REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   mail theft (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620335-mail-theft.html)

Solo_D33A 07-21-2010 01:58 PM

mail theft

We have had our mail box broken into, changed the lock, still broken into, changed the mail box to a custom one, still broken into... I've had a police file since it involves company cheques being stolen, but they still able to cash the cheque via different banks... and we've not heard of the police back other than twice asking if we had a specific tenant...

Anyone know what security cameras with night vision on DVR is good?

mkchoi0801 07-21-2010 02:55 PM

do you think you can catch the thief just by their appearances tho? if there's a specific pattern, just camp out with buddies with baseball bats :P

wobuffet 07-21-2010 03:15 PM

isn't mail delivered usually in the morning or sometimes around noon??
is it those apartment mailboxes? or like one standing in front of your house kinda thing

Solo_D33A 07-21-2010 06:23 PM

I don't know if baseballing someone's good idea. lol

I take the letter daily, the mailman comes morning-noon I collect them at 1-3pm

house, I cut a slot on side of a craftsman toolbox with lock, but still doesn't work... I was told to open a PO box by a friend... 200/year's not that bad for a place that's secure....

AccordCouped 08-09-2010 03:42 PM

why dont you get one of those slots on your door?

Soundy 08-09-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 7037468)
Anyone know what security cameras with night vision on DVR is good?

How much are you willing to pay for a USABLE solution? Those cheap package systems you get at Costco are crap and not worth the boxes they're shipped in. There are lots of other options that will do the job, but you really do get what you pay for.

johny 08-09-2010 10:21 PM

how are they cashing checks in somebody elses name?...

mkchoi0801 08-10-2010 10:02 AM

maybe u can go to one of those moneymart or some other fast cheque cashing places with a fake ID.

Volitaire 08-10-2010 05:41 PM

Contact Canada Postal Inspectors, they have GPS mailbox bait packs they can put in place if you're suffering from high B&Es.

Solo_D33A 08-12-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7062021)
how are they cashing checks in somebody elses name?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 (Post 7062572)
maybe u can go to one of those moneymart or some other fast cheque cashing places with a fake ID.

We've had contacts from RBC, HSBC, and Vancity... apparently some are deposited into bank machines and withdrawn to got money from there....:rolleyes:

I've bought a locking mailbox from the states for about 200, USPS certified, haven't got broken in / evidence of attempt yet as far as I know....

Solo_D33A 08-12-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volitaire (Post 7063123)
Contact Canada Postal Inspectors, they have GPS mailbox bait packs they can put in place if you're suffering from high B&Es.

I think if they opened the package and it's not cheque, they'd throw it away though?

Volitaire 08-12-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 7065650)
I think if they opened the package and it's not cheque, they'd throw it away though?

they don't open it until later... they open the box and grab everything and throw it into a garbage bag... they can relay real time and get intercepted on way back to their house

why would you sit there and increase your chances of getting caught opening letters at the scene of the crime?

the same criminals are doing this over and over.. because when they get arrested.. this type of crime drops like 80%