REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   moving to atlanta, need license advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612274-moving-atlanta-need-license-advice.html)

dbeggs686 04-19-2010 06:27 PM

moving to atlanta, need license advice

Hey, im going to school in Atlanta Georgia for 2 years, and i have my N. I am wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to either get my Georgia license or if i should use an IDP (international driver permit).

I was told that Canada has no jurisdiction in the states, and that whatever happens down there stays down there, as well that if i get my Georgia drivers license once i come back to Canada that i will be considered a 'new driver' and will have to restart my class 7 again..

Also, if i am driving down there, Georgia will i go by the US road rules? and there point system.

Thanks for the advice. looking for as much information as possible.

j0hn 04-19-2010 06:32 PM

It depends on the state. Find out if Georgia and BC have a reciprocity agreement. If you're a temporary visitor they probably won't make you surrender your license but you'll have to find out from that State's DMV. If you plan on coming back, I'd do everything in your power to keep your BC license...

dbeggs686 04-19-2010 07:05 PM

ok, so with my N, do i follow the class 7 rules of canada when im down there? or do i follow the rules of Georgia state? rules meaning points and penalty system..

Would my license be treated as a class 5 down there, or still recognized as a beginner license.

Greenstoner 04-20-2010 07:39 AM

skidmark 04-20-2010 11:39 AM

You follow the Class 7 rules for BC when you are down there until you are required to hold a drivers license from Georgia, plus you follow the rules of the road there.

zulutango 04-20-2010 12:38 PM

BTW...an IDP is NOT a driver's licence and it carries no authority to permit you to drive. it is just a translation in 5 (?) languages of your existing home Province DL. It usually is issued by someone like BCAA who are not a Govt. agency. I obtained one in Germany at their version of the A.A. when I wanted to rent a car there and they insisted at the rental agency.

no_clue 04-20-2010 04:11 PM

US law state that if you are staying more than 6 months, you need a state licence.
Also in the event that you get pulled over, always put both your hands on the wheel and don't make any sudden movements. US police are scary and are quick to draw their guns.

dbeggs686 04-20-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_clue (Post 6915506)
US law state that if you are staying more than 6 months, you need a state licence.
Also in the event that you get pulled over, always put both your hands on the wheel and don't make any sudden movements. US police are scary and are quick to draw their guns.

so i hear.. i heard its a good idea to turn the interior light on, and both hands on the wheel. definitely good advice.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions,

appreciated.