REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Licence Plate Removal Petition in the State of WA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614066-licence-plate-removal-petition-state-wa.html)

josel_atr 05-07-2010 10:10 AM

Licence Plate Removal Petition in the State of WA

Quote:

To: Washington State Legislature
We, The Undersigned, petition the State of Washington to change RCW 46.16.240, the current law requiring the display of a front license plate on passenger vehicles. The first sentence of RCW 46.16.240 currently reads, “The vehicle license number plates shall be attached conspicuously at the front and rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times.” We would like that sentence to read, “The vehicle license number plate shall be attached conspicuously at the rear of each vehicle for which the same are issued and in such a manner that they can be plainly seen and read at all times.” We would like to affirm that we support the current and future licensing fee structure. We only request that the law reflect that a front license plate is not required.

There are a number of benefits to this change in policy. They are outlined below.

The State of Washington will save money by producing half the amount of license plates. This money could be channeled to other needs such as road improvements.

By producing half the amount of license plates the State of Washington will be producing less waste. License plates are not recyclable and are difficult to dispose of properly. Less waste is always better for the environment.

Front license plates and the accompanying frames, screws and bolts can cause extra damage to other vehicles even in the most minor of collisions. Higher collision damage results in higher insurance costs. By removing the requirement for front license plates Washington State citizens would benefit by lower damage in collisions and therefore lower insurance rates.

Today many cars are constructed without mounting hardware for a front license plate. Washington State citizens who own such vehicles are required to either purchase mounting hardware, if available, or drill or otherwise modify the front bumper of their vehicles to come into compliance. This not only costs the Washington State consumers more money but can also lower the value of their vehicles, especially in regards to selling to other states that do not require front license plates.

Many classic era vehicles were not constructed with mounting hardware for front license plates. Removing the requirement of front license plates would allow classic car owners to maintain their cars in their original state. This would keep the value of the classic cars higher.

Vertical surfaces create wind resistance and drag on moving vehicles. Wind resistance and drag on vehicles leads to a decrease in fuel economy. Even though the effect would be small on an individual basis, the overall effect statewide of removing the front license plates would be great. Greater fuel economy leads to less air pollution and a cleaner environment.

Vertical surfaces on the front of moving vehicles reduce the vehicles’ ability to cool the engine and other parts. Radiators, oil coolers, intercoolers and air conditioning units are all affected negatively by front license plates restricting the air flow through the front of vehicles. By reducing the effectiveness of the engine and other parts the engine and other parts work less efficiently. This restricted air flow also inhibits the air intake ability of many vehicles. Inhibited air flow in a vehicle’s intake and a less efficient engine and other parts lead to lower fuel efficiency and therefore lower fuel economy. Like with wind resistance and drag, the individual effect may small but the statewide effect would be great. Again, greater fuel economy leads to less air pollution and a cleaner environment.

Some people might suggest that the lack of front license plates would make it more difficult for law enforcement officers to identify suspect vehicles. However the time available for viewing the front of a moving vehicle is extremely short. This is made the more difficult at night when vehicles have their headlights on. It’s the rear of vehicles that can be easily viewed for longer periods especially when a suspect vehicle is being pursued. In fact, there is no evidence to suggest that front license plates have any direct correlation to crime rate, public safety or any other area of law enforcement.

Motorcycles in Washington State already do not require a front license plate. There have been no serious issues arising from the lack of front license plates on motorcycles. There should likewise not be any for other vehicles.

Law enforcement officers may actually find themselves with a little more time with the removal of the front license plate requirement. Less time will be spent on violators with no front license plate. This would leave more time to pursue more pressing issues such as reckless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.

We, The Undersigned voters and general public of the State of Washington request that you, the officials who make the law, abolish the legal requirement of a front license plate on vehicles. Rare is the instance indeed when a lawmaker has the opportunity to make a change that not only improves the environment but saves money for the State of Washington and its citizens. Please take this issue seriously as it does have many benefits to the environment, the state and its citizens. We urge you to join the following states in not requiring a front license plate: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia.

We wish to assert that we thank and support the local Law Enforcement Officers and Law Making Officials in the State of Washington in their efforts to make this state a better place to live. We hope that they will continue to make good choices that positively affect the environment, the state and its citizens. We believe that abolishing the requirement to have a license plate on the front of passenger vehicles will continue this noble endeavor and bring even greater credit and honor to the State of Washington as well as the citizens and civic servants therein.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
Someone should start our Own BC Petition to change the laws regarding front licence plates. I cant because I have sucky writing iskeels. :bigthumb:

alwaysideways 05-07-2010 11:29 AM

Agreed someone get on this!!!

TOPEC 05-07-2010 12:13 PM

u guys never plagiarized in school did u?
just copy the whole document into word, use find and replace, and change all "the state of washinton" to "the province of brisith columbia"
and there ur done.

InvisibleSoul 05-07-2010 12:38 PM

Good luck with that one... not enough of the general population will give a crap.

tofu1413 05-07-2010 12:56 PM

maybe this is an excuse for us car lovers and those blazing / enviroment loving hippies to join force for once.

bloodmack 05-07-2010 01:07 PM

some cars dont look very good without a plate in the front, but most "jdm is tyte yo" cars do lol.

optiblue 05-07-2010 02:26 PM

Meeh, I'm happy with my side mounted plate! But if this gets going, I will sign!

simsimi1004 05-07-2010 02:33 PM

i can think of some cons.
1. traffic cam lights, not sure if the picture taken gets the rear or the front.
2. Security purposes, ex) like entering a underground parking lot, etc and the camera is only facing the entrance.

Soundy 05-07-2010 02:40 PM

http://www.bloodredmetalheads.com/ph...con_violin.gif

yvrnycracer 05-07-2010 03:17 PM

nevada wording is the best... in their FAQ

Quote:

If your vehicle was not built with a bracket for a front tag, you are not required to display a front tag. You will still be issued two tags, and you must keep that tag to use or to eventually return to the DMV with the other tag.

If you sell the vehicle and buy another that has a place for a front tag you can use both tags at that point, or surrender both of them to get new plates.

cctw 05-07-2010 10:26 PM

i'm all for this...but how come the petition sounds like a paper written by a grade 12 student...

the arguments are pretty weak imo..i doubt it'll even get attention

jlenko 05-07-2010 10:42 PM

There are soooo many flaws in that lame ass argument... I'm not going to waste my time shooting holes in it.

It'll never come to pass... just like Van Der Zalm's attempt at thwarting the HST.. another waste of fucking time.

Petitions don't do shit.

Shun Izaki 05-08-2010 06:26 AM

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RICER SIDE-MOUNTS!?

i WANT to show my sickass plate off QQ!

alex.w *// 05-09-2010 09:21 PM

i dont mind having front plate.

need a petition to allow front tint

CP.AR 05-09-2010 11:12 PM

My front plate blocks off the "ACURA" wording in my bumper....

Groot 05-10-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex.w *// (Post 6945537)
i dont mind having front plate.

need a petition to allow front tint

Pro: windows will not be shattered when in a car crash.
Posted via RS Mobile

LowTEC 05-10-2010 02:39 PM

they never do

InvisibleSoul 05-10-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazydriftz (Post 6946207)
Pro: windows will not be shattered when in a car crash.
Posted via RS Mobile

Con: Cops will get ambushed.

sunny_j 05-10-2010 08:56 PM

i would like to see nevada law implemented here

tiger_handheld 05-10-2010 10:04 PM

^ what is nevada law?

sunny_j 05-11-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 6946855)
^ what is nevada law?

post #10

Sgt_Koopa 05-11-2010 09:50 AM

The guys that are trying to do this in Washington State, do they happen to be tuners or from a car club by chance?