REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   Cure to S/C Belt Slippage? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622386-cure-s-c-belt-slippage.html)

iwbtib 08-15-2010 05:45 AM

Cure to S/C Belt Slippage?

Hey guys, just had my tib tuned @ RG this past week, but we were having a problem with really bad belt slippage. When I changed my pulley, I also went down to a smaller belt which even seems to have must more tension than my old belt, but she's still slipping.

I know belt dressing won't really solve the problem, so what belt make do you other roots S/C guys suggest using? ATM It's a cheap prestone belt.

Phil@rise 08-15-2010 11:13 AM

What did RG suggest?
I'd suggest a better belt and a belt tensioner.
If that doesnt work then a wider belt. I'm assuming you've just got a four rib belt in there so step it up to a 7 rib but that would require new pulleys.

Jgresch 08-15-2010 11:30 AM

Have you posted this on NT yet?

iwbtib 08-15-2010 01:11 PM

Nah it's already a 6 rib. RG didn't suggest anything, we just used a bit of belt dressing that really didn't accomplish much. Belt tensioner is working great, I think i'll just need to invest in a better belt. This crappy tire one just isn't doing the trick =@

sean_wong 08-15-2010 01:50 PM

You get what you pay for. Get yourself a better belt, one thats tried tested and true.

Jgresch 08-15-2010 02:02 PM

^ I think he has one of the best you can buy if i'm not mistaken. Aftermarket support for the Tib is very weak, so there are only a few choices anyways

eurochevy 08-15-2010 05:20 PM

what kind of a belt are you looking for ??? i have a spare belt if you could use it i'll never use it again but again i dunno what size you need / width etc

AWDTurboLuvr 08-15-2010 08:59 PM

I use a Goodyear Gatorback or NAPA belt for my MINI. No belt slippage but I drive hard so I replace my belts 2x a year.

eurochevy 08-15-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr (Post 7069102)
I use a Goodyear Gatorback or NAPA belt for my MINI. No belt slippage but I drive hard so I replace my belts 2x a year.

...you drive your car so hard that you need to replace 2 belts a year........ummm....ok

AWDTurboLuvr 08-16-2010 12:07 PM

I change it once before track season and once afterwards. Due to belt stretching, I replace mine accordingly. I check via the wear indicator on my belt tensioner.

If your car only sees street duty, then you could go on two year intervals.

Bath Tussue 08-17-2010 07:29 PM

how much belt coverage does the pulley has?
I know for the honda K series engine, the two most commonly used superchargers has only about 30% coverage, add in a poor manual tensioner design by the s/c manufactures, people always has belt slip issues

speedking 08-21-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bath Tussue (Post 7071360)
how much belt coverage does the pulley has?
I know for the honda K series engine, the two most commonly used superchargers has only about 30% coverage, add in a poor manual tensioner design by the s/c manufactures, people always has belt slip issues

i never had problem with the belt slipping even after 8000rpm.

newguyoz 09-15-2010 04:39 AM

A belt tensioner would be the way to go if the belt is loose. But maybe have a look at the surface of the pulley itself. it may be that the machined surface is too polished for the belt to grip onto. if there is tension in the belt then perhaps look at roughing the mating face of the pulley to aid in friction on the belt.

Death2Theft 09-16-2010 09:51 PM

The best solution is a turbo charger or a gear driven supercharger.

iwbtib 02-09-2011 04:37 PM

Well, it's been 5 months but i'll update this LOL

Long story short, supercharger belt = fine, stage 4 clutchmasters clutch = toast =P
The belt wasn't slipping on the dyno, the clutch was giving out @ around 5000+ rpm. Didn't enjoy the extra 6 PSI.
All is well now after replacing it with a stage 4 ACT clutch

speedking 02-09-2011 09:47 PM

how much whp did you end up? how many psi are you running

need2speed 02-10-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr (Post 7069102)

+1 goodyear gatorback

marksport 02-16-2011 08:09 PM

I would look into Rechard Racing ultra grip pulleys if you plan to increase the boost. I had 2 fresh belts melt and break on the dyno while tuning.