REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Illegal HID kits (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616677-illegal-hid-kits.html)

Jgresch 06-07-2010 06:09 PM

sorry, but your points are far from accurate.

Any vehicles lights, if viewed from the right angle will seem blinding. think about high beams, they aren't brighter bulbs, just angled up...

Wiring... are you fucking kidding lol.... so some kid decides to DIY and messes up one ballast... big deal, light is out for a couple nights. DO you knwo how many people drive with burnt out lights?

and why bother? well most people will say that they live in a dark area. I'm sure lots of people do it for looks though, but honestly it makes a huge difference for visibility.

Jgresch 06-07-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 6981851)
I suppose it depends on what your version of "better" is. If you like an ultra bright puddle of white light 10 feet in front of your car, then be my guest :)

you're right, hids only provide light 10 ft away... sorry.

shenmecar 06-07-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6980127)
I used to see one or two driving home at night from work... now it's 15-20 every night. I'm pissed off to the point that I'm seriously considering carrying my 1,000,000 candlepower beam and shooting the drivers in the face with it..

But I still don't think they'd get it.. so what's the point.

1mill is not enough. =P

Great68 06-07-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6981767)
I have "illegal" hids.... they are in projector headlights, and aimed accordingly. Why am I any differen't from cars that came with HIDs from the factory?

Factory HID & housings are DOT approved. Meaning they meet an established specification for light output. If it's not DOT approved, there's no guarantee you meet that spec, regardless of if you THINK they're better than OEM or not.

That being said, I freaking love the stock HID's on my Mazda.

Jgresch 06-07-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 6981930)
Factory HID & housings are DOT approved. Meaning they meet an established specification for light output. If it's not DOT approved, there's no guarantee you meet that spec, regardless of if you THINK they're better than OEM or not.

That being said, I freaking love the stock HID's on my Mazda.

There, that was what I was looking for. Thanks :)

It's not that I think they are better, it's obvious that they are brighter than my old halogens.

Szeto 06-07-2010 07:33 PM

hm... i guess the retrofit fx-r projectors bi-xenon I am getting for my 2010 altima won't have autolevel nor manual level... :( should i still go ahead with it???

CRS 06-07-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604otezs (Post 6981976)
hm... i guess the retrofit fx-r projectors bi-xenon I am getting for my 2010 altima won't have autolevel nor manual level... :( should i still go ahead with it???

I'm a little confused with your post.

Does you car come with OEM projectors or are you getting projectors to retrofit?

Szeto 06-07-2010 09:27 PM

well, on the 3.5 SR coupe it's standard, the installer guy I am using is doing a retrofit for me

zulutango 06-08-2010 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604otezs (Post 6981976)

Unless the system you are installing is a full factory system that was offered by the manufacturer for that exact make & model vehicle it is not legal, nor can there be any guarantee that it is safe for you or other road users. If the factory system comes with auto level then you would need that installed as the lights are so bright that they need to be re-aimed. My own car has factory HIDs and it comes with auto level and headlight washer as part of ther factory setup. Each time someone gets in or out of the car, or adds or removes stuff from the trunk, they move up or down.

dinamix 06-08-2010 07:15 AM

rat

Szeto 06-08-2010 08:16 AM

that's hurting man ... :(

Great68 06-08-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604otezs (Post 6982621)
that's hurting man ... :(

Is "Exact model" inclusive of engine size?
I am willing to bet that if you do a proper retrofit of the 3.5SR headlamp system onto your 2.5S, no-one would be the wiser. It would look exactly like a stock factory setup.

zulutango 06-08-2010 12:08 PM

And if he installed the complete factory system with all the original bits & pieces like the levelling system, he would have a safe system and not have to worry about anybody being the wiser. If the factory will OK it as an option there will be no problem.

whitescirocco 06-08-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6981854)
sorry, but your points are far from accurate.

Any vehicles lights, if viewed from the right angle will seem blinding. think about high beams, they aren't brighter bulbs, just angled up...

That is incorrect, on some vehicles that take a H4 Bulb the high beam is acually 5W brighter then the low beam!

Jgresch 06-08-2010 12:42 PM

^ lol okay....i stand corrected.

c32 06-08-2010 12:45 PM

i think we should mainly target the vans/suvs/trucks with hids which would mostly blind the sht outa ppl where as sedans and smaller cars dont do as much harm

whitescirocco 06-08-2010 01:00 PM

My HID Story:

1990 Passat
Lights: Hella Ecode (European)
Bulbs: Bosch H3 (4500K) / H3 Piaa (High Beam)
OEM manual leveling system

Got pulled over at a road block for being to low at " Driving Height ", I asked the officer about my headlights. He said that its a grey area! Technically they are illegal since they are not a OEM option (not in 1990 lol) but he checked them over and said that they look to be "fine" After putting the car up to a proper ride height we pulled up to a wall and he checked to see if there aimed correct and that there wasn't any scattered light. He was impressed with the setup and said he wouldn't question the car's lighting personally.

Goes to show if its done right you won't have any issues with police. If done wrong they are blinding and illegal.

whitescirocco 06-08-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phucmang (Post 6982951)
i think we should mainly target the vans/suvs/trucks with hids which would mostly blind the sht outa ppl where as sedans and smaller cars dont do as much harm

I agree but them the public who are in those vehicles will feel targeted..... its a tough call!

Great68 06-08-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6982915)
And if he installed the complete factory system with all the original bits & pieces like the levelling system,

That's what I meant by a proper retrofit.

In his case with the Altima, I don't think there's any good reason that Nissan won't offer factory HID's on his 4 banger other than for making the V6 model more exclusive (and soaking more money from people who want that option).

Szeto 06-08-2010 10:24 PM

that's exactly it... factory HID is only available on the 3.5 SR coupe, when you load it up with other options I might as well just buy a Maxima ....

I noticed some spec sheet will actually say self-leveling HID but for the Altima it didn't mention anything about that. Either way, I am going to stick to stock lights for a while until I get blinded several times hah ...

jlenko 06-08-2010 10:59 PM

Even illegal projector retrofit kits are better than the idiots who stuff an HID bulb into a regular (stock) reflector housing. Those are the people who need their car towed.

I noticed a motorcycle tonight with an HID bulb on the way home... crazy bright... I can still see the green spot burned into my retina. At least it was only one headlight... sigh..

yvrnycracer 06-09-2010 11:15 AM

all I have to say is this...

Instead of stepping up enforcement on "exhaust noise" over the summer... they should step up enforcement on Illegal HID kits/retrofits... WAY more important than trying to claim one can actually test a DB level in the middle of a downtown street during rush hour... :D

Jgresch 06-09-2010 11:17 AM

Are the new buses equipped with hids? Or just whiter bulbs>

Gh0stRider 06-09-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6984373)
Are the new buses equipped with hids? Or just whiter bulbs>

they seem like hids

jpark 06-09-2010 03:11 PM

yea the new buses are hid's 4300k.. i gotta do my es350 retrofit quick, my stock projectors arent doing its job, i want extreme cut off not 'some what' cut off