REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   S13 1991 240SX Specific Problems (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616147-s13-1991-240sx-specific-problems.html)

FN-2199 05-30-2010 10:20 PM

S13 1991 240SX Specific Problems

So, I've been planning on trading for a 1991 240SX SE.
Aside from usual problems to look out for regarding any used car, to any Nissan owners, are there any specific problems with this model that I should look out for?
I've searched around and found a few which include:
  • Avoiding HICAS models, if possible
  • Looking for a S13 with a vicious rear differential (To open up possibilities of easily upgrading the differential in the future without changing pumpkins and shafts)

Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

jing 05-30-2010 10:33 PM

- windshield mouldings (whistling at high speeds cuz it doesn't seal properly)
- strut tower rust
- wiper arm pivot bushing (when they go bad, the wiper arm doesn't have enough pressure to wipe the windshield)

It's commonly said that all Canadian 240s from 91+ had the VLSD so you shouldn't have to worry about that. To check, the diff cover differs between a VLSD and an open diff. I can't remember exactly what it was that was different.

dinamix 05-30-2010 10:34 PM

check for rust on the hatch and and under the doors

check for brake, clutch master and slave cylinder leakage. pretty common on the ones ive owned

Qmx323 05-31-2010 01:09 AM

check if chain tensioner has been replaced/removed

and prepare to pay 30% more for used parts because its "mad tyte Dr!FT JDM y0!"

satek 05-31-2010 01:49 AM

Make sure the driver and passenger seat pans aren't rusting...240s never came with any undercoating. After 20 years of Canadian winters it's not pretty. Check the frame for any dents from people lifting it wrong. The rear subframe bushings are usually pretty bad to, it will make a loud clunks while driving over bumps. As the others have mentioned look for strut tower rust and hatches with spoilers. I took the spoiler off my car and found a tennis ball sized hole under it.

FN-2199 05-31-2010 11:10 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll be taking a look at it on Wednesday. I hope it's a decent ride. It's about time I get rid of my sol.
Posted via RS Mobile

FN-2199 06-01-2010 10:02 PM

Took a look at it yesterday, and was very surprised.

The body had minor rust located on the trunk, under the spoiler.
Strut towers looked great, and the underside was rust-free.

Everything, including the engine bay looked great, until I took a look at the interior.
Pretty horrible if I must say. Dog hair everywhere, tears in the fabric, and the driver side seat reclines halfway, refusing to go up at all.

He wants to do a 1-for-1 trade for my sol, but I don't think I can do it, considering the work I would have to do to the horrid interior.

koukimonst3r 06-16-2010 12:04 PM

Rust under the spoiler is pretty common, replace the driver seat and besides it really is more of like a 2 seater. Gut the rear and you'll be fine :thumbsup: