REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   full coilover vs. struts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/615568-full-coilover-vs-struts.html)

samo 05-24-2010 05:21 PM

full coilover vs. struts

hi,
i recently bought a used car that has been lowered and the struts seem quite old so i have a pretty bumpy ride. i'm looking into getting some koni struts to get a smoother ride but since my car has a macpherson strut system, would i benefit more from coilovers? the koni struts are roughly 700$ and the fullcoilover system from tien is around 1000$, is it worth it to get coilovers vs. struts if my only purpose is to absorb shock?

Leopold Stotch 05-24-2010 05:55 PM

for the price you can't compare $700 koni shocks with $1000 coil overs,

the coilovers' dampers won't be anywhere close to the quality of the konis

do you like how low the car is though, or do you like the springs you have in the car?
cause if you want to keep the springs, i'd just go with the koni shocks, that's what i'll ultimately do with my car.

shenmecar 05-24-2010 06:27 PM

Koni are pretty good shocks, they will be better than coilovers.

Only get coilovers if you plan on tracking the car, IE, constantly raising/lowering the car.

Shocks and springs combo is less troublesome.

!Yaminashi 05-24-2010 08:13 PM

Since you have options, go with the konis

samo 05-25-2010 02:49 AM

hmm yeah the springs i have arent bad. i guess i'll go with the konis
thanks guys for ur help, i'll prolly be puttin an order for them this week!
cheers

tofu1413 05-25-2010 08:11 PM

yea, for the daily grind all you really need are a quality set of struts. Konis are great. +1 to Konis. Koni yellows would have adjustable shock dampening, so your car can be soft when you drive your hot date or you can firm it up for mountain roads during the weekend.

JordanLee 05-26-2010 01:55 PM

Run a Koni Yellow set up with a quality sleeve over like a ground control set up since they use Eibach springs and youre set. Custom spring rates (and height adjustment) + adjustable dampening is so win. I paid like 900 all in from a shop in the US for this set up rated at 400 and 450 lbs/ft and I've heard its a way better way to go then with Tein Basic/SS or crappy no name coilover set up.

Marioo1991 05-26-2010 01:59 PM

I've had both in my cars, and I would go with shocks/springs unless you plan on taking your car to the track.. its useful if you take it to the track and can adjust the height/dampening...

You can usually get a good spring/shock combo for less than what full coilovers will cost.. I sold my Teins for $800, I'm sure you can get some second hand shocks/springs for a lot less than that...

bcrdukes 05-26-2010 05:22 PM

^
For $800, I'd much rather get a Koni Yellow setup. :p :D

Marioo1991 05-26-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6966573)
^
For $800, I'd much rather get a Koni Yellow setup. :p :D

me too :D