REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Barbecuing in Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619207-barbecuing-vancouver.html)

Drow 07-06-2010 08:39 PM

Barbecuing in Vancouver

Hey guys, a couple friends and i wanna get together and start up a barbecue in a park in richmond / vancouver, but i heard about the policy on no open fires in vancouver without a permit. Does bringing a bbq grill to the park count as an open fire? We're gonna use propane. and propane accessories.

p.s. anyone got any good places to recommend for these types of stuff?

:wiggle:

InvisibleSoul 07-06-2010 11:33 PM

Propane should be fine. Charcoal grills, not so much.

bcrdukes 07-07-2010 12:04 AM

I may be wrong but my co-worker recently did some homework on the definition of "open fires" in Vancouver. I think charcoal BBQs are okay as long as there's a charcoal pit available (not all parks have this!) If you plan on bringing a propane BBQ to a park, that should be fine.

Oh, and he was looking to buy a fire pit for his backyard and unfortunately, they're a big no-no in the City of Vancouver. :p

TOS'd 07-07-2010 12:14 AM

Also, parks with undercover areas can be reserved with permits. So, you may or may not get booted out of there by someone who reserved it for the day.

q0192837465 07-07-2010 03:47 PM

last year we brought a charcoal bbq to spanish banks an did it there. Was it legal or did we just got lucky we didnt get fined?

winson604 07-07-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7019111)
Also, parks with undercover areas can be reserved with permits. So, you may or may not get booted out of there by someone who reserved it for the day.

Werd. Go to the following link on info and how to book a table.

http://vancouver.ca/parks/info/picnic/index.htm

Also under Vancouver Parks FAQ it says:

3. Which picnic locations have BBQs ?

The following reservable sites have BBQs:
Memorial South Park
Riverfront Park
Maple Grove Park

At all other locations, you must bring your own BBQ. It must be 30" from the ground and full clean up is required. Coals must be doused with cold water and removed. If there is an extreme fire warning you cannot use charcoal (propane only). No BBQs on the sandy beach areas, and no fires allowed at any time.

CorneringArtist 07-07-2010 04:21 PM

I brought a charcoal BBQ to White Rock Beach,which has a no open fire policy, and had the cops come by the table we set it up on. They had their ticket books out, but I guess they saw we weren't drinking or being disruptive, and continued on down the beach without issuing us a ticket. That, or we were lucky or charcoal doesn't count as an "open flame".

EDIT, didn't see winson604's post: Maybe those rules applied at White Rock Beach as well.

-lincolnboi- 07-07-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 7019904)
last year we brought a charcoal bbq to spanish banks an did it there. Was it legal or did we just got lucky we didnt get fined?

did the same thing last week, saw some cops on atvs patrolling, but I guess it was okay, or they didn't care lol

Amuse 07-07-2010 10:47 PM

How about in Burnaby? Is Central Park allowed to BBQ?

!e.lo_ 07-07-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 7020466)
How about in Burnaby? Is Central Park allowed to BBQ?

Did a bbq there couple years ago with charcoal, no problems.
Don't know if policy has changed for Burnaby..

bigzz786786 07-07-2010 11:13 PM

im actually doing a charcoal bbq at spanish banks soon

i talked to the borad of parks and recreation and they said its fine, no permit needed either, unless feeding over 50 people that is

other than that bbq needs to be 30" off the ground

Culverin 07-07-2010 11:57 PM

Iunno, but I brought a deep fryer there and made fresh hot wings. :thumbsup: