REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Turn signal flashing more rapidly than normal (yes, light bulb HAS been replaced) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616823-turn-signal-flashing-more-rapidly-than-normal-yes-light-bulb-has-been-replaced.html)

The_AK 06-07-2010 04:58 PM

Turn signal flashing more rapidly than normal (yes, light bulb HAS been replaced)

So a week ago the rear-right turn signal indicator light in my dad's pathfinder started to blink more rapidly than normal. This is only when he turns on the right signal and not when hazard lights are flashing. The right indicator light in the in-dash gauge set flashes rapidly as well. Also, the front signal hasn't been effected in any way. The bulb has been replaced so that can't be the problem.

Anyone encounter the same problem before?

Tegra_Devil 06-07-2010 05:19 PM

did you replace the bulbs together?...if you only replace 1 at a time...it sometimes causes different flash speeds

usually if there is another bulb that is on its way out...it will tend to blink fast as it has a lighter load than a light that is new.
or you might have a faulty flasher module...

if all else fails...

maybe you need to top up your headlight fluid

blackGS? 06-07-2010 07:53 PM

This may seem dumb, but you may have the wrong bulb?

Keep it simple

maxx 06-07-2010 08:05 PM

rusty connectors?

satek 06-07-2010 08:08 PM

Did you swap to an LED blub? The LED lights don't need as much current as the traditional light bulbs.

Raid3n 06-07-2010 08:17 PM

you may also want to consider that the problem may be with the flasher module, not necessarily the bulb(s)

godwin 06-07-2010 08:33 PM

Usually quick blinking means there is not enough load on the relay. Do some simple electric diagnostic.. trace the wires to see if there are any frayed or damage or shorts. or swap the bulbs, left to right to see if the problem migrates.. if so can be your relay.

Assuming your car is old enough to have relays for lights.

The_AK 06-07-2010 08:39 PM

yea my dad thought it might be the relay, was looking for other ideas before resulting to replacing that, thanks for the responses

jpark 06-07-2010 08:57 PM

arghhh i hate light bulb problems, its the most that makes me mad, smallest and cheapest thing but pisses me off once it goes wrong lol.. but yea like someone said above i have a feeling its the wrong bulb

Berzerker 06-07-2010 09:00 PM

I was going to say make sure the light you put in is the same impedence as the one you took out. Like mentioned if its newer and has less resistance it causes the system to think its malfunctioning that's why LED ones usually cause a rapid flash pattern. Perhaps change all the bulbs on the side and see if that fixes it or try another bulb in the same socket.

Berz out.

The_AK 06-07-2010 09:55 PM

i tried swapping the left and right bulbs, same thing, right bulb is still flashing violently

Qmx323 06-08-2010 01:04 AM

mine was a rusted ground wire going from the bulb socket to the signal enclosure itself.

FN-2199 06-08-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6982110)
I was going to say make sure the light you put in is the same impedence as the one you took out. Like mentioned if its newer and has less resistance it causes the system to think its malfunctioning that's why LED ones usually cause a rapid flash pattern. Perhaps change all the bulbs on the side and see if that fixes it or try another bulb in the same socket.

Berz out.

+1 :thumbsup:

Try that out. Happened to me before, and I realized I had a bulb with lower resistance than the previous bulb.