REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   HELP!!!NEEDS SUGGESTION ASAP!!Grease Monkey needed! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611423-help-needs-suggestion-asap-grease-monkey-needed.html)

heero78 04-10-2010 05:32 PM

HELP!!!NEEDS SUGGESTION ASAP!!Grease Monkey needed!

I am about to buy this car.
I just asked BCAA to do the inspection for me today.
here is the result
I really would like you guys to take a look for me since I am not really knowledgeable in cars' mechanic.

There were only 3 reds(unsatisfactory) on the report
Mostly Green sign with some yellow

anyways
here is the list of the comments:
1. Exterior Body and Paint Repaint evident left side of vehicle. A few dings, chips and scratches.
6. Bumpers Front and rear bumper covers scuffed.
22. Washers Repair as needed.
26. Battery Level Had to boost battery to start vehicle. Charge and retest battery.
27. Charging Voltage 14.4 Volts
28. Instrument warning lights
SRS (Air Bag) light on. Requires further diagnosis. Due to dead battery, not all Readiness Monitor tests
completed and code has to be set in radio.
44. Coolant good to -36°C
131. Left Front Remaining Tread %_60_
132. Right Front Remaining Tread %_60_
133. Left Rear Remaining Tread %_70_
134. Right Rear Remaining Tread %_70_
136. Wheel rims Left rear and right front alloy wheels scuffed.
138. Studs, Nuts, RH Could not locate key for locking wheel nut.
124. Disc/Drum Right Front 124&125 Front and rear brake discs rusty. Should clean up with use.
126. Lining Right Front
Remaining Lining _40_% Unable to remove wheels to check brakes. Could not locate key for locking wheel nut. Brake
wear as seen through and behind wheels.
127. Lining Right Rear Remaining Lining _20_% Rear brake linings worn. See also #126 comments.

so ya the question is
are these things gonna cost me tons to repair??
such as rusted brake etc?

thank you!!!:)

oh haha forgot to add
its a 2002 RSX type S
with 160k mileage.

TheSalesman 04-10-2010 05:39 PM

is this car from a dealership? Things like the SRS light should be fixed before you take it. That could be costly.

heero78 04-10-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6900984)
is this car from a dealership? Things like the SRS light should be fixed before you take it. That could be costly.

its not really a dealership.
its those you see on hasting or kingsway .....lol
i know..i know...some of them are shady...but thats why i got the BCAA to do the inspection.
right now I am asking for $7500.

TheSalesman 04-10-2010 05:46 PM

you should get an icbc report too and see if its a local car or not. If not, you'll need a carproof. Carfax is good too but sometimes things don't show up on there.

TOPEC 04-10-2010 06:15 PM

Repainted bumpers already suggest the car had probably been in an accident. I wouldn't touch it untill I see icbc reports to see what and how much the accident was.
Posted via RS Mobile

SumAznGuy 04-10-2010 06:20 PM

Rusty brakes shouldn't be an issue. from the sounds of it, the car has been sitting for a while and the rotors have some oxidization.

Dead batter might be an issue. Being an 02, it may need a new battery. $100 dollar fix.

Bad paint leads me to believe the car is a rebuild.

SRS light leads me to believe the car is a rebuild.

They might not have replaced the airbag or some of the sensors after the accident.

If the price is low enough, and you are happy with it, then get it. But bewarned I do think the car sounds like a rebuild,

Red 5 04-10-2010 06:23 PM

You usually get what you pay for. ie if the car in question is below the current market value there's usually a reason for it. There are lots of RSX-S for sale on craigslist Vancouver. Carproof and ICBC reports are good, but only if the previous owner(s) claimed insurance and didn't fix the damage with their own money.

heero78 04-10-2010 07:35 PM

oh i already got the carproof before I got the BCAA inspection done
passed air care fine
only two accidents..one in 05 cost 4k to fix, the other one in 06 cost 2k to fix.
car is local BC from langley
not a rebuild or salvage etc.
other things came off clean.

how much would i be looking at for fixing the SRS light issue?? worst case scenario?
and what about issue such as rear brake linings worn?

thanks!

Shun Izaki 04-10-2010 08:47 PM

if this is a type-s, stay away...

especially that white one... it's been sitting there for awhile...

from what i'm told, that car was ROLLED, and fixed.

heero78 04-10-2010 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shun Izaki (Post 6901326)
if this is a type-s, stay away...

especially that white one... it's been sitting there for awhile...

from what i'm told, that car was ROLLED, and fixed.

nah its a black one

Fafine 04-11-2010 07:03 AM

sorry off topic question how much was the bcaa inspection do you have to be a member to get an inspection from them? goodluck

seekerbeta 04-11-2010 09:14 AM

From the BCAA Website
Quote:

Vehicle Inspection Fees

Fees - As of December 10, 2009. Prices do not include taxes.

Mobile Inspections Members Non-Members
Most Vehicles, 4x4, Vans $139.95 $159.95
Luxury vehicles and vehicles 10-15 years old* $149.95 $169.95
http://www.bcaa.com/wps/portal/BCAA/...s.xsl/1761.htm

Fafine 04-11-2010 09:14 AM

thanks

Phatmobile 04-11-2010 11:02 AM

I've owned a 02 type-s since new, here's a little info:

SRS light is a common problem for RSX, there's a re-call / TSB for that, get the VIN and check with any Acura dealership.

stock battery last for 4-5 years so if that's still the oem one should replace it; an InterState battery will cost ~$100.

heero78 04-11-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siu-p (Post 6901971)
I've owned a 02 type-s since new, here's a little info:

SRS light is a common problem for RSX, there's a re-call / TSB for that, get the VIN and check with any Acura dealership.

stock battery last for 4-5 years so if that's still the oem one should replace it; an InterState battery will cost ~$100.

I see
thanks for the info!!:thumbsup:

Truenosan 04-11-2010 04:57 PM

If all the mechanical stuff checks out, I would bring it to a bodyshop that is certified to do structural integrity tests and see if the car has been in any accidents, and if it has, was it repaired properly.

orange7 04-11-2010 07:31 PM

off topic but..

what's a grease monkey?

cause if you need some grease, you should go talk to lz.

Shun Izaki 04-11-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6902586)
off topic but..

what's a grease monkey?

cause if you need some grease, you should go talk to lz.

you're not one :P

underscore 04-12-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truenosan (Post 6902371)
If all the mechanical stuff checks out, I would bring it to a bodyshop that is certified to do structural integrity tests and see if the car has been in any accidents, and if it has, was it repaired properly.

+1 to this, my friend imported a car from the states and it passed all the inspection stuff, but when he went to get an alignment a few months into owning it he learned the frame was bent and basically the only way to have the wheels run straight would be to have the car drive a bit like this:

...|.....|

.....|.....|

with those lines being the tires. so be sure to get it checked out fully, especially with that 4k accident.

TOPEC 04-12-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 6903919)
+1 to this, my friend imported a car from the states and it passed all the inspection stuff, but when he went to get an alignment a few months into owning it he learned the frame was bent and basically the only way to have the wheels run straight would be to have the car drive a bit like this:

...|.....|

.....|.....|

with those lines being the tires. so be sure to get it checked out fully, especially with that 4k accident.

thats called the thrust angle.