REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Car starting problem Need help.... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614596-car-starting-problem-need-help.html)

JSims 05-13-2010 03:36 AM

Car starting problem Need help....

I been having a problem some of the times I start my car. when I turn the key it would click sometimes... and not start.... take a while to start over.. at first I was thinking it was my battery... but when it finally turns over and starts, the rpm's spike up to like 5k and goes down. so figured its probably something else would anyone know?

godwin 05-13-2010 05:40 AM

There are so many possible things.. eg battery, voltage regulator, relay, ignition switch, starter, coil or even the ECU. It sounds like your car is dumping fuel but no spark. You either take it to shop or you diagnose the issue and eliminate it one by one.

gdoh 05-13-2010 06:23 AM

i would take it to a shop or do some research on similar problems

Akira@Rise 05-13-2010 08:58 AM

I would take a look at the starter motor but it could be other component is making the problem.

JSims 05-13-2010 11:19 AM

Anyone have any trust worthy places in south burnaby i can bring it?... and would it be free to find out the problem?...

gdoh 05-13-2010 11:44 AM

y dont you try your oem dealer??

Phil@rise 05-14-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSims (Post 6950484)
Anyone have any trust worthy places in south burnaby i can bring it?... and would it be free to find out the problem?...

I doubt anybody is going to diagnose your problem for free. Unless you accept the estimate and get them to follow up with the repair.
We aren't in south Burnaby but we aren't that much further over the bridge and we will gladly give you a free diagnose followed by repair. If you need a tow that can be arranged as well.
As Akira stated the first place we would look is the starter motor and related connections. One thing you can look at easily is your battery terminals. Are they tight, clean and uncracked?

JSims 05-14-2010 08:56 PM

The problem also is.. i got a second kid on the way and really really hoping this aint goin to cost much... what you think is the highest i would be having to pay?..

lexluthor09 05-14-2010 10:49 PM

if people dont know what the problem is (internet diag is really really crappy) then they can't really give you an estimate on what the highest you'd pay.

JSims 05-24-2010 02:34 AM

it usually only happins when im on a hill..... could it be some kind of fluids being low?... sorry havent gotten it checked yet... i work graveyards/full time dad during the day...

Klobbersaurus 05-24-2010 06:35 PM

nothing wrong with your throttle body or anything? weird that your car can rev up to 5k with your throttle body closed

Phil@rise 05-25-2010 03:10 PM

One million dollars.

Seriously it needs to be looked at to determine how much its gonna cost. Diagnostic and repair time is charged by the hour. At our shop if the repairs are followed through with we reduce or sometimes eliminate the diagnostic charge.

JSims 08-14-2010 01:50 PM

sorry haven't been on in a while.. but the problem was just my starter and my battery was also dead. it rev'ed to 4k cause my CPU was getting confused and pumping more air in the engine when it wouldn't turn over. would have cost me $500 to replace but went to Ralph's in surrey and got a new starter for 90 bucks ... and installed myself.. yay me.. thanks everyone for the help and sorry for all the Newb questions I'm still new at this and trying to learn.