REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Unpaid Security Work (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612097-unpaid-security-work.html)

Brad Fuel 04-20-2010 11:41 PM

Willystyle: Yes you're right, thank you. Continuity is an element for Shoplifting

jplus 04-20-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 6916172)
In addition, if you don't have proper training or knowledge of making a citizen's arrest, please do not attempt to, often enough, the outcome of the incident is alot worse than having not initiated at all. Sometimes it's better to let that $5-$10 value of merchandise walk out of the store rather than risk getting sued thousands of dollars for a FA (False Arrest).

If you see a theft in progress, or a sketchy person in your store. Just greet them, your presence and acknowledgment that they're being observed is usually enough to prevent them to shoplift.

If that doesn't work, continue with performing customer service, follow that suspect around (at a reasonable distance). If they didn't intend to steal, they wouldn't mind at all, if they feel they've been spooked, they will walk out of the store or drop the merchandises.

If you see a suspect select, and conceal a merchandise (pair of blue jeans, for example), just walk up to the suspect, and politely ask if they need any assistance, for example, "Ma'am/Sir, I know a t-shirt that will go very well with that pair of jeans you've selected", If they don't shit in their pants at this point forward, come back and complain to me. :P

These are some of the techniques that I teach my staff on a daily basis and it should work in most retail environments. Hope that helped.

I'm a Loss Prevention Officer/Private Investigator with BST, AST, and Private Investigatior Licence.

That's really cool willystyle! Just curious do you do Private Investigation work outside of the retail/LP environment?

willystyle 04-21-2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jplus (Post 6916311)
That's really cool willystyle! Just curious do you do Private Investigation work outside of the retail/LP environment?

Yes I do.

Gumby 04-21-2010 02:32 PM

Cool thread - lots of interesting information here. :)

socialenemy69 05-05-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 6915871)
Yeah they are allowed to refuse. If you have a security camera and a sign on the door stating that customers are under surveillance it would be implied consent that their image will be captured.
That image, in turn, is property of the storekeeper and can be reproduced (within reason) for non-commercial purposes.

Basically it means that if the customer enters the store they know they're on camera. If they get caught doing crazy shit or even suspected the owner can post a pic saying "Suspect!" in plain (and embarrassing) view.

Unfortunately the Privacy Act does not allow that and the store can get in trouble if caught. I have seen some liquor stores post some pictures of thieves at their front doors but those have been removed now.

Also if you are arresting someone. They need to know why they are being arrested and they need to know their rights as well. So you have to read them the charter and warning card Sec 10(a) and 10(b). Basically it tells them why they are under arrest. They have the right to call a lawyer or legal aid. Ask them if they want a lawyer, and then the official warning is that anything the say may be given in evidence. If they were not told of their rights the charges will be thrown out in court.

Yes I work as an LPO, and I have made hundreds of arrests working at my store as well as a couple as a "customer" of other stores that I happened to be at when I saw someone shoplifting.