REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Questions regarding building a street legal race car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611388-questions-regarding-building-street-legal-race-car.html)

levelzero 04-10-2010 12:42 AM

Questions regarding building a street legal race car

I'm building a track only car, but would like to try to keep it street legal so that I don't have to tow it everywhere and so I can go to the friday night street legals.

I've read that I must have a dash but have been unable to find any reference to this in the MVA. Does anyone have a link to the section that states this.

I know I have to keep the side windows glass, but do they have to be operational?

Do I have to keep the stock door handles or do I simply need a way of opening the doors from inside the vehicle?

Do both doors/windows have to be operational if thee is only one seat?

skidmark 04-10-2010 05:17 PM

You need to go down to the library and read the standards for inspection that the designated inspection stations use. If you don't want to read the book, they have free access to it on line. (Bring a flash drive....)

jlenko 04-10-2010 11:23 PM

Hi Clayton :)

How about checking out the Motor Vehicle Safety stuff online? http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...ts-1993c16.htm

Rich Sandor 04-11-2010 11:03 AM

I know that the driver's side window must be operational - if you have one! Older Jeeps, for example, do not. You do not need to have a plastic/vinyl dash, but you will need certain instruments. You might get failed by an inspector if any part of the cage could potentially injure a passenger or the driver.

I know you don't want to tow your track-only car around, BUT, I've been there, done that, and I can tell you it's not a good idea to try to drive a dedicated race car on the street, even if it's just to the track and back. For one, it's less safe (I won't go so far as to say it's unsafe) and another reason is, things break and blow up at the track. Having a trailer is cheap insurance!

TheSalesman 04-11-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6901972)
I know that the driver's side window must be operational - if you have one! Older Jeeps, for example, do not. You do not need to have a plastic/vinyl dash, but you will need certain instruments. You might get failed by an inspector if any part of the cage could potentially injure a passenger or the driver.

I know you don't want to tow your track-only car around, BUT, I've been there, done that, and I can tell you it's not a good idea to try to drive a dedicated race car on the street, even if it's just to the track and back. For one, it's less safe (I won't go so far as to say it's unsafe) and another reason is, things break and blow up at the track. Having a trailer is cheap insurance!

I drive my car to the track and back. Just get a BCAA PLUS membership and you should be good to go.

jlenko 04-11-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6902035)
I drive my car to the track and back. Just get a BCAA PLUS membership and you should be good to go.

^ Mint idea! :thumbsup:

TheSalesman 04-11-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6902062)
^ Mint idea! :thumbsup:

i'v only had to use it once in the past 3 years. lol
snapped axle.

seekerbeta 04-12-2010 09:40 AM

from making a Race Car Street Legal, there are somethings that are gonna Be Mandatory

Cage - Inspectors like to see padding on it to prevent contact in a collision

Windows - Must be Clear of Breaks, and the drivers side MUST work (for hand signals/ escaping)

Signals - All signals must work (Side markers etc) and they must be BC Colors (See the lighting thread for more information)

levelzero 04-12-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6900968)
You need to go down to the library and read the standards for inspection that the designated inspection stations use. If you don't want to read the book, they have free access to it on line. (Bring a flash drive....)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try to get out to a library to look that up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6901534)
Hi Clayton :)

How about checking out the Motor Vehicle Safety stuff online? http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulat...ts-1993c16.htm

Hi Lenko,

Thanks for the link. I'm sure it'll help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 6901972)

I have a trailer but it needs some work done on it before I'll put it into regular use, I also need a bigger tow rig. In order to race this year I'll have to drive the car to/from the track. Insurance will be cheaper then 5-6 day tags a month. If me schedule allows I will get the trailer ready, but for now I'm planning to not have the use of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekerbeta (Post 6903310)
from making a Race Car Street Legal, there are somethings that are gonna Be Mandatory

Cage - Inspectors like to see padding on it to prevent contact in a collision

Windows - Must be Clear of Breaks, and the drivers side MUST work (for hand signals/ escaping)

Signals - All signals must work (Side markers etc) and they must be BC Colors (See the lighting thread for more information)

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the padding, but the rest is as I expected.

Rich Sandor 04-13-2010 12:32 AM

wanna sell the trailer?? :)