REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Ever been charged duty/taxes/tarriffs for a day trip to the states? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620256-ever-been-charged-duty-taxes-tarriffs-day-trip-states.html)

Gnomes 07-20-2010 04:28 PM

Ever been charged duty/taxes/tarriffs for a day trip to the states?

Just wondering. We can bring back duty free - $50 for a stay between 24-48 hours. But under 24hrs is $0. I dont go to the states often (probably once a year). Each time I go we declare under $50 for a stay under 24 hrs but we never get hit with taxes.

TRDood 07-20-2010 04:36 PM

your post doesnt really make sense, but you are subject to duties and taxes according to the rules. if you didnt need to pay, then u just got a break from the casb agent.
Posted via RS Mobile

Hehe 07-20-2010 07:19 PM

The thing of one day shopping trip is this, there's a certain threshold the custom agents take. Because the forms and times for duties/taxes filling cost money... and if the amount of taxes gained is equal or lower than the cost, they will usually just let you go. As they will otherwise lose money by sending you in to do the paperworks.

So say if you purchase a 20 bucks t-shirt, the tax revenue is a bit over 2 bucks... then the form itself is probably 80ct a copy assuming it's filled out correctly with no second copy needed, the wage for an agent to deal with your paperwork on their hourly rate is probably 5~10 bucks... it would be nuts to ask you to pay taxes on them

But if you have a $1000 tires, that's another story.

iamon 07-24-2010 09:21 AM

its better to declare what you bought then get busted and having to pay more than the regular duty. we usually declare around 120 each and they let us through.

SoulCrusher 07-24-2010 12:20 PM

I did a day trip to Seattle with my girlfriend a couple of months ago. We bought approx $1200 worth of stuff. I told the agent we spent about $450/each and he let it go. So with that said, I think it all comes down to a judgment call on their part.

racerman88 07-25-2010 08:03 AM

it depends on the border guard. It is hit or miss.

jackmeister 07-25-2010 09:16 AM

its also advantageous to pick the busiest time to return, such as 6-10pm,

when they're really busy they tend to let more go.

6793026 07-27-2010 08:18 PM

their duties is to protect the borders and collecting duties is more like a secondary job.

It's their job to enforce these rules, regulations and laws, so yes while he can tax you $1 dollar on the piece of gum you bought, their leniency is something to be appreciated and not a privilege.