REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Ice skating drills or tips for improving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617394-ice-skating-drills-tips-improving.html)

jello24 06-13-2010 09:22 PM

Ice skating drills or tips for improving

'Sup fellow skaters. Here to ask for some drills or tips on how to improve my skating skills to move into power skating this fall. Criteria to get into power skating is forward skating, crossovers and hockey stop facing one way. I'd like to surpass these benchmarks by a mile by fall.

Some background:
-Started skating in April 2010 in a Surrey Learn to Skate program where they ranked me in the mid-intermediate level on getting out.
-Can skate pretty good and fast forwards, good left crossovers, below average right crossovers, straight backwards at a good, steady speed (not fast)
-Can do a half hockey stop facing left where my right foot leads and scrapes well but my left foot trails perpendicular for balance. My left foot doesnt scrape at all. The toe cap just points back and supports my whole body which is stupid.
-Cannot do hockey stops facing the right (too scared to turn that way i dont know), and backwards crossovers.

I'd like to get some tips on how to learn to scrape with both my feet on a hockey stop and not just my lead foot, learn to hockey stop on my weak side, and maybe not fall when doing backwards crossovers.

I've watched every youtube video, I've bought Laura Stamm's book which is geared to the more advanced skaters it seems.

Thanks guys.

RayBot 06-14-2010 08:39 AM

Dude...looks to me you're on the right track. Keep at it, and we'll be asking you for tips from what you actually professionally learned.....aka. the RIGHT way to skate.

Jgresch 06-14-2010 08:49 AM

props for getting out and learning man.

A left facing stop doesn't always need your back foot to scrape as well. It will come with time, but your right foot should be dominant during this stop anyways. I taught a few friends stops/starts a couple weeks ago at public skating. I found it was easier for them to stop with one foot (right foot) and just leave the left foot a bit in the air, after the stop is completed, the left foot can be dropped, and then a single right foot crossover can be done go get some speed into the opposite direction :)

Backwards crossovers stay low and put an arm in the air for balance. the lower your centre of gravity is and the wider your stance, the easier it will be.

The first time learning to stop using your weaker side is a lot tougher than learning with your strong side. Just slowly work your way into a full stop. Angle your foot just a little bit more each time. Even if your not stopping but just slowing yourself down, it will help you become more comfortable using your left foot. This is also hard to learn because you will be on the wrong edge of your right skate. Pratice your crossovers turning right first and this stop will come soon after.

jello24 06-14-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6990983)
Dude...looks to me you're on the right track. Keep at it, and we'll be asking you for tips from what you actually professionally learned.....aka. the RIGHT way to skate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6990991)
props for getting out and learning man.

thanks for the response guys. good to know i'm not too behind in the learning curve. so i guess its always the same thing. bend your knees and things will go well.

i guess practicing my right (weak) side's going to be easier said than done. Public skating's always going to the left which is a pretty big bummer. maybe ill ask one of them skating chicks to just switch it up a bit next session...

tacobell 06-14-2010 09:45 AM

Are you looking to get into hockey? If you are, another step into big time improvement and advantage over recreational players is to build up your quads, thighs. You will want to work on your explosion from a standing position.

I do stop start drills - from standing position, explode, stride, accelerate, stride, then stop. 5 m distance. Keep your intensity high and build up those muscles. Once you develop that quick first step, not many rec players will be able to catch you.

there's a clip around the 40 sec mark. A twist you can add, for your starting position, be on all fours like a defensive lineman, then launch forward for your drill.

jello24 06-14-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacobell (Post 6991066)

yeah that clip is what i hope to be skating like in 2-10 years, minus the bungee cords in the ankles. Dont want to look too cocky out there.

thanks for the tips dudes... went to RIC and did some of what you guys said, stayed low, arms in the air and lo and behold i was doing backwards crossovers around a faceoff circle. It's sketchy sometimes but whatever. I'll have it down by wednesday and saturday. and i was actually building up speed while doing it. damn you guys are good teachers.

Good tips guys thanks.

Jgresch 06-14-2010 08:47 PM

bring a hockey stick if you aren't already. Helps loads for balance, and you can always put weight on it if you ever feel like youre gonna bail.

RayBot 06-15-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6991878)
bring a hockey stick if you aren't already. Helps loads for balance, and you can always put weight on it if you ever feel like youre gonna bail.

Thats not necessarily a good thing....bad habits will form if you 'learn' with a hockey stick. You gain dependency on your hockey stick for balance if you decide to bring it out.

Jgresch 06-15-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayBot (Post 6992434)
Thats not necessarily a good thing....bad habits will form if you 'learn' with a hockey stick. You gain dependency on your hockey stick for balance if you decide to bring it out.

well if he is aiming towards learning to play hockey (I'm not really sure if that's the case) learning with a stick wouldn't be too bad because he is going to be playing with one anyway.

B-DiZzLe 06-16-2010 02:13 AM

To be able to do a full hockey stop at full speed, you will need to gain confidence in using all ur edges properly. I recently took a power skating level 1 class at caplan sports in Burnaby (8 rinks), and to be honest they just teach you the fundamentals and you will need to practise on your own to be fully capable of being able to do what you're taught. They will watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong and assist you. The class is one hour long, they teach you one skating skill (forward stride, crossovers, stopping etc) and one hockey skill (wrist shot, snap shot, passing etc) per class, it's approx $111 tax included for 7 sessions.

I find that I have improved as a player overall and not just a skater, I'm not sure if you want to get yourself into hockey but I can tell you bailing with your full gear on is much better than bailing without. You will not go from a 1 goal / season player into a 30 goal / season player but you will gain confidence in your game and you will become a better skater. Another thing is you will not get any better if you dont practise, it's not magic you need to put what your taught to use, practise makes perfect and no matter how many times you fall just get right up and do it again because you will eventually get it. If you ask me would I recommend it, I would tell you it's probably one of the best $111 I've ever spent. If you don't think you're ready for this class, lemme tell you that there are girls in my class and there are people that can't even forward stride, from what I read you're ahead of half my class already.

jello24 06-16-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 6991878)

Although I am planning to start playing hockey, using a hockey stick as a crutch probably isnt going to be very helpful. I'm from the school of thought that if you can skate without a stick in your hand, you can do just fine with one. And i don't plan on touching a hockey stick until my skating's silky smooth. May take years, may take months...

besides, no hockey sticks allowed in public skating as far as i know. Stick and puck times are a conflict so those are out as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6993801)
I recently took a power skating level 1 class at caplan sports in Burnaby (8 rinks), and to be honest they just teach you the fundamentals and you will need to practise on your own to be fully capable of being able to do what you're taught.

If you ask me would I recommend it, I would tell you it's probably one of the best $111 I've ever spent.

Thanks for the review on the 8-Rinks classes. I was eyeing those sessions until i saw the times. morning start times don't work for me since I work full time.

Connaught skating club's CanPower courses seem more suited to me since they have 5 pm start times, which is right down my alley. Probably won't be the same experience as the one held in 8-Rinks, but I have no choice.

Great to know it helped a lot though. It's something i'm set on doing now, thanks a lot.

Hondaracer 06-24-2010 01:21 PM

During power skating courses do u wear full gear? I'm looking to improve my skating as well
Posted via RS Mobile

SumAznGuy 06-24-2010 03:00 PM

I do believe hockey power skating courses require you to wear full gear.

When I was young, I went to www.rpmhockey.com and we had to wear full gear.

I agree with what Raybot said. Learn to skate without the stick so you don't pick up any bad habbits. I see too many players who lean on the sticks like a third leg when they skate or drag their skates when they take strides.

But honestly, powerskating courses don't teach you things you can't learn by asking some of the guys here on RS. It's practice that will make you better.

Hondaracer 06-24-2010 03:25 PM

$135 for 7 sessions is a great price to practice for the ice time you get

I've played in the ASHL before div 5 but I know my skating can improve alot and it's definately my weak spot at the moment
Posted via RS Mobile

SumAznGuy 06-24-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7004201)
skating can improve alot and it's definately my weak spot at the moment

A lot about hockey is in the skating. Shooting the pick, stick handling all require you to be strong on your skates. If you can improve your skating, then that will make a huge impact on your game.

Next is your strength, Leg strength, arms, and abdominal muscles.

Last, my biggest problem, lose the excess weight.