REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   7.1km / L in 93 integra gs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/616858-7-1km-l-93-integra-gs.html)

smoothie. 06-07-2010 10:34 PM

7.1km / L in 93 integra gs

Hi guys,

I have a hard time believing that this is normal for an integra... whats the things I should get the gf to check out on her new car?

its auto, and has the B18A1, with about 250k kms.

Berzerker 06-07-2010 10:35 PM

LOL that's really low check the O2 sensor that is usually the cause of really bad mileage also a plugged CAT could cause bad mileage and loss of power too.

Also some things to do to a new car just for peace of mind are:

Oil Change (who knows when the last one was even if they claim they had one recently better to do one and know for sure)
Plugs (again who knows when they were changed and its fairly cheap to get new ones)
You could get a new fuel filter and plug wires
Also the condition of the CAT would be something to inspect as well if your mechanically inclined.

Berz out.

smoothie. 06-07-2010 10:45 PM

shouldn't a bork 02 sensor cause cel?

I'm pretty sure its the original cat as well.

will be doing the dist cap and rotor soon, but theres oil seeping from the dist itself...

plugs for sure are old, and wires may be?

I've heard egr valve can cause a big drop as well, how can i check if its any good?

Berzerker 06-07-2010 11:41 PM

No if the O2 isn't working well it won't necessarily throw a code but will drastically affect fuel economy. Did this car pass aircare recently? If there is oil inside the cap that's a bad thing lol but if it's just leaking where it goes into the block then it needs a new seal.

Does it have a rough idle or drive funny at all? A faulty EGR would show symptoms other than just bad fuel economy.

Berz out.

smoothie. 06-08-2010 12:42 AM

my friend said the timing was off a tooth, and advanced it as much as possible to get it close - the engines responsive now, but it eats a shitload of gas still. heavy ticking noise from the engine, and previous owner said a lot of valve adj's were made.

Berzerker 06-08-2010 12:54 AM

Wow well off a tooth is pretty serious and close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Seems like you should be giving the whole motor the once over and making sure everything is ok.

Berz out.

smoothie. 06-08-2010 02:04 AM

the goal for this car is to have it running as best it can without tearing it apart and fixing everything...very limited budget.

whats the first thing we should check?

fuel filter? o2? cat?

Uncle Benz 06-08-2010 04:00 AM

Wow that's the type of millage my Jeep TJ with the 4.0L used to get on a good day. You may want to check Spark Plugs and wires, Rotor, and Air Filter to name a few things. The wires tend to go bad over time.

smoothie. 06-08-2010 02:12 PM

thanks for all the replies guys, i appreciate it!

after the new full tank, it seems to be using the normal amount of gas, but wont know till its almost done.

i think the city avg for this car is 9-10L / 100km, or is that number off?

YK86 06-08-2010 03:51 PM

Being off a tooth on the cam gear can seriously hurt the engine so I'd get the fixed asap. That would explain multiple valve adjustments not fixing the ticking and poor fuel economy.

Are you mechanically inclined to adjust it yourself? You don't need any fancy tools.

1)Remove spark plugs (makes rotating engine easier)

2)Remove valve cover and top timing belt cover (10mm bolts)

3)Spin crank counter clockwise til cam/crank are at TDC (either 17mm or 19mm bolt for crank).

4)Pop off access cover (about the size of a loonie, below driver's engine mount on the lower timing belt cover)
and loosen the timing belt tensioner roughly 1turn (tensioner bolt is 14mm)

5)create slack by pushing down on t-belt and slip t-belt off cam gears. If you are good, another way is to create enough slack to be able to rotate the 1 cam gear that is off a tooth and slip the belt back on when it is in he proper location.

6)line up cam gears to TDC (there should be 2 lines on each gear at 9 and 3, make sure they are parallel to the cylinder head and also so the 4 lines would form one straight imaginary line. Make sure crank has not moved as well. Slip t-belt back on

7)Spin crank counter clockwise so cam gear moves 3 teeth, now t-belt should be tensioned so tighten tensioner bolt.

8)Pop access plug back in, install timing belt cover, spark plugs, and valve cover.

9)Warm up car and follow proper procedures for checking and adjusting ignition timing

Leopold Stotch 06-09-2010 01:36 AM

wow i'm not sure if i'm right or not, but doesn't the engine go kablewy if the timing is off a tooth?

i remember reading that if you're a tooth off while changing the cams in my 240 the valves are toast.

Mugen EvOlutioN 06-09-2010 11:49 AM

im gona say its the 02 sensor

that is some really bad milleage

YK86 06-09-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 6983977)
wow i'm not sure if i'm right or not, but doesn't the engine go kablewy if the timing is off a tooth?

i remember reading that if you're a tooth off while changing the cams in my 240 the valves are toast.

For most Hondas, being off a tooth isn't detrimental. But it obviously isn't good either.

1990TSI 06-09-2010 08:28 PM

that and a 240sx has a chain, unless motor swapped like an RB20.