REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Failed Provincial Inspection Help! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619559-failed-provincial-inspection-help.html)

cleanblk240 07-11-2010 03:05 PM

Failed Provincial Inspection Help!
 
I just imported a 05 Subaru STI from the US and am in the process of trying to pass federal and provincial inspections. I took the car into Canadian Tire on Cambie to get some information and the guy told me that I will not pass inspection without DRL's (Daylight Running Lights), removal of front pass/driver tint and exhaust being too loud and exhaust opening too large. The tint is no big deal but they quoted me $350 to install DRL's and they said I needed to put the stock exhaust back on to pass provincial inspection. I am wondering if anyone has been through this same process and found a better alternative rather than having to get the stock exhaust back on and pay the outrageous price to install DRL's. If you know any shops that can install DRL's cheaper and can do provincial inspections that dont require the removal of the aftermarket exhaust that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

bcrdukes 07-11-2010 03:13 PM

Try some of the RS Sponsors. I think SoudsGood can do your DRLs.

Meowjin 07-11-2010 03:15 PM

:lol:
Posted via RS Mobile

ericthehalfbee 07-11-2010 03:25 PM

This is why you get the provincial done first at a shop other than Canadian Tire and leave the Federal to them.

You should really ask a Subaru dealer about the DRL's. On some cars it's as easy as switching them on with a scan tool or inserting a plug/relay. Some vehicles are a little more involved, but I can't see a Subaru being that difficult.

Finding a shop that will do provincial inspections that dont require the removal of the aftermarket exhaust is getting smaller due to all the crackdowns by the Vehicle Inspection Branch on all the crooked inspectors/shops. It really depends on what you mean by "too loud". If it's borderline you might find a shop that will pass your car. But if it's extremely loud, that's going to be difficult.

Do you still have the factory exhaust? How hard can it be to switch back (unless they butchered or welded the new one in)?



Another word of advice - don't ever buy a modded car without getting the stock parts as well. As an example, I know a dealer that took a Lexus IS on trade that was modded and from Alberta. They didn't think to inspect the car before accepting the trade. They brought it to us for inspection and to see why the check engine light was on. Well, the CEL was on because the previous owner butchered the exhaust. He had a complete aftermarket system right from the exhaust manifolds right through to the rear muffler. There were no cats at all on this vehicle so the computer was setting codes for Cat Efficiency Below Threshold. The previous owner had the remnants of an O2 Sensor Simulator installed (obviously trying to turn off the light himself), but those don't work on cars with newer fuel injection sytsems (it only works on cars with "stupid" ECU's). They contacted the owenr who threw the old parts out. Wanna guess how much Lexus wanted for new manifolds and cats? About $6,000.

icemiko 07-11-2010 03:33 PM

Canadian Tire :lol

Nssan 07-11-2010 08:20 PM

1. take it to Subaru to get them to install it
2. A-1 Auto , will do DRL and all the inspections for you
3. Buy a $40 DRL part at Canadian Tire and do it yourself by turn the side light on permanently then, take it to A-1 Auto


Is there an insert you can put into the exhaust opening? or go on NOSIAC and pay to borrow someone's stock exhaust.. i can ask my friend he has a 06 STI stock, but you have to pay him.

yoall 07-11-2010 08:25 PM

some guy on Nasioc is giving away a free 02 wrx exhaust. should work on your 06 sti.

good luck.

oh, remove the glove box to see if you can install a relay into the DRL. I know its under there. dont know how to get it to work tho.

cleanblk240 07-11-2010 09:49 PM

thanks for the responses guys

pingu81 07-11-2010 11:06 PM

You can get away with doing the DRL's for cheap. They do not have to be "OEM DRL's". Pick up a set of fog lights from Princess Auto etc for $20 and wire them to a fuse location thats active when the key is on position II. You can either install them yourself (not that hard if you have basic electrical knowledge) or get a shop to do it (should be about 1 hour of labour)

Klobbersaurus 07-12-2010 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 7025185)
You can get away with doing the DRL's for cheap. They do not have to be "OEM DRL's". Pick up a set of fog lights from Princess Auto etc for $20 and wire them to a fuse location thats active when the key is on position II. You can either install them yourself (not that hard if you have basic electrical knowledge) or get a shop to do it (should be about 1 hour of labour)

if your doing that, you better do it correctly, i'd fail your car on the fed if you did it that way

Klobbersaurus 07-12-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleanblk240 (Post 7024732)
I just imported a 05 Subaru STI from the US and am in the process of trying to pass federal and provincial inspections. I took the car into Canadian Tire on Cambie to get some information and the guy told me that I will not pass inspection without DRL's (Daylight Running Lights), removal of front pass/driver tint and exhaust being too loud and exhaust opening too large. The tint is no big deal but they quoted me $350 to install DRL's and they said I needed to put the stock exhaust back on to pass provincial inspection. I am wondering if anyone has been through this same process and found a better alternative rather than having to get the stock exhaust back on and pay the outrageous price to install DRL's. If you know any shops that can install DRL's cheaper and can do provincial inspections that dont require the removal of the aftermarket exhaust that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

had a guy with a mazda3 come in, wanted to save money on his drl after we quoted him 350 but mazda said they could do it for $200, we said go ahead, he came back with the fog lights always on and i told him to take it back and tell them to do it correctly, told them what i wanted and they couldnt do it, the guy wasted 2 days and had us do it for $400 cuz we had to undo what mazda did

ericthehalfbee 07-12-2010 07:07 AM

^ I think that's an exception as opposed to a rule.

I've repaired countless improperly done DRL's from CT including one guy who needed a new engine computer ($2,000) because someone from CT decided it would be a good idea to use an ECU power feed to supply the DRL's.

"Hey, here's a wire that has 12V when the ignition is on - it'll work great to turn on the DRL's."

Phil@rise 07-12-2010 09:13 AM

We can handle all your inspection repairs and needs.

cleanblk240 07-12-2010 06:04 PM

UPDATE: I have to tint and DRL's figured out, now all I need is to find a stock STI exhaust or a place that does provincial inspections that will pass my aftermarket exhaust.

pingu81 07-12-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus (Post 7025270)
if your doing that, you better do it correctly, i'd fail your car on the fed if you did it that way

And the reason you say such a comment like that is...? Do you know how DRL's are supposed to operate and what their purpose is? I did this for my own car and 2 of my friends cars and they all passed with flying colors.

wacko604 07-13-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 7026401)
And the reason you say such a comment like that is...? Do you know how DRL's are supposed to operate and what their purpose is? I did this for my own car and 2 of my friends cars and they all passed with flying colors.


If the fogs are wired properly they are suppose to shut off when the high beams are on. It is illegal to have high beams and fogs on at the sametime. On a side note alot of ppl install those aftermarket drl modules incorrectly and are backfeeding power.

ericthehalfbee 07-13-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 7026401)
And the reason you say such a comment like that is...? Do you know how DRL's are supposed to operate and what their purpose is? I did this for my own car and 2 of my friends cars and they all passed with flying colors.

Then I suggest the OP go to the same shop you did since they obviously don't know the rules or don't care. They'll probably pass his car even if the exhaust is illegal, so he doesn't even need to worry about changing it.

Klobbersaurus 07-13-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu81 (Post 7026401)
And the reason you say such a comment like that is...? Do you know how DRL's are supposed to operate and what their purpose is? I did this for my own car and 2 of my friends cars and they all passed with flying colors.

yea i know and just to be an ass about it, if he comes back with this, ill stamp his form 2 as a fail and make him pay the reinspect :thumbsup:

underscore 07-13-2010 09:40 AM

might I ask why you didn't bother to learn any of the things required to pass inspection BEFORE you imported a car?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I know people who have tried to import cars only to find them unpassable/uninsurable without spending absurd amounts of money (one car had no VIN's....)

seekerbeta 07-13-2010 11:21 AM

the vin thing is easy is it not? import as a kit car and get a BCVIN put on it.

underscore 07-13-2010 11:27 AM

well it went through all but the federal inspection before someone realized it had no VIN.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net