REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Good Places for U-Brew Beer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617701-good-places-u-brew-beer.html)

punkwax 05-23-2013 07:59 AM

I have yet to try a U-Brew that I've enjoyed..

SlySi 05-28-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8243754)
I've tried U-Brew places a few times in the past, and never really been a big fan.

I find the taste from those beer kits not that great, and the shelf life of U-Brew beer sucks. Sure you get 12 dozen beers for $150, but they start going bad after 2-3 months. I likes my beer, but I can't possibly drink that much in that amount of time.

Yeah.. same here. Iv done about 6 batches. Trying out different tastes and combination.
Not sure if its where I made the batches.
There never seems to be a high enough alcohol percentage on them.
All my batches have a taste of watered Coors Lite.

Graeme S 05-28-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 8243754)
I've tried U-Brew places a few times in the past, and never really been a big fan.

I find the taste from those beer kits not that great, and the shelf life of U-Brew beer sucks. Sure you get 12 dozen beers for $150, but they start going bad after 2-3 months. I likes my beer, but I can't possibly drink that much in that amount of time.

Culverin and I go in and split batches...we must be alcoholics because generally speaking we'll order a new batch for two weeks out...and run out just around the same time.

24 litres of beer (each) in 14 days. Whoops.

GLOW 05-28-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6995704)
by the way, i went to spagnols and bought these 2L bottles of home brew beer.
it looks like this:

Contact Support

they sell it for under 3 bucks! thats equal to a six pack. all you do is put a yeast capsule inside, and screw on the new lid. wait 10 days, fridge, and its ready.

there's a thread in off-topic but it seems appropriate to post there. i also just bought a couple 2L (not sureif the same as your link is dead). it's called big & easy brew...it cost $6.95 though...bought a cerveza and pilsner to see how it is...i'll report back on how good it is...wish i could find a $3 version if it's decent.

punkwax 05-28-2013 03:26 PM

^ So using round numbers (3 beer / ltr) pretty much 72 beer in 14 days? ~5 beer a day.. that makes me feel much better about myself.

Thank you Graeme S & Culverin! :D

Graeme S 05-28-2013 03:29 PM

Beer doesn't grow in cans, y'know. When you DIY it, most people do it in either 500mL or 1L bottles. You end up with very different consumption tallies when it works out that way, because two beers equals three (355x3 and 500x2 work out almost the same). Often you don't realize that you had a lot more to drink than you normally would just because you're not going through as many units.

One batch is 48 litres give or take, and you bottle it however you'd like. Cans are cheaper up front, but not reusable. Bottles are a bit more expensive (especially glass) but can be used until they die. But like the man said, there's a thread in the food & drink forum...so I'll merge this topic over later tonight.

punkwax 05-28-2013 03:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, certainly not judging. I go through quite a bit of beer & wine myself. And I'm not keen on returning cans/bottles... the size of my returns are usually a little embarrassing when I get around to doing it :lol

Graeme S 05-28-2013 08:40 PM

Culverin and I go to West Coast U-brew:
Beer - West Coast U Brew

So far we've tried (IIRC):
Mike's IPA - Beer - West Coast U Brew
A decent brew, but not something I'd call a super-hoppy IPA. Not too dissimilar from Tree Brewing's Cutthroat Pale Ale.
Hopzilla - Beer - West Coast U Brew
I loved this shit (but I love 'em crazy hoppy), it had even more bite than the Tree Brewing Hop Head
Highlands Scottish Ale - Beer - West Coast U Brew
This stuff was fun, smooth and a little hoppy, and it made Darthchilli want to go franchise it and sell it as a proper beer to people.

Next up (on the 6th) is the 20th Anniversary Special Ale...which I got because it was on special, and I was like "fuckit, why not."

I am thinking of talking to a couple of my buddies who do home brew and starting that out, 'cause after you've bought the equipment it brings the price down to around sixty cents a beer. Which is very very shiney.

sonick 05-29-2013 09:26 AM

Anybody try Mr. Bottle Brew? [Fun] Mister Beer Bottle Brew - Page 34 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

GLOW 06-07-2013 10:23 PM

Well it's 2 weeks later for my lazy man's pill 2L homebrew so I figure I'd review if anyone cares. Popped it open, and there was carbonation. Had a little head when pouring it...first taste...had me like :considered:

Tasted like a beer. Little light but it was a cervasa...drinkable...but as others noted, the after taste not so great. And leaves you with bad breath. Tbh I felt like not stopping when drinking so I don't have that aftertaste in my mouth. Because when I drink the aftertaste was not there :lol

I felt like I needed to listerine after to get it out of my mouth. Overall I'd say it did the job but loses points bc of the aftertaste. Maybe not so bad if I was eating food. I'll have to see how the pilsner goes. At 40-50% savings and literally no work or equipment involved its interesting, but it definitely won't/cant replace my favorite beers I enjoy regularly.

Graeme S 06-07-2013 10:28 PM

I think it's time I did my research on homebrew; it's time for me to make some seriously quality cheap beers. Met up with a guy from CAMRA who's done some decent replicas of $8-12 craft beers for a buck a bottle or less.

Looking forward to this.

subordinate 06-08-2013 12:31 AM

I've had some beer from Burnaby U-brew. I was surprised at how good it was. It tasted like a more crisp version of Cariboo. It was very enjoyable.

Recently, had some homemade beer from a friend who used a groupon. URGhhhh...the after taste sucks ass.

artmotion 06-18-2013 04:22 PM

Bottled a batch of Hefeweizen 2 weeks ago and it should be ready to rock this weekend. Really excited to try it out.

Also thought I would mention, I bought 60 bottles from Howe Sound Brewery before I bottled this batch and they were only 50 cents a bottle. Make sure to call ahead if you're going to pick them up though, and buy some beers there while you're there. They offer a few that are exclusive to the brewery.

Graeme S 06-18-2013 04:30 PM

Ew, hef. Not a big fan of the yeastiness.

Where'd you do yours?

artmotion 06-18-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme S (Post 8262994)
Ew, hef. Not a big fan of the yeastiness.

Where'd you do yours?

Yeah it's not for everyone but I'm personally a big fan. I actually just did it at home with supplies from Barley's Homebrewing Supplies « 101-455 East Columbia St, New Westminster 604.553.1941 The owner is really knowledgeable and super friendly unlike what I heard about some other homebrew suppliers.

PJ 07-07-2013 01:49 PM

Couple questions about the cans and bottles

How much do the u-brew places charge for cans and bottles?

How does bringing your own bottles work? Do you just bring a case of washed empty beer bottles, and they add the caps there?

Presto 07-08-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ (Post 8276238)
Couple questions about the cans and bottles

How much do the u-brew places charge for cans and bottles?

How does bringing your own bottles work? Do you just bring a case of washed empty beer bottles, and they add the caps there?

I bring my own washed bottles. The Ubrew provides the caps and the machine to put them on. You can do twist or non-twist bottles. My brother-in-law purchased his bottles. I just re-used old bottles. Cans were $17 for ~66 cans. Cans are good if you have to bring your beer somewhere, but don't want to haul back empties. Bottles are the way to go, in the long run.

You can buy a bottle-tree for drying many bottles at once. I just wash them as I drink them, and dry them on the dish rack, and put it in a box so they're ready for the next batch.