REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Do I have to show ID when on my bicycle? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617318-do-i-have-show-id-when-my-bicycle.html)

dutch 06-12-2010 03:43 PM

Do I have to show ID when on my bicycle?

If I get pulled over by the police on my bicycle, do I have to show ID?

I know I don't have to if I'm just walking the street.

Thanks

BD2002 06-12-2010 03:54 PM

You do not.

What's the applicable difference between walking and biking?

We don't live in a fascist nation.

Berzerker 06-12-2010 04:13 PM

Actually if your riding your bike your subject to the same rules of the road as cars and therefore you can receive tickets for driving infractions ie. no helmet, illegal turns, and other such offenses. If you get pulled over for these you may be required to provide id to receive a ticket. You must under reasonable request provide proof of identity when requested.

Berz out.

dutch 06-12-2010 04:13 PM

Well a bike is somewhere between a car and walking. I understand you have to show your id when in a car, because it requires a license.

But I agree with your point 100%.

If I'm caught not wearing a helmet while riding a bike on a road, do I have to show my id?

If I'm caught jay walking, do I have to show my id?

What if I don't have my ID on me?

CRS 06-12-2010 05:19 PM

Yes you have to show I.D. regardless of if you are walking, biking or driving.

I am not sure where you are hearing this "I don't have to show I.D. thing" but if a cop asks you to show him/her your I.D. you are obligated to show him/her.

If you do not have I.D. on you, you will be arrested until you can prove your identity. This is why people should and need to carry I.D. on them all the time.

dutch 06-12-2010 05:42 PM

CRS: Are you talking about the situation if you've done something wrong?

If you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have to show your id (unless you're driving, not sure about the bike thing). This isn't Arizona/Nazi Germany.

Great68 06-12-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch (Post 6989215)
This isn't Arizona

Actually, in the U.S. (Although I'm not sure if it's state specific though) you don't have to provide ID to police.

In this case in Seattle: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/418746_video.html the dude was charged with obstruction for not providing ID. The charge was later dropped and deemed unconstitutional by a judge.

dutch 06-12-2010 06:10 PM

Not sure if you were agreeing with me or?

But FYI they have a show me your papers law in arizona right now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_...a/10261320.stm

CRS 06-12-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutch (Post 6989215)
CRS: Are you talking about the situation if you've done something wrong?

If you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have to show your id (unless you're driving, not sure about the bike thing). This isn't Arizona/Nazi Germany.

Yes to the first but at the same time, if you are suspected of doing something wrong you have to show ID. I may be wrong on this now that I think about it.

At the same time, my second point about being detained is still true.

zulutango 06-12-2010 07:56 PM

If Police are going to start a legal process with you then your identity must be established. If it can't be established then you can be arrested until identity is established. See section 495 of the criminal code. You didn't tell us the circumstances you are talking about with you and your bicycle so I can't say much more than that. Give some specifics and we may be able to give you more details.

dutch 06-12-2010 07:59 PM

Am I required to carry ID at all times?

Can I verbally identify myself?

Edit: There is no situation, I'm just wondering about bikes, because they are somewhere between a motor vehicle and walking.

ninjatune 06-12-2010 10:43 PM

You aren't required to carry id on your person unless you are driving (then you'd need your drivers licence)

If a peace officer begins a legal process with you then you do need to satisfy them of your identity, whether thats by providing id or verbally stating your name and address + other applicable indicators. If they have reasonable grounds that you are being deceitful then you'll most likely be warned for obstructing a police officer. Keep lying and it's quite easy to get arrested!

Bicycles ridden on the street or sidewalk are considered vehicles and are subject to the rules of the BC Motor Vehicle Act. You can be ticketed for no helmet, disobey red light at intersection, speeding in municipality etc etc.

jlenko 06-12-2010 10:48 PM

It's in your best interests to carry ID with you at all times. You never know when you'll need it.

What if you got run over... and you were unconscious, in a coma, whatever... in the hospital. Don't you think your family would like to know? How are people supposed to figure out who you are if you have no ID on you?

I even have a card in my wallet - "In case of emergency".. who to contact, with their phone numbers. It comes in very handy...

xilley 06-13-2010 01:23 AM

then i got lucky the police believed my identity when he gave me a fine without showing ID * yet i was dum enough to give him my real name and address * FAIL

zulutango 06-13-2010 04:45 AM

You could be required to identify yourself as I stated above...having some picture ID would make it much easier to do so. If Police are not convinced that you are who you say you are (gee you mean people give false names to Police???) you may be legally detained until you are. Picture ID = outta there quickly. Cyclists and pedestrians could need to be identifed for things like jaywalking tickets or riding on sidewalks. If you're getting a VT they need your identity.

dutch 06-13-2010 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info zulutango.

underscore 06-14-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6989456)
It's in your best interests to carry ID with you at all times. You never know when you'll need it.

What if you got run over... and you were unconscious, in a coma, whatever... in the hospital. Don't you think your family would like to know? How are people supposed to figure out who you are if you have no ID on you?

I even have a card in my wallet - "In case of emergency".. who to contact, with their phone numbers. It comes in very handy...

I have a contact in my phone labelled ICE (In Case of Emergency) with my home number and parents cell, that of course banks on whoever may find me actually helping vs just jacking my phone lol.

Five-Oh 06-15-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BD2002 (Post 6989124)
You do not.

What's the applicable difference between walking and biking?

We don't live in a fascist nation.

This is wrong.

As Zulu said here earlier if the officer is going to start a legal process then you have to provide identification. Simplified down even further, if the officer sees you commit any type of offence, you are required to show identification if you are driving, cycling, or walking. That being said, there are many times where you are not required to give identification. We could 'what if' this to death on here because it is almost always situational dependant and no officer on here can give a be all and end all explanation on this topic.

I have said this many times on here before and I will say it again, if you are going to refuse to provide identification make sure you know your rights and when you have to or when you do not have to provide identification to an officer upon request. If an officer is making a lawful demand and you refuse, you have opened yourself up to being arrested and charged with obstruction.

wing_woo 06-21-2010 11:39 AM

Just happened to me today. Was walking into Walmart and officer asked to talk to me. He asked me a few quick questions and let me go. He ran into me again inside Walmart this time and this time he asked for ID saying that I really looked like someone he is on the lookout for. He asked me for my ID and what car I drive and color as well as license plate. Took about 5 minutes for him to make his calls to verify everything I told him and then apologized and told me to have a nice day.
So, it took like 5 minutes and he was polite throughout the whole process. Even when he was waiting for a response, he acknowledged that he was holding me up by giving me a heads up saying it won't be much longer. I just find that by not giving attitude and being polite helps. If I were to refuse, I'd probably still be there right now.

The only thing I wonder now is what the guy who looked like me did...haha.

zulutango 06-21-2010 03:57 PM

You were walking into Wally World....NOW we know what you did wrong :)

wing_woo 06-21-2010 04:30 PM

Actually, the first thing he asked me was whether I just came out of Home Outfitters...haha. Walmart police making sure I shop at Walmart only? :)
I'm guessing someone did something there and he saw me coming from that general direction I guess, but I was coming from my car in the parking lot, which is why I gave him my car information when he asked.