REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Subway's Nutritional Value

I've always wondered about Subway's nutritional value. For years they kinda marketed themselves as the 'healthier' fast food chain, with "Eat Fresh", Jared losing a boatload of weight.

I've eaten Subway a LOT in my life but I really got thinking about the actual freshness of the ingredients. The lettuce/vegetables comes presliced in a bag, when was it actually shredded? How long did it take to go from the factory to the Subway trays? Are there any strange preservatives in the tomatoes?

The majority of the meats can't be healthy, particularly the Cold Cut Combo, and the Italian BMT, crazy amounts of processing with nitrites off the charts probably. That being said, the BMT is probably my favorite sandwich.

That and consuming tons of white carbs, and watching people wash it all down with a coke = probably not the healthiest 'sandwich' type lunch you could have. It doesn't help that I see people slather on the Chipotle and Mayonnaise.

Any thoughts?

That being said, I love Subway. Tastes so good.
Advertisement
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
maybe its just me but after eatting subway i would be hungry within the hour. and i usually eat 1 ft long and a 6inch.

chicken bacon ranch is my favorite
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
You can make it healthy by getting sliced turkey or chicken breast putting no cheese and loading ever vegetable imaginable to man. And getting whole wheat and no drink.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Just gotta pick and choose. Coke? Make it water. Mayo? Make it mustard. Bacon? Cheese? Really it's all up to you.

Personally I love subway. Much better and probably healthier than any other fast food chain.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
the tomatoes are generally pretty fresh IMo
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
i always go straight turkey sub on brown
its still 100g of carbs tho, once you eat a footlong.

i avoid the mayo and get mustard.
i add siracha when i get home
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

I graduated from Food Science at UBC and my opinion is that the Tuna Sandwich with the Honey oat bread is probably the most healthy and least in fat content.

Subway is healthy, as long as you get your fair share of vegetables in your sandwich.
HondaWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaWorld View Post
I graduated from Food Science at UBC and my opinion is that the Tuna Sandwich with the Honey oat bread is probably the most healthy and least in fat content.

Subway is healthy, as long as you get your fair share of vegetables in your sandwich.
Who did you bribe to graduate? Tuna is one of the worst, with the most fat content due to the mayo it's mixed with. The tuna and the meatball marinara are the two worst offenders on Subway's menu, IIRC.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

there's been a subway thread already.

i find that the sandwiches are pretty expensive, especially after the raised their prices half a year ago.

They are successful over other chains like Quizno's because customers get to customize their sandwich. You may argue that Mr.Sub have these choices too, but there is probably a 25:1 Subway to Mr. Sub ratio in Vancouver.

It would kick ass if Subway offers decent soups as well.

We can see that Timmy Hoe's is going towards Subway's directions, last time I saw that they have a sign where you get to choose a selection of 6-8 sauces in your sandwich.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

LOL@ TUNA BEING THE MOST HEALTHY....

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...-on-honey-oat/

that dont look too healthy now does it.... and its for a 6inch sub...

I usually get a Veggie Sub with no mayo, whole grain..allll the veggies extra pickles, jalapenos, no cheese, no onion...just mustard...boring I know, but its better than smearing it with all that extra crap..

Subway can be healthy it just depends on your choice of toppings...

The shredded lettuce in the bag thing...id like to know how fresh that is as well...anyone here work at subway?
Princess121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
G
Banned (BBM)

Subway is good as long as you don't get the sauce + the cheese.. those 2 things are killer.

I usually get the cold cut or ham with everything except olives , no sauces, no cheese, on whole wheat.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
The only "good" part of Subway is the mayo and cheese. And those are far from real mayo and cheese, so that should tell you how bad the food is there. Gorge yourself on 100g of carbs, and you are looking for trouble. And the "meat" they serve is packed with corn syrup and starch too. Fillers, nitrites, etc. Go buy a burger at macdonalds, and the meat is 100% pure beef.

The fact that Subway is marketed as a healthy alternative because they use more bread is fucking hilarious. And even more funny is that people fucking eat it up like morons.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
i've read stories on how 'fresh' the meat is. the veggies are pretty good in my opinion. seriously, i finally at a whopper from BK 2 weeks ago. i haven't had a burger of any type from any fast food chains in a good solid 5 years and man, i wanted to puke. I will choose subway over any fast food if i had to.

I love quizno, their toasted are great (so much diff than subway) and you get those little peppers too.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:30 AM   #14
VLS Moderator

There is a chemical sprayed on cut vegetables to keep them from browning after they are cut. I can't remember the name, but you don't want to ingest that stuff too much.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 AM   #15

Before deciding what to do, you need to take a look at the actual ingredients of the ingredients.

Let's compare Subway's meat to a Quarter Pounder patty.

Patty: Beef.

And at Subway, you can choose one of these wonderful "low fat" ingredients. Let's say you want the "Oven roasted chicken"

Boneless, skinless, oven roasted chicken with rib meat, water, soy protein concentrate, salt, modified food starch, chicken flavor (contains salt, autolyzed yeast extract, sugar, molasses, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, sodium phosphates), sodium phosphates

Mmmmmmm,Chicken flavor! That's my favourite part of a chicken! The flavor!

Or let's say you want to go with the classic turkey breast. That's low fat after all! It has to be good for you!

Turkey breast, turkey broth, carrageenan, dextrose, modified food starch (derived from corn), salt, seasoned salt (salt, sodium diacetate, flavoring), sodium lactate, sodium phosphate. * Browned in soybean oil. May contain: seasonings (modified corn starch, dextrose, salt, carrageenan, sodium diacetate, flavorings), potassium lactate.

I guess turkey breast itself isn't good until you add thickeners and corn starch...

Let's set you want to live on the edge a bit, and order some black forest ham:

Ham cured with: water, dextrose, salt, potassium lactate, modified food starch (derived from corn), sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, smoke flavoring, sodium nitrite. May contain: seasoning [potassium chloride, pork stock, sugar, yeast extract, salt, lactic acid, fructose, sunflower oil, cysteine HCL, calcium lactate, modified food starch, flavors, grill flavor (from sunflower oil), polysorbate 80, rendered pork fat, and smoke flavor].

Grill flavor! I like grill flavor too!

The mayo actually isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. They use soybean oil of course, but making mayo with good oil is very difficult. I have made my own mayo with light olive oil, it works but is a pain in the ass to make an emulsification.

Subway's mayo uses real ingredients that you can actually pronounce:

Soybean oil, water, eggs, egg yolks, vinegar, salt, mustard flour, lemon juice concentrate, dried onions, dried garlic, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect flavor), paprika, natural flavor

But remember, mayo is BAD for you! Because it is high in fat! So let's get the FAT FREE HONEY MUSTARD instead. Because it is HEALTHY!

High fructose corn syrup, water, Dijon mustard, prepared mustard, distilled vinegar, honey, modified food starch, cider vinegar, lemon juice concentrate, salt, phosphoric acid, artificial color (Titanium Dioxide), xanthan gum, dehydrated onion, sodium benzoate, and potassium sorbate (as preservatives), egg yolks, dehydrated garlic, artificial caramel

Ah that's much better! High fructose corn syrup should ALWAYS be the number one ingredient in anything we eat! Followed of course by some corn starch and xanthan gum. Yum! And fat free!

Their cheese is actually all decent too. milk, cultures, enzymes. OH BUT IT'S HIGH IN FAT! Let's have some FAT FREE sweet onion sauce instead!

Sugar, water, corn vinegar, corn starch, food starch-modified, spices, salt, toasted onion, dehydrated onion, poppy seeds, onion juice, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (as preservatives), dehydrated red bell pepper, caramel color, cucumber juice, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor, celery seed.

Ah, sugar AND corn starch! That's much better.

And to top it all off, it's all cradled in a huge bun with over 50g of carbs for a 6". Be sure to avoid all that mayo and cheese! Even though those are the only two ingredients at subway that consist of real food, they will make you fat!!!

EAT FRESH~!
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 AM   #16
resident Oil Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
There is a chemical sprayed on cut vegetables to keep them from browning after they are cut. I can't remember the name, but you don't want to ingest that stuff too much.
I knew it. From the factory to the shop the lettuce should've browned already.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
skinnypupp should get a job as a lobbyist for fast food in the states.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
resident Oil Guru

1/2 the reason why people think Subway is so healthy is because of that guy Jared.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
shit i thought a veggie sub on whole wheat with light mayo and sweet onion sauce be healthy lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
skinnypupp should get a job as a lobbyist for fast food in the states.
I'd be a lobbyist for using your brain, something people tend not to do very often.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Dr-Vn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #22
VLS Moderator

^LOL
Old 04-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #23
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

but doesn't the MCD beef patty contain all those sodium chemicals as well?
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #24

No.

Beef Patty Ingredients:

100% pure USDA inspected beef; no fillers, no extenders. Prepared with grill seasoning (salt, black pepper).

Real food.

Of course, most morons who go to McDonalds will want to eat "healthy" by ordering something "low fat". So they turn to things like "Chicken Breast Strips". Because chicken breast is healthy!!!

Chicken breast strips, water, seasoning [food starch-modified, salt, autolyzed yeast extract, maltodextrin, chicken broth, natural flavor (plant and animal source), spice, chicken fat], salt, sodium phosphates, sunflower lecithin, maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source). Battered and breaded with: wheat flour, water, food starch-modified, salt, spices, leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), garlic powder, onion powder, dextrose, spice extractive, extractives of paprika. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

Yeah, I'll take the 100% beef, thanks
Old 04-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^ Which fast food joint sells real 100% beef patties?

Anyways, Jared was probably eating way worse before he started this subway campaign...a lot of people can lose weight just by cutting out sugar...It's false advertising IMO...you never knew what his lifestyle was before and you don't really know his currently lifestyle so you can't come to a conclusion that eating subway will result in weight loss..

As well, why get subway? you're paying for a few slices of processed meat and cheese with a 6 inch or a footlong...
why don't you spend the same amount of money on real, whole foods?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote