REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   1990 integra.. idle problems (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614331-1990-integra-idle-problems.html)

FerrariEnzo 05-10-2010 09:28 AM

1990 integra.. idle problems

so my car has some idle problems...

it was idleing a lot less when i got it... now its all the time..

it would be at 1000 rpm then goes up to a little past 1500 rpm for a few secs then drops just below 1000 rpm and does this again repeatedly....

i was thinking of buying those cleaning additives you put in the fuel tank then i have to fill my gas tank and see wht happens.. but im scared i might screw thing up even worse..

anyone here knows what im talking about and how to correct this?

welfare 05-10-2010 09:39 PM

it could be many things. you throwing any codes?
try cleaning your IACV.
or could be a vacuum leak

FerrariEnzo 05-10-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 6946824)
it could be many things. you throwing any codes?
try cleaning your IACV.
or could be a vacuum leak

i dont have an OBD reader...
how do i clean the IACV...

FN-2199 05-11-2010 01:16 AM

I'm thinking water pump. Check your coolant levels. If it's low, put some in and the next time you start it up, watch to see if the levels go down.

Reply back with more questions and answers :)

welfare 05-11-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 6946888)
i dont have an OBD reader...
how do i clean the IACV...

90-91 aren't equipped with obd.
there is a 2 wire service connector just above the passenger kick panel. you jump that with a paperclip and if you have any codes, the engine light will throw a series of flashes corresponding with the code(s). do a search. there are tutorials all over the net.

the IACV (idle air control valve) is located on the back of the intake manifold. it's held with 2 10mm bolts and has 2 small coolant lines attached. unbolt and clean the screen if it looks plugged with carbon. the actual valve may have failed though, in which case replacement will be necessary. do a search on that as well. i believe there is a test you can perform to check if it's functioning correctly.

snow88 05-15-2010 02:08 AM

You dont need to jam a paper clip in to read the code, pull the carpet back on the passenger foot well and see if the light on the ecu is flashing.

FerrariEnzo 05-15-2010 04:36 AM

i checked, either the light is dead or there is not problem.. theres no flashing... or at least i can see it.. maybe its better if i did it at night?

alwaysideways 05-15-2010 08:00 AM

No you woulda been able to see it. As posted above my money is on dirty or misfunctioning IACV. Clean it or replace it and you should be good as new!