REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Boxster Calipers (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614770-boxster-calipers.html)

roastpuff 05-15-2010 06:39 AM

Boxster Calipers

Hi guys, looking for a pair of Boxster/Cayman non-S calipers for a brake upgrade on my GTI, so I was wondering if I can get help finding them? Ebay is mostly a full set of front/rear for used ones, and the new ones are rather expensive at $400 a pop. 6speedonline doesn't have much, and I've searched Renntech for a bit.

Thanks a bunch!

bcrdukes 05-15-2010 10:09 AM

You won't find much on Renntech. It is a forum plastered with overpriced P-cars and parts, listed specifically to target newbs and parts hoarding freaks.

Try joining the Pelican Parts Technical BBS for a more comprehensive listing. You may have a bigger chance of finding what you're looking. I have found that most people on the forum are very helpful and knowledgeable. Your other options are to check out the various local PCA clubs. You can start with the PCA Canada West Chapter and go from there. I get the impression that you are looking for a new set of calipers, which may cost a pretty penny, however, you should aim for a good set of used calipers, hopefully rebuilt or with minimal use. If you want to hunt for a good deal close to home, give the guys at Chris' German Auto a call. I've dealt with them before and they are a super awesome bunch of people. Chris, the owner, is a VERY helpful guy. Another reliable source would be John Walker's Workshop also based out of Seattle. Locally, you can try Pacific Western Performance. (I've never dealt with them but they are a local PCA sponsor.) Ask these shops if they have any spare calipers for sale because often, customers will come in for a caliper upgrade or whatnot and sell their stock calipers to the shop. Good luck! :)

roastpuff 05-15-2010 09:49 PM

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was looking for a new set of calipers only; I'm open to both new and used as long as they are in good condition and of reasonable price. Thanks for the leads, I'll be following them up!

I got a reply from Renntech; $125/caliper for a pair pulled off a 58k 2001 Boxster. What do you think?

Cosmetics don't matter that much to me, as I'd likely repaint or powdercoat them to match the GTI's red rear calipers.

bcrdukes 05-15-2010 10:18 PM

^
Gotcha. I wasn't sure whether or not you wanted new or used calipers.

$125/caliper with 58,000KM or Miles? If in miles, see if they've been rebuilt. If not, lowball a bit.

Shop around with the places I mentioned first to get an idea of what the going rate is. Also, post on the Pelican Parts forum and ask what market rates are and also what the service lifespan of the calipers are before biting on them. Good luck! :)

XtC-604 05-17-2010 12:58 PM

so cheap man! freaken brake upgrades for hondas cost like a fortune.

roastpuff 06-01-2010 03:10 PM

Change of plans...

I found a set of four Q7 calipers on the Used Wheel/Tire forum here...

So going for this: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4537

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_6442.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_6443.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_6444.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_6445.jpg

MERXUS 06-18-2010 04:53 PM

boxster stock calipers are brembos-- they are actually quite amazing! get those if you get a chance

roastpuff 06-20-2010 02:15 PM

Way to not read the thread man... I posted that I was having trouble finding the Boxster calipers and ended up with Q7/Cayenne calipers.

I know they're Brembos and that they're great, but they're not that easy to get ahold of.

I got 4 Cayenne calipers for the price I would've paid for 2 Boxster calipers in similar condition. They're also Brembos. They're six-piston fronts instead of four, and four piston rear instead of two. And they clamp a much bigger disc all around.

bcrdukes 06-22-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 6973864)
Change of plans...

I found a set of four Q7 calipers on the Used Wheel/Tire forum here...

:confused:

So...just to clarify. Did you get Audi Q7 or Porsche Cayanne calipers?

XtC-604 06-23-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MERXUS (Post 6997181)
boxster stock calipers are brembos-- they are actually quite amazing! get those if you get a chance

cause the Q7 and Cayenne ones are 6 pot where as the boxsters are 4 pot. In addition, your pads matter more, the amount of pistons 6vs4 isn't the biggest difference in stopping power as you're still using the same brake master cylinder and the same proportioning valves. The real benefit is pad sizing, and rotor sizing and of course brake caliper solidity, brake pedal feel and modulation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7001960)

so just to clarify, if you haven't realized yet... Audi, VW and Porsche are the same company, and to dumb it down further its the same part.

bcrdukes 06-23-2010 12:41 AM

Look, I realize that VAG/Porsche is part of the same company but was not aware that the two vehicles shared the same exact part so thanks for the clarification.

roastpuff 06-24-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7001960)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7002226)
Look, I realize that VAG/Porsche is part of the same company but was not aware that the two vehicles shared the same exact part so thanks for the clarification.

I got the calipers off a Q7, though I refer to it interchangeably as Cayenne/Q7 calipers as they are the same thing barring coloring. They're based off the same chassis, so there are quite a few parts that are interchangeable. It was pretty much the same price as a Boxster caliper set with pads in good condition so I figured might as well...

Sorry for the confusion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 7002203)
cause the Q7 and Cayenne ones are 6 pot where as the boxsters are 4 pot. In addition, your pads matter more, the amount of pistons 6vs4 isn't the biggest difference in stopping power as you're still using the same brake master cylinder and the same proportioning valves. The real benefit is pad sizing, and rotor sizing and of course brake caliper solidity, brake pedal feel and modulation.

Yup, I figured that the stopping power won't be all that different between the two, but the increased rotor size and increased pad size will definitely have an effect. What I have heard, is that the progressive calipers (either Boxster or Cayenne) provides much better feedback and less jerky brake engagement compared to the stock GTI brakes. The larger rotor size and increased bling factor is merely a plus. :thumbsup:

Plus, I want to track my car, so the hugely increased rotor size will help me with heat dissipation and avoiding fade. Pad choice is more limited on the Cayenne calipers though, compared to the Boxster's. I'm pretty much limited to either Hawk HPS/Blue/DTC, EBC Redstuff/Yellowstuff, and Carbotech's offerings. Pagid has the RS29, but that's much too aggressive for me.

XtC-604 06-25-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7004533)
Yup, I figured that the stopping power won't be all that different between the two, but the increased rotor size and increased pad size will definitely have an effect. What I have heard, is that the progressive calipers (either Boxster or Cayenne) provides much better feedback and less jerky brake engagement compared to the stock GTI brakes. The larger rotor size and increased bling factor is merely a plus. :thumbsup:

Plus, I want to track my car, so the hugely increased rotor size will help me with heat dissipation and avoiding fade. Pad choice is more limited on the Cayenne calipers though, compared to the Boxster's. I'm pretty much limited to either Hawk HPS/Blue/DTC, EBC Redstuff/Yellowstuff, and Carbotech's offerings. Pagid has the RS29, but that's much too aggressive for me.

Actually 99.9% of all multi piston setups are progressive, and it needs to be, to even pad wear. The better feedback that you'll feel is due to the solidity of the caliper itself, cause stock GTI calipers are floating design. Less jerky engagement is because more fluid is required to actuate all the extra pistons in your new setup. Make sure you do your stainless steel lines while you're at it. As i recently did my BBK upgrade.

roastpuff 06-25-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 7004910)
Actually 99.9% of all multi piston setups are progressive, and it needs to be, to even pad wear. The better feedback that you'll feel is due to the solidity of the caliper itself, cause stock GTI calipers are floating design. Less jerky engagement is because more fluid is required to actuate all the extra pistons in your new setup. Make sure you do your stainless steel lines while you're at it. As i recently did my BBK upgrade.

I see - thanks for the explanation on that. I remember that some older Porsche calipers weren't progressive four-pistons? I might be wrong though.

Yup, got my stainless lines from USP Motorsports for a hell of a steal for four!

Are you the guy who did his Boxster calipers on GolfMKV? Tooly?

XtC-604 06-25-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7005102)
I see - thanks for the explanation on that. I remember that some older Porsche calipers weren't progressive four-pistons? I might be wrong though.

Yup, got my stainless lines from USP Motorsports for a hell of a steal for four!

Are you the guy who did his Boxster calipers on GolfMKV? Tooly?

No i drive an S2000, recently did the upgrade with spoon monoblocks

roastpuff 06-26-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 7005238)
No i drive an S2000, recently did the upgrade with spoon monoblocks

Cool - just the calipers or did the rotors get a size upgrade too?

XtC-604 06-26-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7006240)
Cool - just the calipers or did the rotors get a size upgrade too?

just calipers, lines and fluid, cause i need a caliper relocation kit.

roastpuff 07-21-2010 07:35 PM

This is what I'm doing today :D :

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_8010.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_8011.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...f/IMG_8015.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/...IMG_8016-2.jpg

SumAznGuy 07-21-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7004533)
Yup, I figured that the stopping power won't be all that different between the two, but the increased rotor size and increased pad size will definitely have an effect.
Plus, I want to track my car, so the hugely increased rotor size will help me with heat dissipation and avoiding fade.

Did you upgrade your brake master cylinder? If the answer is no, then you need to double check to make sure there is enough fluid being moved to properly work the new calipers.

Also, in reality, the bigger rotors doesn't help that much with heat dissipation. You need enough air to help cool the rotors. Depending on the tires you plan on running, brake ducting might be a good idea, especially if you are going to be running at Mission or other brake intensive tracks that don't have enough straight aways for the brakes to cool.

roastpuff 07-21-2010 10:35 PM

I've talked to other forum members who are running upgraded brakes on their GTIs, and the consensus is that the master cylinder of the GTI is capable enough to drive the Cayenne brakes to pretty much their full potential. Apparently the ABS system's proportioning valve is self-adjusting, and will make sure there is enough pressure in the system to move the brakes, and is so in control that the master cylinder doesn't really play a huge role in this.

I doubt I'll be running R-compound tires, but I'm definitely looking into some sort of brake ducting/open fog grille modification if I track more often/more aggressively. The sheer increase in rotor mass/size would help increase the heat capacity compared to stock, I think. And of course, appropriate pads that can handle the heat - either EBC Red/Yellow, Hawk HP+/Blue or Carbotechs.

Rich Sandor 07-22-2010 11:45 PM

Those brakes are glorious, although serious overkill for that car and a novice driver. The secret is actually racing brake fluid and track pads. Invest in some Motul RBF600. Take it from someone who knows.

Another common mistake is to mount the calipers upside down. It's not enough to make sure the bleeder screws are pointed up. You also must ensure that the arrows cast into the calipers are pointing the same direction as the rotors are turning. If not, you must swap the bleeder screws and crossover pipe on the caliper.

roastpuff 07-23-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7039843)
Those brakes are glorious, although serious overkill for that car and a novice driver. The secret is actually racing brake fluid and track pads. Invest in some Motul RBF600. Take it from someone who knows.

Another common mistake is to mount the calipers upside down. It's not enough to make sure the bleeder screws are pointed up. You also must ensure that the arrows cast into the calipers are pointing the same direction as the rotors are turning. If not, you must swap the bleeder screws and crossover pipe on the caliper.

Overkill? There's no such thing as overkill. :rofl: I know they're a lot of brake (too much) for the car, but the price that I got for all 4 calipers were so cheap it was hard to pass up on them. If/when I get into serious tracking, I will swap the pads to the Carbotech XP-series which are dedicated track pads, as well as having dedicated track rotors to go with the pads. Fluid will be changed as well, to the Motul RBF. Right now, still going to use the Pentosin/VAG OEM fluid, as it's dry/wet rating is almost the same as ATE Super Blue and good enough for now.

Plus, it's just more confidence inspiring to have such massive brakes to rely on.

Yup, I've got the arrows pointing in the right direction as the mounting directions have not changed for any of the calipers, so they're in the same location as they would be in the Cayenne. No crossover/bleeder swapping required for the GTI application. I think this issue plagued mostly the A4/A3 crew with their AWD driveshafts requiring them to change how they were mounted.