REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Sticking throttle body (https://www.revscene.net/forums/615366-sticking-throttle-body.html)

kookoobird88 05-21-2010 07:27 PM

Sticking throttle body

Ok so not to long ago, I was driving home, and I was doing a little rip up to 5-6grand. Anyways when I was slowing It seemed the car wasn't stopping, it was actaully accelerating. So in that case I put it into neutral and the rpms jumped 5000 when they normally sit at about 800 on my car. So I pull over turn off the car, then try turning it back on and the rpms jump back up to 5grand. Then I tapped the gas about a dozen taps it finally went down. So I'm thinking here that the throttle body was stuck? but my question is why? and is there anything I can adjust to prevent this from happening again. I think this has happened before when Ive reved it high but never gotten stuck. (Ive shifted at 5k and sometimes it seems like the gas is still being held when shifting into a higher gear and gives the sound of a unsmooth shift)
I have a Blox polished billet 66mm TB

Thanks

TheSalesman 05-22-2010 09:17 AM

thats what happens on these aftermarket throttle bodies. I had a skunk2 70mm and it sticks and stayed at about 2000rpm. I just blip the throttle a couple times to get it back down to idle. The blox one you have seems to be quite a bit worse though. Try using an extra spring or adjust the throttle cable.

Hyper_night 05-22-2010 10:37 PM

i had a edelbrock 65mm throttle body with edelbrock intake manifold and i never had any problems with sticking throttle. if you plan to change throttle body, go edelbrock! make sure your throttle cable is not jamming up,then take a few minutes to clean your throttle body

kookoobird88 05-23-2010 03:11 PM

well, the throttle body is fairly new, maybe 2-3 months old. Ya it seems that its getting stuck at higher rpms, I'd say around the 5000+ range. I heard something about loosening the butterfly valve but I'm not sure how to go about doing it, and if it really works or not. And is there a good way I can test to see if the cable is getting stuck? Do I just have the car on and rev it high and see if it sticks?

Thanks for the help so far:)

shenmecar 05-23-2010 03:51 PM

i thought only recent toyotas had unwanted accelerating problems. =P

but seriously i think the shop you got it installed at will be able to adjust the cable?

Akira@Rise 06-03-2010 10:37 AM

I would check on the cable than TB. take the cable out from TB and hold it and get your friend to step on the pedal to see how smooth it is, you may want to lube the cable as well.
good luck.