REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Question for any police officers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611857-question-any-police-officers.html)

fuhkyu 04-14-2010 10:52 PM

Question for any police officers

My friend and I were talking tonight because he got a speeding ticket. I told him if he wants he can dispute it, according to him 6 months ago there was something pass that made it mandatory for police officers to attend dispute hearings. Just wondering if any officer or anyone could chime in.

Thanks in advance

PiuYi 04-14-2010 11:39 PM

not an officer, but at my hearing just a few weeks ago there was a cop that didn't show up... if that answers your question

wing_woo 04-15-2010 08:26 AM

It's not mandatory for them to show up, but if they don't, then the ticket gets thrown out. Before, officers go on their days off and get paid OT (I believe), but now they try to schedule court dates while officer is on duty so they are obliged to show up. Also, they group officer's tickets together in one court date to minimize the disruption to the officer's regular duties. However, if they are called away for a situation or are taking an emergency call, that will take priority over the court case. Hope that clears it up.

I know because I disputed a ticket and the officer admitted he was wrong, but he told me to show up to court to make sure he is actually there before I leave. He wanted to make sure that I was there to plead not guilty in case he couldn't guarantee that he would make it (due to possibly being called away for an emergency or something). Luckily for me, he made it and we shook hands and he said he'd plead no contest on my behalf and that I can go home.

sho_bc 04-19-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wing_woo (Post 6907494)
It's not mandatory for them to show up, but if they don't, then the ticket gets thrown out. Before, officers go on their days off and get paid OT (I believe), but now they try to schedule court dates while officer is on duty so they are obliged to show up. Also, they group officer's tickets together in one court date to minimize the disruption to the officer's regular duties. However, if they are called away for a situation or are taking an emergency call, that will take priority over the court case. Hope that clears it up.

Exactly that. We are expected (by our bosses and by the JJPs) to attend any court dates, including traffic court. For traffic court, if the officer who issued the ticket, or someone to prosecute on his/her behalf is not in attendance, then the ticket is withdrawn with no convictions. If the person who was issued the ticket doesn't show up, they are convicted of the offence(s) listed on the ticket.