REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   Looking for a proven competent Megasquir tuner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612401-looking-proven-competent-megasquir-tuner.html)

falcon 04-20-2010 09:08 PM

Looking for a proven competent Megasquir tuner

Other than Fire and Fuel and Racing Greed, can anyone recommend a good Megasquirt tuner. I'm running a MS1 system in a Miata soon to be boosted. It's being built as a track car and I need someone who knows what they are doing to work their magic so it won't blow up :thumbsup:. Otherwise I have to leave my car in Seattle for a week which I don't really want to do since it's my current DD.

Any help is appreciated.

Lomac 04-20-2010 10:30 PM

What do you need help with? Do you have a base tune setup already and just need fine tuning done, or do you need the whole shebang put in?

Leopold Stotch 04-21-2010 02:19 AM

^ lol i had a feeling you'd reply in this thread

falcon 04-21-2010 11:14 AM

I am starting from scratch. I have a base tune but it's built for an NA car. All the positive manifold pressure tuning needs to be done from scratch.

Anyone here have thoughts on Rocket Rally? They say they tune MS.

falcon 04-21-2010 11:15 AM

The car is driveable right now... and the base tune I have on it is from another guy with exactly the same setup that I am running. He just tamed down his ignition map and sent it to me.. so it will need tuning specific to my car/engine.

originalhypa 04-21-2010 11:21 AM

My bro is having his car tuned by Marco at ForceFed. He's running a VW with a big turbo and squirt. He's quite happy so far, as Marco has been able to fix a lot of little things that were causing issues, and the car runs like a champ now.

falcon 04-21-2010 12:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have any input on Rocket Rally?

Lomac 04-21-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 6916441)
^ lol i had a feeling you'd reply in this thread

:D I enjoy my Megasquirt, what can I say? :lol

What version of MS1 are you running, Falcon? I can certainly help out if you need a hand. As for shops, I haven't heard much about Rocket Rally, but I've heard lots of good things about Fire and Fuel through the VW crowd. ForceFed also knows what they're doing with MS.

falcon 04-21-2010 04:09 PM

I have a close friend who's had his Miata tuned by FNF over the years with VEM... he now has a blown engine. So I'm a bit wary. As for Force Fed... I've seen quite a bit of sloppy work come out of thier shop so again... not sure. And they seem to blow up rotaries quite often.

I believe it's a V3 board

godwin 04-21-2010 05:55 PM

If you really want a customized map, I think it is best to pay someone to sit and ride your favorite roads and make custom maps that way. Going to Seattle might be good, but if you will be tuned for the Seattle area.

The way I personally do it is I tune a map and also record the route with GPS. So when I go back to my bench, I can visualize and find tune the settings. More data also means you get more information to back up your findings. I find the paid version of Google Map useful. But having raw data helps too, especially if your GPS setup also have an accelerometer.

There are many other reasons for a blown engines other than a bad map. As with anything that are related to automotive, you just have to learn the ropes, have a good understanding of basic physics and math.

falcon 04-21-2010 06:14 PM

This is a competition track car. Not a DD. If it was a DD I would have a road tune done.

falcon 04-21-2010 06:15 PM

FNF has blown two engines of his. I won't go into detail on here because you never know who's reading what but I just had a convo with him on the phone and I won't be going to FNF.

death_blossom 04-22-2010 07:18 AM

how much would a place like RG or Fire&Fuel charge for MS tuning? I wish I had known there were shops who tuned MS 3 years ago... :\

Phil@rise 04-22-2010 09:00 AM

We can help you. I've installed and tuned a couple MS1 systems.

Captain Bondo 04-23-2010 10:22 AM

RG or Blitzkreig would be my choice.

falcon 04-23-2010 07:27 PM

I've decided to go with Blitzkrieg.

vdubn4x4chik 05-18-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6917337)
I have a close friend who's had his Miata tuned by FNF over the years with VEM... he now has a blown engine. So I'm a bit wary. As for Force Fed... I've seen quite a bit of sloppy work come out of thier shop so again... not sure. And they seem to blow up rotaries quite often.

I believe it's a V3 board

I just want to say that rumors really do suck. I hope everyone gets the actual TRUE facts before they spread rumors.

Rumors like this can also have legal consequences. :)

The engines were not blown by said shop. The engines failed mechanically each time with due to maintenance negligence, not tuning or work done by them. It's just MUCH easier on the ego to blame other people ;)

Now... if the work is so "sloppy" work (FNF: you might mean the other company but it reads as FNF) why are they winning awards at SEMA and throughout Canada & USA for their workmanship and in car shows??

Let's keep the forums clean without the untrue rumors and without flame wars. :thumbsup:

vdubn4x4chik 05-18-2010 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6917519)
FNF has blown two engines of his. I won't go into detail on here because you never know who's reading what but I just had a convo with him on the phone and I won't be going to FNF.

Unless speaking from personal experience ... please do not spread untrue rumors. :thumbsup:

Captain Bondo 05-18-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 6921644)
I've decided to go with Blitzkrieg.

How'd it go?