REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Barbie Car DUI (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612429-barbie-car-dui.html)

RabidRat 04-21-2010 12:35 AM

Barbie Car DUI

Quote:

NY Times: Man Convicted for Driving Drunk in Barbie Car
By STEPHEN WILLIAMS

A 40-year-old man was pulled over by the police as he drove a modified electric Barbie car — maximum speed, 4 miles an hour — on a street near his home in Clacton-on-Sea, England.

Paul Hutton, a former Royal Air Force aeronautical engineer who is studying electrical engineering, later admitted in court that he had been drinking. “I was very surprised to get done for drink-driving, but I was a twit to say the least,” he said.

He had added larger wheels to the toy car, which is designed for toddlers to scoot around the living room. “I’m in the third year of my electrical engineering course, and it was a little project I was doing with my son, who is doing a car mechanics course,” he said. “When it was done, I couldn’t resist the temptation to take it out.”

The Sun reports that Mr. Hutton said he was driving it to a friend’s house when he was pulled over. The police administered a breathalyzer test, which showed him to be over the legal limit.

“I’m not unhappy with my punishment, just a little bit surprised,” he said.

Because Mr. Hutton had been previously cited for drunken driving within the past 10 years, his license was revoked for three years, and he was ordered to pay $130 in court fees.

“This is most unusual,” said Magistrate Neil Munson. “I have never seen the like of it in 15 years on the bench.”

While it was not clear exactly which model Mr. Hutton was driving, Fisher Price builds a Barbie Jeep that runs off a rechargeable 12-volt battery and retails for $250.

“The vehicle is not even capable of doing the speed of a mobility scooter,” said Mr. Munson, “and could be outrun by a pedestrian.”

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...emc=wheelsema1

vafanculo 04-21-2010 12:57 AM

He gets drunk and drives a toy car on public roads, after already having a drunk driving history...

Is this guy a fucking retard ?
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 04-21-2010 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 6916385)
He gets drunk and drives a toy car on public roads, after already having a drunk driving history...

Is this guy a fucking retard ?
Posted via RS Mobile

the toy goes slower than a jogger.... he shoulda just been charged for public drunkeness

orange7 04-21-2010 05:19 AM

I wonder if he had any illegal mods on the $250 toy barbie car that was he driving.

I doubt the toy car was even insured... the cop might as well laid down another charge there. :haha:

Qmx323 04-21-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6916481)
I wonder if he had any illegal mods on the $250 toy barbie car that was he driving.

I doubt the toy car was even insured... the cop might as well laid down another charge there. :haha:

it was probably lowered and had a knockoff N1 style muffler with underglow

Jeremy617 04-21-2010 09:30 AM

I still think this one is better:

Quote:

Kile Wygle (awesome name), 28, recently received a DUI after crashing his homemade bar-stool kart (pictured) and calling 911.

Kile crashed his bar stool near his Newark home earlier this month and called 911 due to his injuries. When an officer arrived and asked Wygle what happened, he answered, "I wrecked my bar stool." According to a Newark Police Division report, a copy of which you'll find here, Wygle's homemade ride is powered by a Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engine. Wygle noted that the bar stool could hit nearly 40 miles per hour, but that he was only going 20 when he wiped out late in the afternoon on March 4 (a witness told police that he spotted someone driving a "strange motorized machine" before the crash). A plastered Wygle, who failed a series of field sobriety tests, was charged with DUI and driving with a suspended license, both misdemeanors. His bar stool was not impounded.
http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/ma...memade_bar.php

ate.ge 04-21-2010 09:36 AM

^:haha::haha::haha::haha: bar stool!

Mugen EvOlutioN 04-21-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy617 (Post 6916704)

:haha::haha::haha:

InvisibleSoul 04-21-2010 12:34 PM

Something doesn't seem quite right to me there...

Does the law specify WHAT has to be driven in order to get a DUI?

falcon 04-21-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Because Mr. Hutton had been previously cited for drunken driving within the past 10 years, his license was revoked for three years, and he was ordered to pay $130 in court fees.
This is how it should be done everywhere.

fliptuner 04-21-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 6916983)
Something doesn't seem quite right to me there...

Does the law specify WHAT has to be driven in order to get a DUI?

I wonder if it applies to all motorized vehicles. Has anyone read anything about a druck cyclist recieving a DUI?

FI-Z33 04-21-2010 11:16 PM

lawl..bar stool was not impounded :haha:

gearshifter 04-22-2010 01:33 AM

... wow... just wow.

thumper 04-22-2010 06:01 AM

this isn't a joke is it? a 40 year old male can fit in a barbie car? :confused:

Berzerker 04-22-2010 06:30 AM

^^^ It was modified and had bigger tires on... good reading skillz

Berz out.

thumper 04-22-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6918910)
^^^ It was modified and had bigger tires on... good reading skillz

Berz out.

what does bigger wheels have to do with physically sitting in the car seat? i thought these things were something that you sit inside of, not on?

Berzerker 04-22-2010 07:27 AM

Obviously you never owned a power wheels lol. Naw you can sit on/in those little bastards but by the sounds of it, it was modified to fit adults. His kid was in mechanics and he was electrical so it probably was made to fit an adult.

Berz out.

thumper 04-22-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6918960)
Obviously you never owned a power wheels lol. Naw you can sit on/in those little bastards but by the sounds of it, it was modified to fit adults. His kid was in mechanics and he was electrical so it probably was made to fit an adult.

Berz out.

oic thanks... i only have a deprived childhood on my part to blame i guess :o.

twitchyzero 04-22-2010 09:21 AM

ls7 swap maybe?

Timpo 04-23-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6919064)
ls7 swap maybe?

no LS9

TRD Rs200 04-23-2010 12:37 PM

RB26DETT

Great68 04-23-2010 03:25 PM

Pfft Briggs & Stratton.

THIS is a man's bar stool:

http://www.bcbosshoss.com/sitecm/i/h....jpg?Width=446