REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   is it illegal to carry a pocket knife on you or in your vehicle? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619744-illegal-carry-pocket-knife-you-your-vehicle.html)

c32 07-13-2010 10:57 PM

is it illegal to carry a pocket knife on you or in your vehicle?

sorry for the stupid question but is it okay to carry a pocket knife around just incase you need it for an emergancy(not to kill someone), or maybe to have one in the car? for example like a bear was attacking your buddy up in the mountains what can you do?

yamahar6 07-13-2010 11:05 PM

you would be better off using bear spray:thumbsup: haha, I think there is a certain size you can carry and it cant be spring operated??

"Certain knives are designated as 'prohibited weapons' pursuant to the Criminal Code of Canada. Section 84(1) defines such knives as "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife"

Inaii 07-13-2010 11:09 PM

A pocket knife isn't going to help you against a bear... That's just going to piss it off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, certain types of knives are considered concealed weapons if not openly displayed. I believe pocket knives with a blade over 2" is considered a weapon and you have to have a permit if you're going to conceal it. Also, switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal in Canada (or was it just BC). Unless you're talking a swiss army knife, then I think it's okay to have in your pocket.

Fafine 07-13-2010 11:13 PM

you can carry a knife on your belt buckle because it's a tool but it has to be a certain size. and since its on your belt its not concealed.

Culverin 07-14-2010 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 7028067)
A pocket knife isn't going to help you against a bear... That's just going to piss it off. Also, if I'm not mistaken, certain types of knives are considered concealed weapons if not openly displayed. I believe pocket knives with a blade over 2" is considered a weapon and you have to have a permit if you're going to conceal it. Also, switchblades and butterfly knives are illegal in Canada (or was it just BC). Unless you're talking a swiss army knife, then I think it's okay to have in your pocket.

So a tactical knife being over a 2" blade is out of the question?

What's conceal mean? And how does that compare to storage?
Like backpack vs belt vs pocket?

Inaii 07-14-2010 08:19 AM

Like I said, I'm fairly sure over a certain length you have to have a permit to carry it. And conceal means to hide it. So anywhere that is not plainly visible. If one of the PO's want to chime in and either yay or nay my info, that would be awesome :) The place I used to work for sold knives, so we had to know which were legal to sell and which had to have permits, but that was a few years ago, so I'm quite sure the rules might have changed. If I were OP I'd just call up the local detachment and ask.

6793026 07-14-2010 09:32 AM

conceal .... maybe you shoudl look up on google.

if you're planning to take a rambo knife and hide it behind your back, that's not allowed. since it's concealed and for sure it's over the limit (in length)
if it's a pocket knife, on ur keychain or if u put it on ur tool belt eg// an installation technician for a company, it'll be fine.

more details on google: on canadian laws and regulation on weapons

gdoh 07-14-2010 10:01 AM

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...dian-Knife-law

read the post on the bottom hope it helps

Purely 07-14-2010 10:53 AM

Sorry, I know this is a bit off topic.. but is it illegal to carry a baton on you or in your vehicle? I see those shops selling Batons and Knives at the night market.

gdoh 07-14-2010 11:04 AM

the batons at night market are one use only i used it once and had to toss it after cuz it got all fucked up

BallPeenHammer2 07-14-2010 11:22 AM

they are considered weapons, yes.

Honestly, I keep sports equipment in the car. I don't like the idea of keeping anything in my car that's potentially incriminating and used to beat ppl, but I've ran into situations while driving where a driver gets so raged up over misunderstandings that physical confrontations ensue. (once pointed out a dude with a open gas lid and missing cap and he thought I was giving him some sort of insult.)

HAFAST 07-15-2010 11:20 PM

I had a fish club in my car once and an officer saw it and when I explained what it was to the officer he asked what it was doing there I pointed at my fishing rod and tackle box and said i just came back from fishing. He said ok and that was it.
Posted via RS Mobile

cunninglinguist 07-25-2010 09:27 PM

You can carry a pocket knife with you any size as long it is going to be used as a tool, not as a weapon. For instance, if you carry a machete in the woods, that is fine. If you are carrying around a machete walking downtown there may be some issues.

Said pocket knife can't be a switchblade or butterfly knife.

Federally, there are no laws regarding size but there might be municipally. Also, knife can't be concealed. Unless you are special or part of jtf2 nobody will get a concealed permit for knife carry.

underscore 07-25-2010 10:50 PM

as far as concealing goes, I've been lead to believe that as long as part of the knife is visible at all times, it's not considered concealed. This came from a friend who sometimes carries one around with it in his front pocket, with it clipped on backwards so that only the clip is really visible.