REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   [Confidential] Legal Advice: Property Damage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617118-%5Bconfidential%5D-legal-advice-property-damage.html)

El Bastardo 06-10-2010 05:09 PM

[Confidential] Legal Advice: Property Damage

The following is a question from an Anonymous member about a legal issue. If the Anonymous member would like to respond to this thread please feel free to PM me

-invited two people into my condo building's lounge
-some property damage caused by Bob, witnessed by myself and Fred
- got billed about 4 digits worth of repairs (ridiculous), then even more for damage months later based on speculation by building management

what can i do for compensation?
who should i talk to?

Fafine 06-10-2010 05:28 PM

should have security video recording of it right?

CRS 06-10-2010 05:30 PM

1. Should have gotten your own estimates by companies.
2. Completely and utter ridiculous. Unless the management can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was caused by your party, there is no way they can get you to compensate for it.
3. Sue for Bob for number 1 and 2 (should 2 be proven to be true).

orange7 06-10-2010 05:32 PM

well you do know Bob right??

Afterall, you invited him to your party.

Talk to Bob about the compensation.
Get him to pay for a portion (50%?) of it if not all.

Technically speaking, you should be partly responsible for this since you invited him over.

This is just my opinion though.

zulutango 06-10-2010 08:05 PM

A look at your condo regs to see what they say about damage caused by invited guests should straighten things out very quickly. You know who did it and have another witness. As a condo owner, you will be personally on the hook for damages, along with all the other owners, so why not identify the person who did the damages and let them pay up? Why are you protecting the identity of someone who is screwing you over for the cost?

My personal advice, tell the condo council what you know & let them go after Bob...,who obviously doesn't care about you anyway, because he's sticking you with the damage tab. By keeping silent, you are volunteering for the problem. Don't.

El Bastardo 06-11-2010 05:48 AM

The following is a reply from the Anonymous member

i'm on the hook for the damage by condo committee

is there any legal way i can force compensation from Bob, he does not have the money right now, and to be honest not sure if he is the stand up type of guy

what type of lawyer can i talk to?

El Bastardo 06-11-2010 05:48 AM

Civil lawyer. This seems like a civil matter.

CRS 06-11-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 6987246)
Civil lawyer. This seems like a civil matter.

This. Bring it to a small claims court. You can do this yourself or have representation.

If your friend is poor and isn't afraid of going on national television, the judge/court shows on TV will pay out the loss if you appear.

Soundy 06-11-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6987280)
If your friend is poor and isn't afraid of going on national television, the judge/court shows on TV will pay out the loss if you appear.

Do we even have any of these in Canada?

CRS 06-11-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6987302)
Do we even have any of these in Canada?

Believe it or not, a lot of those shows will actually take people from Canada.

I know for certain that Judge Judy does.

Soundy 06-11-2010 07:55 AM

But are any of them close enough TO US to be worth the hassle? It would probably cost the OP more to go to New York or Chicago to do the show than it would to just pay up and be done with it.
'

CRS 06-11-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6987352)
But are any of them close enough TO US to be worth the hassle? It would probably cost the OP more to go to New York or Chicago to do the show than it would to just pay up and be done with it.
'

I could be wrong but I think they will fly you over there (much like the Maury show) or whatever else as long as you are the people participating.

After a quick search:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5116104_judge-judy.html

Quote:

Both parties involved in the case must agree to appear on the show to be accepted. However, Judge Judy not only pays participants for appearing, the show actually covers any judgment awarded. This is appealing to both sides: for one, you are guaranteed to receive money just for making an appearance, and if a judgment is entered, the losing party does not have to cover the costs - the show does it for them.

In addition, both sides receive free airfare and a free hotel room for the duration of filming. There is little-to-no cost for both parties and a profit to be made, so if you are trying to convince the other side to appear on the show, be sure to let them know this.

Soundy 06-11-2010 09:43 AM

Fair enough!

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if I can piss someone off enough to get them to take me to court ;)

I think I'd choose People's Court though, if just for this:

http://www.apbspeakers.com/resources.../LG1001040.jpg

CRS 06-11-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6987464)
Fair enough!

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if I can piss someone off enough to get them to take me to court ;)

I think I'd choose People's Court though, if just for this:

http://www.apbspeakers.com/resources.../LG1001040.jpg

:lol

I was wondering why you were asking such in-depth questions. I knew you secretly wanted to appear as a litigant.

tacobell 06-11-2010 04:19 PM

leave it to revscene to give legal advice.. take em to judge judy. lmao.
It's not bad advice, i just didn't expect someone would be suggesting that.

i can't wait to see you guys on tv

El Bastardo 06-12-2010 11:26 PM

The following is a reply from the Anonymous member

thanks everyone for the advice, i hope there isn't a very limited time for the statue of limitations or w/e it's called

ill consult a civil lawyer, hopefully i have a case