care Card here as I contacted MSP about me being student there but will be back in a few years while will be visiting often, they say I should keep it here.

I don't have any cable, hydro or gas bills, parents reside here. Both of my banks mail to Manitoba.

hmmm have to wait til my brother comes back to celebrate his birthday then leave with him....

Solo_D33A 04-01-2010 01:35 PM

Just found while looking into the transferring back process from MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) and ICBC, in ICBC they say visitors can drive for 6 months? :confused:

http://www.icbc.com/cs/Satellite?c=I...#1225925777251

skidmark 04-01-2010 05:04 PM

All that says is that if you are visiting BC as a tourist, you can do so for a period of not more than 6 months with the driver's license from the jurisdiction that you are visiting from. If you are moving here, you are not a tourist.

Manitoba does allow tint on front side windows:

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/regs/pdf/h060-099.93.pdf

but BC doesn't. There is no exemption for tourists driving on BC roads with vehicles that are equipped contrary to the BC rules.

Solo_D33A 04-01-2010 05:26 PM

So basically BC car can tint the fronts when they visit Manitoba then? as same rule applies that I shouldn't have tint in BC with other plates.

When I move back of course I'll switch to BC DL and plate. Currently here for RS meet:thumbsup:, helping parents, maybe transfer of school back to BC, and my brother's birthday with our family...

hmmm... then I don't know why I was pointed out by the officer about 30 days limit then... :?

sebberry 04-01-2010 09:32 PM

It doesn't matter where you live, where you have your insurance or car registered, where your DL is from, etc... if you travel to another province, your car's equipment must meet the regulations in that province. Short answer is even if you are visiting BC, you must remove the tint. Makes no sense to me why such laws vary by province or why you would have to modify your car to visit another province, but that's just me.

Following the rules of the road (stop at red lights, yield to the right, etc..) is one thing but having to modify your vehicle to enter the province? Asinine.

How tint is legal and safe in Manitoba yet illegal and deadly in BC is beyond my comprehension.

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 04:39 AM

I noticed one thing in Manitoba that made tint, imo, is important and to a point, necessary.

In winter, the road is plowed but the snow banks to your left and right is pretty high. And most of the time it'll be like that for months and it's going to be sunny and cold, so the snow never melts.

Ever tried driving on wet road but sun reflected all over that sometimes it hurts your eyes? That's what it's like over there for months at a time...

A thing I have about no tint in the front is did they think about people with prescriptive lenses?

Here's a story I just thought of...

It's a very nice weekend afternoon, perfect time to go for a drive. As I pull out of the garage, it's very sunny, sun's shining in, as I don't have tint to protect me from UV burns, I get hot since the sun is now burning onto me, fine, I can do with sun screen on before I leave or just turn the AC on. As I switch the AC to cool, I took off my glasses and switch to a pair of prescription sun glasses.
As I drove down the highway, I came across Massey Tunnel. It states "Use Headlights Remove Sunglasses Thru Tunnel". So I turn on my headlights, but now I have to take my right hand to open the glove box, take the glasses pouch, unzip it with only 3 left fingers holding the steering wheel, lay the pouch down on the passenger seat, take the glasses out and put it on my lap, take my sun glasses off and throw it onto the passenger seat as I've already halfway from the sign to the tunnel going at least 80kmh. I then put on my normal glasses, drive through the tunnel.
On the other side, the sun is greeting me from the side, I flip my passenger sun visor down and throw it sideways to the side position, look at the passenger seat for my now stuck in the crease between the passenger door and passenger seat. I have to pull myself up and forward so the visor can actually block the sun. I then have to pull over on the shoulder of the highway so I can get my sunglasses back out, switch them and put the normal glasses on the center glove box so I can easily switch them when the sun starts to go down. I then saw cherries popped behind me, we greeted each other and gave me a ticket for parking on the highway while not in an emergency, dangerous driving as he saw me leaning over to get something, and not wearing seat belt as he presumed me took the seat belt off to lean over to grab whatever I was trying to get then tell me to get going. I reluctantly accepted the ticket and starts driving.
A friend then called saying if I can pick them up as they don't have licenses, sure, not like I shall leave my friends helpless now isn't it? I picked them up car full of people, chatted while driving them home. Sun's now coming down, I then reached backwards a bit to get my glasses out of the center glove box. This time should be easier as I don't have to open the pouch. I then took my sun glasses off, during which I heard screams and tires screeching from in front of me from a distance, guess what happened?

Now if I have tint, in this scenario, I wouldn't have stopped on the shoulder of the highway so I don't have to receive the tickets, and I would not have, well, whatever you guessed. :p

OOooo... that got long... I guess I was carried away....
Thank you for reading this story, it's 5am, and I'm bored AND tired. ;)

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 6891183)
guess what happened?

I posted on RS!:haha:

j/k

neh, really since Manitoba have half the year with snow reflection which BC doesn't I understand somewhat the rules adapted to each province/area...

I might later transfer the car back sooner as cops over there doesn't care as much about what mods you have or where you're from, but when I pull my tint it'll be fine anyways, people will just think I'm weird to not tint the front in Manitoba o_0. And I couldn't find a territory Z equivalent from MPI anyways.

sebberry 04-02-2010 09:45 AM

It doesn't matter, tint kills. Deal with the sunburn and sunglasses.

zulutango 04-02-2010 09:57 AM

So you couldn't have swung your glasses up onto your forehead while in the tunnel?

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6891299)
It doesn't matter, tint kills. Deal with the sunburn and sunglasses.

If it does then why would tint be allowed in the back? and why would Manitoba allow it in the front?:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6891315)
So you couldn't have swung your glasses up onto your forehead while in the tunnel?

yes, anything's possible, thus this is only a scenario... but when I let my glasses touch my hair, usually my hair will be gelled and it'll leave lots of marks onto it that you'll find it very annoying and messes your vision somewhat:(. Thus I usually either leave it on my lap, on the dash, or just hold it with 2 fingers and rest of the 2 hands on the wheel.;)

I used to leave my sun/glasses in the center glove box with the pouch open and switch it (if going through massey tunnel southbound per say) by Steveston as it's already the point of no return... unless I don't know there's a tunnel up front....
A few years ago I started just leaving my sunglasses in the center, haven't been using it much ever since I have the front side tints... maybe max 10 times? Now I just leave it in whichever car I drive that have no tint and it's sunny that day, now I don't even remember which car it's in:haha:.

underscore 04-02-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 6891183)
I noticed one thing in Manitoba that made tint, imo, is important and to a point, necessary.

In winter, the road is plowed but the snow banks to your left and right is pretty high. And most of the time it'll be like that for months and it's going to be sunny and cold, so the snow never melts.

Ever tried driving on wet road but sun reflected all over that sometimes it hurts your eyes? That's what it's like over there for months at a time...

A thing I have about no tint in the front is did they think about people with prescriptive lenses?

Here's a story I just thought of...

blah blah blah

Two words: pull over. If your sunglasses are so dark that you need to switch to normal glasses in the tunnel, pull off the road, safely switch them, proceed through the tunnel, pull over again and switch back.

sebberry 04-02-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 6891484)
If it does then why would tint be allowed in the back? and why would Manitoba allow it in the front?:confused:

Because the Manitoba government doesn't care if drivers are mamed and disfigured in a collision.

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6891486)
Two words: pull over. If your sunglasses are so dark that you need to switch to normal glasses in the tunnel, pull off the road, safely switch them, proceed through the tunnel, pull over again and switch back.

That's why I don't get the government, you've ever seen the sign at Massey tunnel and where they place them?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...49.22,,0,12.34

You tell me how do they expect people to pull over?

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6891492)
Because the Manitoba government doesn't care if drivers are mamed and disfigured in a collision.

Possibly, I mean that could mean more money spent in hospital and facial reconstruction industry:p

underscore 04-02-2010 01:10 PM

off topic but zomg what's with the 3D glasses dude? can you use google maps in 3D now? awesome!

back on topic, that doesn't seem like a very dark tunnel. if you were unable to remove your sunglasses due to a prescription I doubt you would have many problems in there. there should be a place to pull over after the warning signs but before any tunnels though.

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 01:22 PM

Have you ever tried to pass through with sunglasses? it's darker than you think:haha:. I tried:(, forgot I am using sun glasses when I step in and have to drive my parent's truck to pick up stuff, it's even better (for me) to just lower the sunglasses and look through (I only have 120 something each eye).

Yeah, I noticed too, and when you go forward in the tunnel a bit, look back you can see the another google camera car. I wonder where can we buy the 3D glasses or can we just make some ourselves. :p

underscore 04-02-2010 01:35 PM

Yeah it's not the *best* idea but it's doable. I'm not sure what you mean by 120, I'm 4.25 in one eye and 6.00 in the other according to my contact lens box.

I think it just needed normal 3D glasses? like the el cheapo ones with the one blue lens and the one red lens.

Solo_D33A 04-02-2010 01:42 PM

well, that time I can't do anything, don't have my glasses with me:(. I took AlexFraser back on the way back... which was a mistake, stuck for a long time. lol

I don't wear contacts, so I have no box to look, but I remember I have 120~ degrees of near sight. which isn't bad considering it haven't gone worse over the years... well, at intersection I have to really focus to see the street name...