REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Another speeding ticket (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611889-another-speeding-ticket.html)

ifihadar8 04-15-2010 11:35 AM

Another speeding ticket

K so today I got a speeding ticket for doing 92km in a 60km.
The officer was standing just around a corner holding out his radar gun so I had no chance of seeing him.
He let me off with the minimum fine.

I have my class 5

I also had the same fine when I had my N. (less than a year ago)

So my questions is what is my situation with my points as well as premium (DPP).

I shouldn't be close, but just wondering.

Should i just pay the fine? I don't really know what I can argue. Probably not smart just to hope for a no-show from the po po.

Thanks

G-spec 04-15-2010 11:47 AM

you should ALWAYS pay the fine, if you're clearly guilty to avoid complications. If you think there is a level of unfairness in what the officer fined you with, then go dispute it, but in this case it's clear as day you are guilty of speeding.

But it's obvious you still want to go ahead and try to get out of paying a dollar, so go ahead and dispute it most likely the officer won't show up in court.

ifihadar8 04-15-2010 11:49 AM

Thanks!
I'll probably just pay it.

Do you have any knowledge about my points situation?

datoad 04-15-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifihadar8 (Post 6907721)
Thanks!
I'll probably just pay it.

Do you have any knowledge about my points situation?

From the ICBC website:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...dpp-calculated

Depending on when you last received your ticket you may or may not have the dpp premium. The assessment period is 5 months before your birthdate

jackmeister 04-15-2010 01:16 PM

pay within 30 days and get 25 dollars off!

hchang 04-15-2010 03:21 PM

I thought you had to re-do your 24 months of your N if you get a speeding ticket

wing_woo 04-15-2010 04:26 PM

You would if you were on probation, but one ticket (unless it's excessive) will not get you suspended on an N, unless there were some other circumstances.

simsimi1004 04-15-2010 06:32 PM

Dispute the fine but not the offence.
If your in a state that makes u unable to pay, ex: student + no job + on loans, etc.
but 25$ off within 30 days on a minimum fine is not bad either.

hsh4 04-16-2010 03:22 PM

just pay it. its not that bad

Acuracura 04-16-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simsimi1004 (Post 6908290)
Dispute the fine but not the offence.
If your in a state that makes u unable to pay, ex: student + no job + on loans, etc.
but 25$ off within 30 days on a minimum fine is not bad either.

Just pay the fine and don't waste tax payers money tying up the court system. The Officer already gave you the minimum fine ($138). I really doubt a judge will lower that amount further. The judge will know you've already received leniency by the Officer, in that your ticket should have been $196. The only thing the judge will do for you is offer you more time to pay but it's not going to get lower than that.

skidmark 04-16-2010 07:25 PM

The judge cannot lower the fine further.

jlenko 04-16-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6909879)
The judge cannot lower the fine further.

No, but they can raise it!

j0hn 04-17-2010 09:05 AM

From a strictly financial perspective: Because you already have a ticket this year, even if you don't have any real basis for a dispute, do it. Doing this will push the trial in to next year and therefore when you don't show up or the judge finds your claim without warrant, you will be found guilty as of the date of the trial. This means the points will apply in the next year after your current ones have been paid off/expire (as of the date of your next birthday).

This is strictly financial advice, depending on your social conscience or sense of morality you may not choose not to heed it :thumbsup:

Btw, check the date of your last ticket. If it was prior to your most recent birthday, those 3 points have expired.

LiquidTurbo 04-17-2010 10:21 AM

Be a man, pay it, learn your lesson, move on with life.

v.Rossi 04-17-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6908008)
I thought you had to re-do your 24 months of your N if you get a speeding ticket

this is only when you're on probation, after the suspension peiod, once you get a ticket you gotta redo again.

Fuhrėr-Z 04-17-2010 12:48 PM

I just skimmed through the ICBC site and couldn't find an answer to this so, might sound stupid but...the point system works solely on a year by year basis? Say I got a ticket this year(meaning 12 months) and next year I got 2, would there be any chance of me paying a fine? Does it effect your road star status? I'm just confused about all this...someone told me the wrong information...

FerrariEnzo 04-17-2010 05:34 PM

your chance of the officer not showing to court is 50-50%

in my life of driving.. i has 3 tickets (12 years of driving) and i got lucky on 1 which the cop never showed.. the other, not so goodluck.. before entering the court, the cop would ask you one last time if you want to go ahead, i dnt know if its still like this.. but i gave up both times, i know i was gona loose so no point in wasting more time...

so it really depends on the cop.. some are lazy and wont show up and some jsut show up all the time..

wing_woo 04-18-2010 12:26 AM

No, it's not that they are lazy. Court dates are generally scheduled while the officer is on shift. If he is tied up at a traffic incident or something, then he won't be able to make it to court. Has nothing to do with who's lazy and who's not, unless the officer purposely takes a call to avoid the court date, but I highly doubt it. Even when the officer was gonna throw out the ticket in court for me, he insisted I should show up to make sure he was able to make it so that if he wasn't there, I'd just plead not guilty and if he was there, then he'd cancel it in court for me and I would have been able to go home right then without going through court. He said that as an officer, he can never tell what will happen during the shift which could lead to him missing the court case.

jlenko 04-18-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 6910935)
your chance of the officer not showing to court is 50-50%

in my life of driving.. i has 3 tickets (12 years of driving) and i got lucky on 1 which the cop never showed.. the other, not so goodluck..

Did you know 67% of statistics are made up on the spot? ;)

Looks like you've had a 25-75% rate... not 50-50... great advice :haha:

j0hn 04-18-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaconNbread (Post 6910658)
I just skimmed through the ICBC site and couldn't find an answer to this so, might sound stupid but...the point system works solely on a year by year basis? Say I got a ticket this year(meaning 12 months) and next year I got 2, would there be any chance of me paying a fine? Does it effect your road star status? I'm just confused about all this...someone told me the wrong information...

Based on a calendar year starting on your birthday. If you get more than 3 points in a year, you pay penalty points.