REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Laneway Housing in Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614316-laneway-housing-vancouver.html)

EFifty3 07-02-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 8655514)
What is that statement based on? $100,000 for 500 sqft puts the total for the build at $200 sqft, and that's a totally reasonable number that's appropriately a bit below the average for a custom home in Vancouver.

Permits, plans, and city services hook ups can run up close to 60% of that.

supafamous 07-02-2015 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 8654980)
Didn't mean to bump up a really old thread, but this was one of the threads that popped up in regards to laneway housing.

Has anyone recently propped up a laneway home on their Vancouver property?

Did a quick google search, LaneFab.com and smallworks.ca came up as the top search.

Any feedback in regards to these two companies?

I've been talking with Thomas from Lanecraft about putting a laneway in my in-law's lot. Nice guy, not pushy. His pricing starts at $190K and he can do offsite builds which are faster and less messy. His builds look pretty nice and seem to do a good job maxing out the available floor space.

Also talked with Jack from Tyko Development - said a laneway runs about $180K for a 33" lot one but only $110K if you're already building a house. All the permits and work for power and sewer lines drive up the cost a lot - my in-laws are lucky that the sewer lines run in the back of the lot so it's a lot less digging.

The in-laws seem fairly keen now so this might happen over the next few months, will share what we learn.

SoNaRWaVe 07-02-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowjinboo (Post 8655507)
100k is NOTHING for a laneway. Honestly that is one cheapass laneway.

its cheap because we are currently rebuilding our home. so it is supposed to be cheaper. if you want to build a laneway without rebuilding the home, the price goes up significantly.

v_tec 07-03-2015 12:43 AM

I'm looking at lanefab's gallery. All the ones they are showcasing are 1000+sf

How much do these run? 500k+?

multicartual 07-03-2015 11:52 AM

Housing was at one time something that made communities

Housing is now simply an investment designed to squeeze every last dollar from your fellow man

TypeRNammer 07-03-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v_tec (Post 8655650)
I'm looking at lanefab's gallery. All the ones they are showcasing are 1000+sf

How much do these run? 500k+?

The Dumfries Solar Lane House was ranging from $450,000 to $500,000.

Cost was high because of materials that were used to build it.

Also their one car garage got converted into a one kid bedroom and an office den.

Other wise on the lower end of costs, it starts at $300,000 for 1000sq if using lower end materials and appliances.

RuffleCopterz 07-03-2015 08:22 PM

If you live in a Vancouver special with the garage attached to the house, are you eligible to build a lane way house?

SoNaRWaVe 07-03-2015 09:58 PM

our old house was a vancouver special and had a garage attached. we were eligible to build a laneway. not sure what the requirements are, but all you gotta do is call city hall and ask if your lot is available to build a laneway on.

needless to say, the laneway would render your attached garage useless unless you convert it to something. and that would probably take a bit of work.

jing 07-03-2015 10:19 PM

The requirements are easily found with a quick Google search that leads you to the CoV website. IIRC, depends on zoning but as far as I could tell, pretty much any SFD home is eligible

GLOW 07-04-2015 07:23 AM

Building your laneway house | City of Vancouver