REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   icbc claim Q (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614696-icbc-claim-q.html)

03c0upe 05-14-2010 09:49 AM

icbc claim Q

I got into an car accident few months back, adjuster lowballed and offered 4gs and says thats fair. I told her i dont think thats a fair settlement. She reply's and asks what you think is fair. So i told her im not experienced to know whats a good settlement maybe ill ask a lawyer. Obviously she doesn't want me to get a lawyer and says lawyers take years to settle and can take up to 30% of your money.

So can i call attorney offices and ask them over the phone since they offer free consultations? Or Should i just counter with a really high settlement? Or bluff and say this is what a lawyer said i should be getting?

Uncle Benz 05-14-2010 10:13 AM

I have a bit of personal injury law practice experience, and I can tell you a lawyer will not be able to tell you "this is what you should be getting" over a phone call. If a lawyer is telling you a number over the phone, I wouldn't go there.

Every case is different, everyone's circumstances are different, and injuries affect every ones bodies in different ways, and the nature of your work, school, along with your age and sex plays a factor.

Keep in mind the Adjuster's job is to pay out as little as possible and settle as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next file.

Generally lawyers are worth the 30% more they take, because they can usually get you much more than the initial offer. The years to settle bit is also correct, but that's just because it's a work in progress to build up the file so that it can be settled for a fair amount with everything factored into it.

Since many lawyers offer free consultations, I'd suggest you go in and talk to them in person.

Good Luck

fishing666 05-14-2010 11:02 AM

what injuries and what car?

03c0upe 05-14-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Benz (Post 6951722)
I have a bit of personal injury law practice experience, and I can tell you a lawyer will not be able to tell you "this is what you should be getting" over a phone call. If a lawyer is telling you a number over the phone, I wouldn't go there.

Every case is different, everyone's circumstances are different, and injuries affect every ones bodies in different ways, and the nature of your work, school, along with your age and sex plays a factor.

Keep in mind the Adjuster's job is to pay out as little as possible and settle as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next file.

Generally lawyers are worth the 30% more they take, because they can usually get you much more than the initial offer. The years to settle bit is also correct, but that's just because it's a work in progress to build up the file so that it can be settled for a fair amount with everything factored into it.

Since many lawyers offer free consultations, I'd suggest you go in and talk to them in person.

Good Luck

would it be wise to say to my adjuster that i want um lets say 15grand. If i say something like that can it hurt my case in anyway if i get a lawyer or not

FerrariEnzo 05-14-2010 12:30 PM

do you have pics of the damage?

maybe an autobody expert on here may have some insight..

Nssan 05-14-2010 12:37 PM

You need to tell us what is the claim?

Property or Injury

I think property are pretty clear cut. They usually will take the market value, unless there are some substantial upgrades that you can proof.

Injury

Then, that is more complicated like someone said... so what is it?

illicitstylz 05-14-2010 12:54 PM

I'm in the same situation, does anyone have recommendations for personal injury lawyers that have free consultations?

And are these free consultations really catch-free?
Posted via RS Mobile

Uncle Benz 05-14-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 6951831)
would it be wise to say to my adjuster that i want um lets say 15grand. If i say something like that can it hurt my case in anyway if i get a lawyer or not

You can say whatever number you want to your adjuster, but what it comes down to is the justification of the number.

If you do wish to get a lawyer down the road I would suggest you get one earlier then later, and let them handle it, and not suggest random numbers to the adjuster. It could potentially hurt your case down the road, and made work difficult for the lawyer.

Mancini 05-15-2010 10:50 AM

"You're offer isn't fair and I don't know what's fair." lol

racerman88 05-15-2010 10:55 AM

if it is a personal injury, do not settle. Be patient because injuries take a while to heal.
As for your car, do your research and look up ads for your car to get an equivalent value.

03c0upe 05-18-2010 05:23 PM

ahh just gonna get a lawyer, i thought i would give adjuster a chance trying to settle without lawyer. I said no to her initial offer, and i dont want to hurt my case by countering too high knowing i wont get that amount without lawyer.

jlenko 05-19-2010 12:14 AM

If you're in this strictly for the money... I have no comment.

As someone who's been through the whole injury thing.. if you don't heal properly, NO AMOUNT OF MONEY will make your life better. I walked away with $25k years ago, but I still hurt. My back has never fully healed. I would gladly give back every cent, just to be able to lift my daughter up and not wince in pain.

You could make it a million bucks... if you're still in pain when it's over... you won't give a shit about the $$$. Trust me.

If you aren't fully healed yet... "plateaued" as my doctor put it... don't even THINK about settling. Trust me.. I've been there.

Mugen EvOlutioN 05-19-2010 07:11 AM

^

true that, my friend has been in a car accident for 2 years, she seen numerous doc, and it seems no one can heal her properly. Now she is living in miserable, taking pain killers daily-bi-daily :(

humans are fragile.