REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Boots! :S (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614137-boots-s.html)

bcrdukes 05-14-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPhuong (Post 6952190)
Superslowss wtf 125cc? that's less than my friends dirtbike. I highsided in dirt but it still counts as riding. I've only lowsided on my streetbike when I was too fast in a corner twice. 125cc's LOL your hilarious.

Ulic Qel Droma lowsided on a 49cc scooter so.....125cc is nothing. :p

Gh0stRider 05-14-2010 07:40 PM

frame sliders FTW!

Mashimaro 05-15-2010 02:49 AM

I just picked up a pair of Sidi Vortice from Aaron at Modern. His pricing was even better than the pricing on Ebay...but yes, deal with him, not his dad murray.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...tice_Boots.jpg

tegz 05-15-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6952666)
I just picked up a pair of Sidi Vortice from Aaron at Modern. His pricing was even better than the pricing on Ebay...but yes, deal with him, not his dad murray.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...tice_Boots.jpg

Those boots are so hawt. Do u mind if i ask how much he sold them for?

Mashimaro 05-15-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6952882)
Those boots are so hawt. Do u mind if i ask how much he sold them for?

lol, yah dood, i love these boots, takes a few mins to get in and out of them though....

i paid $500 OTD for these boots from Aaron @ Modern.

tegz 05-15-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 6953018)
lol, yah dood, i love these boots, takes a few mins to get in and out of them though....

i paid $500 OTD for these boots from Aaron @ Modern.

Ahh the price to pay for the best boots around.

What u think about these? I really dont have the money to spend $500 currently on just boots....

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...2954g17673.jpg

Do you know if modern has these sidi strada's in stock?

tegz 05-15-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 6952294)
frame sliders FTW!

The bike im picking up today (gixxer600) has frame sliders installed, does that mean I should be less worried about damaging my ankle?

bcrdukes 05-15-2010 03:30 PM

Uhh...no. Frame sliders are to protect your fairings in the event you drop it but it doesn't mean it will 100% protect it from damaging your bike. :p

SuperSlowSS 05-15-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPhuong (Post 6952190)
Superslowss wtf 125cc? that's less than my friends dirtbike. I highsided in dirt but it still counts as riding. I've only lowsided on my streetbike when I was too fast in a corner twice. 125cc's LOL your hilarious.

I thought you highsided on the street.

But I have seen you ride. You should follow 125cc for a while. Not newbie..but someone experienced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6953043)
The bike im picking up today (gixxer600) has frame sliders installed, does that mean I should be less worried about damaging my ankle?

maybe if it has racing foot pegs.

Mashimaro 05-15-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6953043)

Frame sliders are meant to save your frame and not always the fairings :thumbsup:

Those boots would be great to get. Riding boots are better than any running shoe in a crash!

xPhuong 05-15-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSlowSS (Post 6953154)
I thought you highsided on the street.

But I have seen you ride. You should follow 125cc for a while. Not newbie..but someone experienced.

maybe if it has racing foot pegs.

Sorry but that's not realistic at all. I have not met anyone experienced who rides on a 125cc. And can I ask who you are? I like to know who I'm getting advice from before I move on. Especially with trolls these days a pic of your bike would be good enough I dont need a pic of yourself.

And can I ask what your qualifications are on giving me advice?

SuperSlowSS 05-15-2010 07:42 PM

Acuracura! he is a good and safe 125cc rider. If you are lucky enough to meet him one day on a group ride. Follow him. Watch and learn. :) Really it can be any good safe rider that does the speed limit.

And you know..I didn't say forever. Just for a few rides. It really helps. All about building confidence.

oh who am I? well next time you see a ride for s2s... pace: expert. Come. :)

bcrdukes 05-15-2010 10:25 PM

Displacement of a bike does not equate to riding experience. There are a lot of complete fools on litre bikes who have little to no riding experience.

Oh, and there are TONNES of experienced riders out there, including 7 time champions who ride a 125cc. :)

tegz 05-16-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6953516)
Displacement of a bike doesn't not equate to riding experience. There are a lot of complete fools on litre bikes who have little to no riding experience.

Oh, and there are TONNES of experienced riders out there, including 7 time champions who ride a 125cc. :)

QFT. Today I found out that I wasn't a squid.... yet!

Went the speed limit -- sometimes below it... -- and tried to be well aware of my surroundings on my first ride (with a supervisor following me of course)

Needless to say that it was the best day of my life :D

Would you guys ever forget your first street ride on a bike?

Anyway here's a phone pic of my gixxer, hopefully I can get the hang of controlling it better soon enough!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5130407_n.jpg

Pretty stock except for the fender eliminator kit, levers, chain, and the frame sliders.

Gonna take some hi-res pics of it by next weekend!

xPhuong 05-16-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperSlowSS (Post 6953352)
Acuracura! he is a good and safe 125cc rider. If you are lucky enough to meet him one day on a group ride. Follow him. Watch and learn. :) Really it can be any good safe rider that does the speed limit.

And you know..I didn't say forever. Just for a few rides. It really helps. All about building confidence.

oh who am I? well next time you see a ride for s2s... pace: expert. Come. :)

Sorry but I've been on the s2s and it doesn't take a professional to go fast on there. The highway is generally 3 lanes except for sometimes. And generally the twistie parts aren't very technical. There's a brief corner b4 the sign about squamish and some kind of museum I can say that takes finesse to actually turn at speed but the other ones aren't. And its crawling with cops too. Not trying to hate on you or anything lol. And I have no hate for 125cc's but like I've said I've never met anyone who's ridden a cbr125 that is well rehearsed.
Posted via RS Mobile

Gh0stRider 05-16-2010 10:16 AM

Tegz, nice pick on the gixxer. Too bad you couldn't make it to the meet. It was dominated by gixxers :)
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 05-16-2010 10:32 AM

tegz,

Come out to the next RS Coffee Meet! Nice choice on the bike. I am jealous. :D

tegz 05-16-2010 11:18 AM

Thanks, I will definately try to improve to the point where I won't embarass myself too much in the next 2 weeks!

Mashimaro 05-16-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6953884)
Thanks, I will definately try to improve to the point where I won't embarass myself too much in the next 2 weeks!

Just ride safe and ride within your skill level/comfort zone :)

nice bike you got there! looks to be in great shape as well! bring it out to the next RS Coffee meet. Would've been cool having another gixxer there :)
(i've got the orange/black 750 in the coffee meet pics page)

bcrdukes 05-16-2010 01:43 PM

^
Ditto.

Everybody was very well behaved and we're all old enough to know that horsing around on bikes isn't "cool." The ambulance was there last night so...if you had gotten hurt... :D

Gh0stRider 05-16-2010 02:14 PM

Although some punk on a scooter was reving their engine. Almost had to report him to the cops :p
Posted via RS Mobile

SuperSlowSS 05-16-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPhuong (Post 6953736)
Sorry but I've been on the s2s and it doesn't take a professional to go fast on there. The highway is generally 3 lanes except for sometimes. And generally the twistie parts aren't very technical. There's a brief corner b4 the sign about squamish and some kind of museum I can say that takes finesse to actually turn at speed but the other ones aren't. And its crawling with cops too. Not trying to hate on you or anything lol. And I have no hate for 125cc's but like I've said I've never met anyone who's ridden a cbr125 that is well rehearsed.
Posted via RS Mobile

lol you are a funny guy. Look, I know you are young and still in highschool.
So I am not going to tear you a new one. Besides I really just wish you to ride your bike as long as you can. And be safe on the road. If you go back and read what I actually wrote...you will see that I suggested you follow any good rider that does the speed limit. Slow first... speed will come. Anyways, wish you a good season and many more to come.

stevo911_ 05-16-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc25 (Post 6949212)
x2 for sidi.
But if youre on a budget, I bought a set of Nitro high cut boots, not ankle (since its the most important area to protect)

I'd stay away from the Nitro boots, I had a set and they fell apart after 2000 km of me riding with them, so I'd be skeptical if they'd actually hold together in a crash

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPhuong (Post 6951236)
If your just doing city thing get short cuts or even regular sneakers will do. Because in a city if a car hits u ur leg is gonna be crushed either way lol.

Sneakers are NOT substantial enough, I know 2 people know who've had their bike land on them and have the foopeg go through their shoe and into their foot (one a lowspeed off and another getting bumped over by a car in a parkinglot)
The non-racing model Sidi's are the best way to go IMO, very breatheable, comfortable, dont squeek when you walk, look relatively normal under street clothes and arent crazy expensive, while still providing you with good protection.
I even went offroading with my Sidi Vertebra's yesterday and they worked out OK ish (went on a ride and found a access road/walking path/donkey trail those of us on supermotards couldnt resist)

tegz 05-16-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6954021)
^
Ditto.

Everybody was very well behaved and we're all old enough to know that horsing around on bikes isn't "cool." The ambulance was there last night so...if you had gotten hurt... :D

Thanks, I'm trying to brain-wash that train-of-thought into my head as I ride all the time.

Today I dropped my bike, although the frame sliders protected the bike from any damage except a rock-chip sized scratch on my rear frame.

What happened was I forgot that I had my disk brake lock on after parking it on the street (So far I'm only used to taking it off when I leave home) and when I started up the bike and let go of the clutch with both feet on my pegs, my bike fell to its side while I was trying to pull away from the curb. :(

http://www.ronincycleparts.com/img/M...ck-MTDISC2.jpg
Something like this..

"It's not if you drop it, it's when you drop it."

Thank god no damage over $100 was done, but I'm still bummed out and kind of disappointed that I did this to my baby!!..

bcrdukes 05-16-2010 11:48 PM

Ouch!

But hey, it happens to the best of us. At least this wasn't while in traffic. That would have suck. Probably better to have gotten over it now than later, right?

Looks like you're starting off on the right path with a good attitude. I always tell myself that when you're on the road, there's nobody to impress other than yourself making sure you get home safe. :)