REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Alignment or something worse? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610981-alignment-something-worse.html)

Chuck Norris 04-04-2010 07:47 PM

Alignment or something worse?

Not sure if I am posting in the right section.

So I put stock tires and wheels on my car after my recent situation and the car steering is messed up big time.

When I drive it, I have to hold the wheel 45 degrees to the left to get the car to go straight and it pulls pretty hard to the right. If I let go, the car essentially makes a hard right turn.

Is this something that can be fixed with alignment? At first I was thinking yes but then I thought it must be something more serious since the steering isn't just a little bit out of whack.

The steering itself is fine meaning it will turn it's normal circle in either direction it's just like the rack and center point have been misaligned in a big way.

Where could I get this fixed ASAP since this is the only car I have and I need it for work.

Any help is appreciated.

blacK20 04-04-2010 07:50 PM

So all you did was put the stock tire+wheels back on the car and now the steering is all off? I assume it was perfectly fine with the previous set of wheels+tires?

blacK20 04-04-2010 07:55 PM

Just noticed the previous thread and saw you have a s2000 which has a factory stagger. You sure you didn't the wrong wheels on the wrong corner of the car?

Blinky 04-04-2010 09:40 PM

45 deg is a lot of lock. Are you running the same tire/wheel on each side of the axle? (from the other thread you say two wheels were jacked - front, back or both on one side?)

Did you hit anything? Boulder? Pothole? Cute and fuzzy animal-turned-moist-red-spot?

Assuming your wheel/tire situation is relatively straight, I'd first check for any obvious suspension damage and then I'd go to a good alignment place who hopefully would be able to tell me if All Was Right.

Chuck Norris 04-04-2010 10:06 PM

It has nothing to do with staggered wheels.

My only guess is that somehow the damage was done when the thieves stole my wheels. It would be comparable to when you hit a huge pot hole but this seems way worse. I took a look at the control arms and everything and nothing looks out of place. Its as if the steering rack was knock over to create this problem.

If that's the case (lets say when someone hits a pothole or a curb) will alignment usually fix it within a threshold or is it usually a time when you have to repair the steering mechanism itself?

Impreza 04-04-2010 10:12 PM

If you do an alignment it will show you what is wrong with the steering. It sounds like something is bent. Since it seems as you have a honda there is no adjustments for anything except for toe adjustment. I would say it is not going to be cheap. Did you have an ICBC claim when your vehicle was stolen? If you do you should get them to fix the damage.

Chuck Norris 04-04-2010 10:18 PM

Yeah it sounds like somehow something got damaged. I have no idea how.

Any places you can recommend that I should take this to to get fixed?

J____ 04-04-2010 10:23 PM

sounds like a steering/suspension component got damaged. if it was just a bent rim from potpole, u'll get a killer wheel vibration, not constant 45 degree pull to 1 side. check out tie rod, control arm. shouldnt be too hard to tell if you jack up the arm see if anything's really messed. 45 is quite a bit so you should see a noticeable damage if there is any. If it looks fine prolly center the steering and see if the steering column is messed up.

Chuck Norris 04-04-2010 10:33 PM

Cost? Place to go? I was thinking I wasn't going to bother with insurance but the more I look into it, I think I'm going to have to claim it. I didn't want anything on the report since it's clean title but whatever. Nothing I can do about it now so.