REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   painting issues (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611343-painting-issues.html)

NashMan 04-09-2010 03:40 PM

painting issues

well I am painting my engine bay right now and all was going good tell it wrinlked on my last coat of paint i laid grrrrrrrrrrrrr

well now i not sure what i want to do the wrinlke did not pull the primer up it just pulled the last coat up by the looks of it

so how do i fix this

wet sand it then respray if i remove to much paint it did nto happen all over teh einge bay

and just the einge bay but i don't want ti to look liek ass what should i do

i thik the wrinlking came form the up set of temp

i was all useing thosu c02 power jar thing liek arosole but not

Valk 04-10-2010 12:56 PM

what might have happened is you got a some skin oil or other contamination on there, or you applied too thick a coat over a coat that didn't have enough time to properly flash or cure.

the only way to get rid of this completely is to sand down, reprime and start again but you can kinda work the area back with a dry spray method.

when i did my front lip this happened in random little spots when i used a rattle can primer to fix spots i had sanded through. put it on too thin ect..

what i had to do was take some random yellow i had that was the wrong color, and build up the areas with very light, dry coats.
you choke the feed on your gun way down and spray from a higher elevation than you normally do so the paint is almost dry when it lands.
apply several light coats like this to the areas and lightly scuff between coats.

then apply a light, uniform coat or two over everything to blend it out.

NashMan 04-10-2010 03:07 PM

my plan was to sand it done wiht 600 grit and then re spray paint not primer

is this a bad idea

Valk 04-10-2010 04:14 PM

just make sure you clean everything very well before you apply any paint. and keep your coats really thin. paint is just for coverage, finish and build comes from clear.

NashMan 04-10-2010 04:17 PM

thus why i am not a painter

Valk 04-11-2010 09:34 PM

you get anywhere on that man?

NashMan 04-12-2010 07:00 AM

just wet sanding right now and got ride of the wrinkle i have Buddie dropping over and he is good with a gun

he suggested some thing called tumbler and sealer so it wont pull the paint up or some thing

Valk 04-12-2010 10:28 AM

Clear coat also works sometimes.
Posted via RS Mobile

NashMan 04-15-2010 07:12 AM

my life sucks have to start from scarch and so much time wasted fuck i hate this shit

Valk 04-15-2010 04:51 PM

well, you can try to dry spray it and see if it works for you.
otherwise, its not that bad. just sand down as low as you can go and apply your sealer/primer again. tape off the surrounding area and feather new product to blend it.
when you get the color kinda close again. sand it all and apply a couple coats of paint to the entire bay.

you should talk to jim at jb precision. I talked that guys ear off for hours when i did my front lip. VERY helpful.

NashMan 04-15-2010 05:56 PM

naa she is fucked no way to fix it with out cashing the paint around