REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, & Security Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/audio-video-security-tech_10/)
-   -   Help, car audio!! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611406-help-car-audio.html)

truong 04-10-2010 11:10 AM

Help, car audio!!

Hey guys/gals

I have know very little on electronical terminology and knowledge ( I still think electricity is witch craft )
Anyways, my speakers blew out(MY 00) so I went a head and removed my door panels and continued to remove my speakers.

My speakers had four wires running to the back of it. They were simply removed and the process of purchasing a new one to replace it began. The only problem is that the new one I purchased only had two prong thingys for me to plug the wires into. This created sound that was similar to really loud head phones. I returned it to best buy and asked them for something with four prongs or plug ins. They had no clue what I was talking about.................... :banghead:

Can anyone please assist me on this?

jlenko 04-10-2010 11:39 AM

Your stock speaker was a probably a two-way speaker with separate inputs for the low or mid range, and the high range (tweeters). Probably have a factory amplifier somewhere in the car as well.

Aftermarket speakers that are two- or three-way (or more) will usually have one set of input terminals (as yours had) and will be spliced off inside the speaker housing. Unless you can split them off (carefully!!) you won't be able to run it as it is.

There are several ways around this... but it would helpful to know what kind of car you've got first.

truong 04-10-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6900687)
Your stock speaker was a probably a two-way speaker with separate inputs for the low or mid range, and the high range (tweeters). Probably have a factory amplifier somewhere in the car as well.

Aftermarket speakers that are two- or three-way (or more) will usually have one set of input terminals (as yours had) and will be spliced off inside the speaker housing. Unless you can split them off (carefully!!) you won't be able to run it as it is.

There are several ways around this... but it would helpful to know what kind of car you've got first.

I have a 2000 Honda S2000, Is there a way where i can just purchase a damn speaker and yes! There was a aftermarket amp that came with the car

jlenko 04-10-2010 12:19 PM

Ooh.. aftermarket? Doh. Well.. that throws a wrench into things. If it was a stock radio setup you were replacing, I'd be able to look up the wiring schematics and figure it out for you over the 'net.

Since it's aftermarket.. you're going to have to have someone look at it to see how it was wired up. Sorry dude.

jlenko 04-10-2010 12:21 PM

The easy way around it ... is to run new wiring from the head unit to the speakers. Then you know what goes from where to where.

Unless you can figure out where the outputs from the head unit go... to the amp.. and then just use ONE output instead of splitting it up for the two-way.

If you can figure out which speaker wires went to the original speaker... the pairs that is... and try one pair then the other. See if it sounds ok, but I suspect it won't... the impedance of the aftermarket speakers compared to stock might not be right.

truong 04-10-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6900726)
The easy way around it ... is to run new wiring from the head unit to the speakers. Then you know what goes from where to where.

Unless you can figure out where the outputs from the head unit go... to the amp.. and then just use ONE output instead of splitting it up for the two-way.

If you can figure out which speaker wires went to the original speaker... the pairs that is... and try one pair then the other. See if it sounds ok, but I suspect it won't... the impedance of the aftermarket speakers compared to stock might not be right.

:confused: I is very clueless as to what you speak........

Haha want to do it for me for some free go kart passes?

jlenko 04-10-2010 12:59 PM

Sorry, I tend to babble a bit. I'm an electrician, so car audio is easy as pie for me.

Do you have an aftermarket deck in the car? Or stock?

truong 04-10-2010 01:54 PM

stock deck

SumAznGuy 04-10-2010 06:07 PM

Can you take a pic of the speaker and the wires?

This will give us a better idea of what you are talking about.

I know my stock MY02 speakers only have 2 wires.

!SG 04-10-2010 07:44 PM

it may just be the honda's 2 wires in, 2 wires out to the tweeter.

SumAznGuy 04-10-2010 08:26 PM

If it is all stock, his MY00 S has no tweets. Just the stock 2 way speakers.

catalin 04-10-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6900774)
I'm an electrician, so car audio is easy as pie for me.

I've seen this before... in fact other then the electrical code, electrical work is much easier then car audio. Lights are on or off right?

Thought I'd throw that in, sorry I couldn't resist.

Ellen_degenitals 04-10-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6900774)
Sorry, I tend to babble a bit. I'm an electrician, so car audio is easy as pie for me.

LOL...do you know how many 'electricians' I see who do their own car audio work with fucking Marettes and solid core wiring? Its easy as pie when you don't know what you are doing. :)

jlenko 04-10-2010 11:31 PM

Sorry to disappoint you boys... but I'm not a construction electrician. I work on trains :)

No wire nuts or solid wiring here. It's all computer controlled, fuel injected, high-tech stuff (well, the new ones at least). They're more like a big diesel truck to be honest... but the tools are staggeringly similar to what I used to use at GM shops.

jlenko 04-10-2010 11:34 PM

Ok.. so the stock deck... let's assume that the speaker level outputs have been wired to this aftermarket amplifier you were talking about. Then it's split off into (probably) four channels.. two channels to each of the speakers you just removed.

If that's the case... you can do it one of two ways (whichever is easier for you):

1. Run new wiring from the back of your deck, to the new front speakers. Bypass the amp entirely... or

2. Bypass the amp wiring AT the amplifier. You have to figure out what wires come in from the stock deck... then connect those to one of the pairs of wires going to each door.

Without seeing your car in person... can't do much more than that, sorry.

orgasm_donor 04-11-2010 12:35 PM

Maybe talk to one of us sponsors and we can take a look at it for you.
I know advice is always free from our shop. :)

Lowered_Klass 04-11-2010 09:39 PM

^ Go see Mike and the boys at Sounds Good. They'll get you sorted out! :)

Phil@rise 04-12-2010 11:43 AM

Is the door panel still off? If so a five minute stop by the shop will have you sorted. We're in Richmond assumingly not far from you if your going to best buy.