REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Need Help!! car paint imperfection ! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612785-need-help-car-paint-imperfection.html)

wmr12 04-24-2010 04:34 PM

Need Help!! car paint imperfection !

Basically, i had some minor paint work done on my car about a year ago, but now days when i look at the car's paint job, it doesn't look smooth, it look very bumpy waxy and tons of orange peels but the the weird thing is that when i run my finger through the paint it feels smooth. it is very annoying, what should i do? will wet sanding the car paint get rid of this problem ? is there any other solutions that will fix this problem ? Thanks in advance!

gumnny 04-24-2010 07:27 PM

can you take a picture of the paint ? if you run your finger through the paint and it feels smooth then it is either the body is dent and bent , I am not really sure what you mean by bumpy waxy and orange peels

Supafly 04-24-2010 08:09 PM

try calling ken at exclusive to get him to have a look at it....we cant feel or see ur car through txt....

wmr12 04-24-2010 08:16 PM

Thanks guys for replying! the paint looks very uneven and bumpy doesn't look smooth but it feels smooth. i think is just the clear coat that is affected but i could be wrong! one more question! do you guys know if Autowerkes do wet sanding detailing ? if so what is the price range ?

604_Snooze 04-24-2010 09:41 PM

when you look at it, it has bumpy surface. Then when you touch it, the surface is smooth?

Truenosan 04-24-2010 09:50 PM

Since you said it has been painted recently, there could be waves in the body. Whoever repaired it might not have blocked down the primer/filler properly, hence why the surface might look uneven at certain angles.

wmr12 04-25-2010 05:05 AM

Yeh I think Truenosan is exactly right! So what is the solution to fix this annoying problem without repainting the veichle? Will went sanding it work or is there any other alternative solutions?
Posted via RS Mobile

911fanatic 04-25-2010 07:29 AM

If the clearcoat has has an "orange peel" look to it, it can usually be sanded out. If the panel is wavy, then its poor bodywork and there is nothing you can do. Unless you are paying someone huge dollars, you will not get your bodywork smooth as its just too time consuming. Most shops will use an air powered sander to smooth out any filler or primer and this will result in wavy panels.

Truenosan 04-25-2010 02:25 PM

Yep, only way to repair the waves is to have the panel repaired and painted again.